Game of Thrones - SPOILER ALERT

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby neil » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Wow, they just chopped sean beans head off  :(  I wasnt expecting that. Fabulous telly, I cant wait for Mondays now. The cast/acting is second to none. Brilliant.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Ah so it's a tv show. I thought it's some game like Civilization or some malarky. :laugh:

Will have to check it out.
Last edited by tubby on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:42 pm

I thought it was a toilet thread !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:52 pm

For the unschooled, get on this fantasy drama

“I grew up with soldiers. I learned how to die a long time ago.”

One of the things I’ll miss about Sean Bean’s performance as Ned Stark is the dignity he brought to the role of a warrior, once powerful but now older and reluctant. A man whose sense of honor and nobility, of right and wrong, made me the moral compass that we, the viewers, can use while navigating through Game of Thrones. Sure, there are some good people in Westeros –- like the rest of The Stark family, for example –- but no one was the conscience, or the Jiminy Cricket to say the least, of what has transformed into the best show on television.

And bravo to writers and executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss for sticking to George R.R. Martin’s intended fate for poor Ned Stark; and to Alan Taylor who directed the sequence with such fluid beauty. Never before as a television series taken its lead character out this early in its run (and Ned Stark, for all intended purposes, has been our lead character for most of Season One). If this was on a broadcast or basic cable network, Ned Stark would have lived to see another day. Instead, his death — though pretty much forewarned by Varys (Conleth Hill) during his last visit to the dungeon — came as a devastating shock as King Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) defied both his Queen Mum Cersei’s (Lena Headey) wishes (to publicly humiliate and banish Ned Stark) and Sansa’s (Sophie Turner) pleas for mercy and orders Ned’s head to be chopped off in front a bloodthirsty mob.

The last scene played out like a Passion Play, with this day being Ned’s Good Friday. Varys pretty much laid it all out for him: if he didn’t “admit” to treason and swear an oath to Joffrey, harm will fall upon his daughters courtesy of Cersei. Ned is later dragged out into a public square named after the first king, Baelor (hence the episode’s title), and does just that after seeing both Arya (Maisie Williams) in the crowd and Sansa on the stage next to the Queen Mum. Joffrey’s surprise demand for Ned’s head makes him a martyr for his cause: his family. That is why viewers and readers have grown to love this character immensely (and have a tremendous amount of hate for that snotty little :censored: Joffrey).

And how awesome was it to see Arya, ready to brandish her sword Needle, in a vain attempt to save her father? Of course she wasn’t prepared for the consequences, which is why everyone’s favorite Night’s Watch recruiter, Yoren (Francis Mcgee), grabbed her by her arm and shielded her from the sight of her father’s brutal beheading (by his own sword nonetheless). All she hears is her and Yoren’s breathing. A flock of birds flee into the sky symbolizes her pain, which was our pain. There was nothing she or anyone else could have done to keep Ned Stark alive, to have me continue to stand up for truth and honor. He was truly the last of the noble men.

“When he dies, she’s nothing.”

Things aren’t looking so good for Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) and Khal Drogo (Jason Momoa) across The Narrow Sea either. Drogo’s flesh wound from last week is now infected and in his state of septic shock, he fell off his horse, which pretty much means he’s done for in the Dothraki culture. Daeny continues to issue orders to Drogo’s men but she’s also on shaky ground because once her husband goes, she and her unborn baby will be in danger. So, she demands that her Witch-slave perform some black magic to heal Drogo’s wound (which involves slitting his horse’s throat and having its blood gush onto him) and bring him back from his septic shock. This is too much for one Dothraki warrior and he attempts to kill The Witch but Ser Jorah (Iain Glen), now the loyal servant to Daeny, and in his armor, fights and slays the warrior. During the melee, Daeny is pushed to the ground and she goes into early labor. The only person who can help her is the witch, so in the last shot of this plotline, Jorah carries Daeny into the tent where The Witch is performing her spell.

Now, if Ned’s martyrdom had a Jesus-on-the-cross feel to it, Daeny’s story seems to resemble that of Aisha, the young wife of The Prophet Mohammed, whose people became divided either for or against after her husband passed on. She had her defenders (there were quite a few Ser Jorahs) and was able to live out her life until she died of old age but will Daeny be awarded the same fate?

“Love is the death of duty.”

Meanwhile at The Wall, Jon Snow (Kit Harington) receives a cool sword as a reward for killing the zombie who attempted to harm Lord Commander Mormont (James Cosmo), one that was intended for his son Ser Jorah before he fled Westeros. The other new Night’s Watchmen are excited to even see it, like a bunch of children crowding around a new video game console, everyone except Samwell (John Bradely). It turns out that Samwell has been reading Maester Aemon’s (Peter Vaughan) messages-by-raven. Robb (Richard Madden) is going to war against the Lannisters. Jon wants in but that would mean he would have to break his vows with The Night’s Watch. He is conflicted but some unsolicited advice from Maester Aemon, as well as his reveal to be Daney’s great-uncle, helps puts things in perspective for Jon Snow: there is honor and there is family. A person can only choose one. Both Ned and Daeny have chosen family, and it has cost them much more than they’d ever imagined.

“If I die, weep for me.”
“You’ll be dead. How would you know?”
“I’ll know.”

If there is someone who is very conflicted between allegiance to family and a sense of honor (to himself nonetheless) it’s Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage). He looks out for himself because no one else truly does (except for his brother Jaime but we’ll get to that later). His father Tywin (Charles Dance) could care less for him so he orders him to put on some armor and lead his new hill people warrior friends (“Shagga lines axes”) in the frontline of The Lannisters’ war against The Starks. That surely means instant death for The Imp so he storms back to his tent where Bronn (Jerome Flynn) waits for him with a foreign-born prostitute named Shae (Sibel Kekilli).

Tyrion opens up to Shae and tells her not only of how his mother dead while giving birth to him (a possible peek into why Tywin hates Tyrion?) but also of his former marriage (during a drinking game that also included a rather funny Bronn). As his tale goes, his was sixteen-years-old when he and Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) went out riding one day. Suddenly, a girl appears to them, half-naked and disheveled, fleeing from two wannabe rapists. Jaime hunts down the attackers while Tyrion takes her to a nearby inn where they feed on three whole chickens and drink wine. They fall madly in love and she beds him. The next morning, he asks her to marry him. They do but word gets back to Tywin. He’s livid because as it turns out the rape victim wasn’t a victim at all. She was a prostitute paid by Jaime to make Tyrion to feel like a hero, and to feel like a man. (A misguided gesture on Jaime’s part but it does show that he cares for his younger brother.) After Jaime’s confession, Tywin takes Tyrion to a tent and forces him to watch as Lannister soldiers each take turns to pay silver coins and have a go with his new bride. (Tywin really earns his “SHITTIEST FATHER OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS” award with that story.)

The story endears Shae to Tyrion and she jumps his bones, prompting Bronn to politely excuse himself out of the tent (well played, Bronn). The next morning, Bronn rouses Tyrion awake and they both head to battle. While trying to give an inspirational speech to his hill people warrior brigade, Tyrion is accidentally knocked out by an overzealous soldier’s war hammer. When he comes to, his men have won the battle and he has a war wound (that comes as a surprise to Tywin). But, the victory is hollow. Robb Stark had only sent 2,000 men to battle Tywin’s forces. His other 18,000 went looking for Jaime Lannister.

“If we do it your way, Kingslayer, you’d win. We won’t do it your way.”

Robb, on the other hand, has no conflict over whether or not he chooses family or his honor. To him, as well as his mother (Michelle Fairley), they are one in the same. To save Ned, Sansa, and Arya from the clutches of The Lannisters would be restoring their honor. They have no qualms with making deals with the old and perverted Lord Frey (David Bradley) that involve Robb and Arya marrying two of his many ugly children as long as Stark forces are able to have access to his river crossing (that’s called “taking one for the team”). And even though 2,000 men went to their certain deaths at the hands of Lannister swords, Jaime’s capture is just the right, big picture-style thinking Robb needs in order to lead seasoned soldiers into the battlefield. He even turns down Jaime’s offer to a one-on-one duel, which just proves that Robb is a genius.

“I am Eddar Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand of The King. I come before you to confess my treason….”

Robb battle prowess might have been in vain though. The episode ends with the most tragic and shocking of scenes Game of Thrones has ever given us. Ned is dead and Sansa is still trapped in Cersei and Joffrey’s head games. The only comfort anyone can take is that final shot of Arya in Yoren’s arms. She is safe for now as a result of Ned’s sacrifice. As it turns out, his sense of duty for his family is a legacy that will far outweigh the legacy of his sense of honor. Songs may indeed be sung of this because, frankly, how long before that bloodthirsty mob turns on that :censored: Joffrey? How long before Arya gathers the strength needed to show him and the other Lannisters how truly loyal she is to her own family and stabs him in the gut?
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:54 pm

http://www.buzzfocus.com/2011/06/13/game-of-thrones-episode-1-9-review-baelor/
Forgot to credit
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Kharhaz wrote:I thought it was a toilet thread !

Lee J would have been in this thread like a rat up a drain-pipe if it was about the proverbial poo throne.  :D
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:17 pm

neil wrote:Wow, they just chopped sean beans head off  :(  I wasnt expecting that. Fabulous telly, I cant wait for Mondays now. The cast/acting is second to none. Brilliant.

do you have to spoil it for me!!!! :angry:  :angry:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:21 pm

metalhead wrote:
neil wrote:Wow, they just chopped sean beans head off  :(  I wasnt expecting that. Fabulous telly, I cant wait for Mondays now. The cast/acting is second to none. Brilliant.

do you have to spoil it for me!!!! :angry:  :angry:

:(  sorry
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:23 pm

I haven't watched episode 9 yet, waiting for 10 and 11 to come out so I can watch the 3 together.

so Ned Stark dies.... *sigh* :(
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:32 pm

I'm gonna skip reading this thread until I can watch last night's episode.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby neil » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:39 pm

cant highlight spoiler alert, mods??
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:51 pm

neil wrote:cant highlight spoiler alert, mods??

Noted in the thread subtitle (not that it helps me any!  :veryangry:D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:04 am

Holy hell.  Just finally got a chance to sit and watch.  Well I use the term "sit" loosely.  Towards the end of the episode I was standing no further than two feet away from the TV wishing I could reach through and bltchslap that little facker joffrey.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 am

The missus has come home with "A Game of Thrones" and "A Clash of Kings" the first two books of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" saga. There are apparently 3 other books in the series and 2 more being written.

Depending on the TV success of the first book we could be in for a very long running series. :)

more about A Song of Ice and Fire from wiki

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:26 am

The Good Yank wrote:Towards the end of the episode I was standing no further than two feet away from the TV wishing I could reach through and bltchslap that little facker joffrey.

reminds me of Cristiano Ronaldo :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum