Book recommendations - A list of 'must read' books

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Anything by Richard Dawkins, Steven Hawkings, Brian Cox or Carl Sagan is well worth the read. The god delusion is very good, but its not an easy read. He uses a lot of silly words rather than just allowing his opinions (which are quality) to flow natural in an easy to read manor.

Also of Mice and Men. Quality! :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:49 pm

andy_g » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 am wrote:
metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:11 pm wrote:Reading Sagan's ''Cosmos'' at the moment, he makes it so simple.

Anyone read ''the selfish gene'' or ''The God Dellusion'' by Dawkins? if so, any good? worth buying them on kindle? I read his ''The Greatest Show on Earth'' which I thought was entertaining, interesting and very heavy on the mind.

if you are interested in evolution and evolution theory then read both of them. also hoover up stuff by stephen jay gould, especially his collections of essays.

Also if you have time search 'Christopher Hitchens' on Youtube, some of his debates are entertaining, thought provoking and genius all at the same time. Richard Dawkins seminars are also good.

Talking of Dawkins, I saw this on his twitter feed this morning that made me laugh.

SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:56 pm

andy_g » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 am wrote:
metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:11 pm wrote:Reading Sagan's ''Cosmos'' at the moment, he makes it so simple.

Anyone read ''the selfish gene'' or ''The God Dellusion'' by Dawkins? if so, any good? worth buying them on kindle? I read his ''The Greatest Show on Earth'' which I thought was entertaining, interesting and very heavy on the mind.

if you are interested in evolution and evolution theory then read both of them. also hoover up stuff by stephen jay gould, especially his collections of essays.

Very interested, would like to know more about it, I'll search for stephen jay gould too.

SCS, watched a lot of Christopher Hitchens on youtube, he is a genius and takes the p!ss out of his opponents sometimes. He came and did a lecture in Beirut in 08 or 09 I think, one day he was in Beirut streets and saw a poster of a pro syrian party (a pro facist one too) he took it off and shredded it, 3 minutes later the party supporters saw what he did and beat the ***** out of him :D . Saw that tweet from Dawkins too, quality :D

Stu, Steven Hawkings is boring, he repeats himself way too much, opposed to Sagan he makes it simple for the average Joe
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum