Book recommendations - A list of 'must read' books

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby babu » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:25 am

Holy :censored:, I'd forgotten about this thread.

I don't have the time I used to have to read. Only book I can reccomend recently for expectant parents is this one:

Don't laugh, expectant fathers need to read this too. Some really really useful stuff, especially how to deal with your psychotic wife in the 1st trimester.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 am

Authors name is Heidi Murkoff

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: , don't know why, it just cracks me up, she's surely a character from a Woody Allen movie ? :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:55 am

Anything from John Connolly....a deeply dark and disturbed collection from the darker side of the mind....

And another one I just read : "An Interpretation of Murder". Can't remember the author's name but it was a crackin' book.....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:18 pm

Could be good, anyone read it?

Lehman Dies, Manchester United Survives; Thoughts on Why:

Aug. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Imagine a company that sells its star performers to the competition, rehires them within months, appoints managers on a whim and prices its product too cheaply.

Now explain why more soccer clubs don’t go bankrupt.

These and other puzzles are researched and rationalized in “Why England Lose,” a brainteaser of a book for any beach- bound soccer fan seeking more than another ghostwritten autobiography.

“In most industries a bad business goes bankrupt, but football clubs almost never do,” write Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski. “Despite being incompetently run, they are some of the most stable businesses on earth.”

“Why England Lose” has a broader appeal than the title’s British subject and grammar suggest. Kuper is a sports columnist for the Financial Times; Szymanski teaches at Cass Business School in London. Together, they have created a blend of “Freakonomics” and “Fever Pitch,” bringing surprising economic analysis to bear on the world’s most popular sport.

Consider the 88 clubs that formed the English Football League in 1923. In the 2007-2008 season -- some 85 years later - - 97 percent of those clubs still existed, and a majority remained in the same division, according to one study cited in the book.

Now look at what happened over a similar eight-decade time span to the 100 biggest companies worldwide in 1912. By 1995, almost half of them had ceased to exist, while many of those that survived had moved into new sectors or locations, according to a separate piece of research that the authors draw on.

The staying power of English soccer clubs is startling, given the strategic choices they make. Teams long failed, for example, to maximize the money-making potential of selling TV broadcast rights. Then, when the new Premier League sold them to Rupert Murdoch in 1992, it settled for about 60 million pounds a season (some $100 million at current rates). The league now gets about 10 times more per season, the authors say.

Another oddity: Managers are often hired because they can start work immediately. Why the sudden availability? It’s frequently because they’ve just been sacked, we learn.

So how do Manchester United and its like avoid the fate of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.? Answer: Soccer clubs aren’t subject to the same competitive forces that buffet most businesses, Kuper and Szymanski argue.

Yes, the teams exist to compete -- on the field. Yet they enjoy a brand loyalty and geographical appeal that most companies don’t. Their technology never becomes obsolete, foreign rivals can’t enter their markets, and debt burdens are typically absorbed by new owners. And even after a financial meltdown, as when debt-laden Leeds United dropped two divisions in a few years and lost its best players, clubs keep on going.

Sacking Skilled Workers

“Suppose that Ford could sack skilled workers and hire unskilled ones to produce worse cars; or that British Airways could replace all their pilots with people who weren’t as well qualified to fly planes,” the authors write.

Nor do clubs have much to fear from the global financial mess, they say: “Football clubs, unlike most businesses, survive crises because some of their customers stick with them no matter how lousy the product.”

This mix of economic analysis and anecdote makes for a thought-provoking, often amusing read. Here, at last, is a British answer to Michael Lewis’s baseball-meets-cash bestseller “Moneyball.”

Arsenal Fan Osama

From Osama bin Laden supporting Arsenal to the use of game theory in scoring penalty shots, the book offers a blend of stories and statistics sure to supply soccer bores with tales to tell at half time. Data crunching turns up other curiosities, showing why Norway loves soccer more than any other country and how talent scouts sometimes recommend blond players simply because they’re the ones that catch the eye.

As for the title? England doesn’t lose World Cups because, as pundits often allege, top U.K. clubs employ too many foreign players. The real reasons for the national team’s defeat range from a failure to encourage middle-class kids to play at the top level to having players who exhaust themselves before the full 90 minutes have elapsed.

This fusion of soccer and economics -- or “soccernomics,” as the book’s U.S. title puts it -- is timely given the influx of petrodollars into the game in the U.K. and Cristiano Ronaldo’s recent sale to Real Madrid for 80 million pounds ($135.5 million), a world record for a transfer.

For those signing the checks, a final piece of advice from Kuper and Szymanski: When trying to decide how well a player performs, look at his current salary, not at the size of the fat transfer fee his team is demanding.

“Why England Lose: And Other Curious Football Phenomena Explained” is from HarperSport in the U.K. and will be published in the U.S. by Nation Books under the title “Soccernomics” in October (352 pages, 15.99 pounds, $14.95).

(Simon Kennedy writes for Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.)
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:34 am

Just took a leisurely stroll through this topic from beginning to end. Kazza mentioning Secrets of Crickley Hall, I read that one, enjoyed it immensely. Scottbot talking about Stephen Kings The Dark Tower series, I started reading on monday and im halfway through The Wastelands (3rd) edition. Ive also bought George Orwells 1984. I had the money so decided to buy the book ive wanted for a long time now. And there the dilemma exists, do I take a break after The Wastelands and read 1984 or continue with that journey?

In the end though, looking at what Babu has opened here. The book I recommend for people who like fiction, Orcs by Stan Nicholls is an excellent read, as is Ghost Train by Stephen Laws. Non - Fiction, You Are Here: An Updated Dossier by Bremner, Bird and Fortune is a real eye opener. Its a book thats funny in the haha sense and funny in the 'non' haha sense.

Next book im going to get is Animal Farm by George Orwell. I loved the cartoon as it was dark and sinister, I look forward to reading about.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:05 am

I'm also a big fan of Richard North PAtterson. Have read pretty much all his books, the last one I read from him was The Exile....very good story. Try also Balance of Power from him....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Effes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:18 pm

Just read this, couldnt put it down:

Very interesting reading about the big druglords of Liverpool and how a fella
decided to bring them down by giving info to Customs and Excise while working for them.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:26 pm

reading ''The Great War for Civilization'' by Robert Fisk.

Excellent book

:)
Last edited by metalhead on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:27 pm

sounds heavy dude, im re-reading the K-Pax trilogy

(and just found out there is now a K-Pax IV)
Last edited by dawson99 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Anyone bought this yet?

Secret Diary of a Liverpool Scout

Product Description
HANSEN, Rush, Souness, Keegan, Clemence, McDermott, Neal, Kennedy, Heighway, Nicol - the list of great Liverpool players scouted by Geoff Twentyman goes on and on. Now, for the first time, the family of the club's former Chief Scout between 1967 and 1986 has unearthed the diary that exposes the fascinating secrets behind the signings that helped the Reds dominate football at home and abroad in the 1970s and 1980s as well as revealing some of the famous names that Liverpool never signed. Secret Diary of a Liverpool Scout tells Twentyman's remarkable story and gets the players' modern day take on how British footballing history could have been very different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:43 am

Reg wrote:Anyone bought this yet?

Secret Diary of a Liverpool Scout

Product Description
HANSEN, Rush, Souness, Keegan, Clemence, McDermott, Neal, Kennedy, Heighway, Nicol - the list of great Liverpool players scouted by Geoff Twentyman goes on and on. Now, for the first time, the family of the club's former Chief Scout between 1967 and 1986 has unearthed the diary that exposes the fascinating secrets behind the signings that helped the Reds dominate football at home and abroad in the 1970s and 1980s as well as revealing some of the famous names that Liverpool never signed. Secret Diary of a Liverpool Scout tells Twentyman's remarkable story and gets the players' modern day take on how British footballing history could have been very different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont keep a diary why would I want one of someone else? HA he kept a diary the big tart !

:D

Only kidding, I read about this on the LFC.TV site from what I read on there it looks like a cracking read.  Opens your mind up as to how the people behind the scenes worked their magic and received next to little credit for the work done. I look forward to reading this one.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:55 am

I am currently midway through George Orwells 1984. Makes for dark reading this one.

What got me started on this one was his other novel Animal Farm. What a fantastic read that was. And the ending was brilliant. Possibly one of the best endings to a story I have read.

Which brings me to Stephen Kings The Dark Tower. I had to go on amazon to get the last book as book stores here had this one down as "discontinued". So I wait for it to be delivered, I read it. And can say, with all honesty, what a let down. That has to be the worst ending to a series bar none. Have you ever read a great story only to be ended with "then I woke up". This is the Dark Tower series. The ending is possibly the lamest I have ever read. The first 3 books had you gripped, the rest had you engrossed to see how the journey ends. When you reach the end you cannot help but feel cheated. If anyone is reading this series and havent quite reached the end, then do yourself a favour and stop now. Awful, awful ending.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Started reading a lovely book called Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's great so far and it tackles the question of why Europeans colonized Africa, South America and the aboriginal people of Australia and not the other way around.

Must read for anyone who is interested in 13000 years of Human history and evolution
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 pm

If you like that MH, you should check out 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee'.
tonyeh

Postby ethanr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:11 am

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet was absolutely fantastic.  I've read a good deal of books, and this has by far been my favorite.  There's a sequel to it as well called World Without End, that was quite good as well, but honestly if you enjoy reading you will regret never reading this one.  Search it up, read what it's about, and you'll be hooked.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum