Book recommendations - A list of 'must read' books

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby babu » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 am

babu » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:52 am wrote:Another book i reccomend.

This one is fairly easy to read, but not exactly light reading (Sorry Red Baron :D  )

It is tough to get into and has a lot of discussion about religious beliefs, but the pay-off at the end of the book is fairly mind blowing. When i finished it i was haunted for days.

The Life of Pi

I reccomend anyone read this, only if you are prepared to put some effort in.

The movie of this book has just been released. anyone seen it yet? I am too scared.

The book scared the sheet out of me.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Kharhaz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:34 pm wrote:The book I recommend for people who like fiction, Orcs by Stan Nicholls is an excellent read.

I read this one mate, albiet awhile ago, good read. Any more books from him?

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:25 pm

tonyeh » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:07 pm wrote:If you like that MH, you should check out 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee'.

Saw that book, might have a look
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:27 pm

ethanr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 am wrote:Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet was absolutely fantastic.  I've read a good deal of books, and this has by far been my favorite.  There's a sequel to it as well called World Without End, that was quite good as well, but honestly if you enjoy reading you will regret never reading this one.  Search it up, read what it's about, and you'll be hooked.

Not into fiction right now Ethan :D , tried reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King got bored a bit and went into non fiction.

I don't know, it might be a phase  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Great book, The Life of Pi, babu. Still not quite sure what it was all about. The films supposed to be great.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:26 am

I've just finished reading The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell ,I am usually loathe to read the books my wife reads,but she virtually
begged me to pick up this wonderful book . I'm so glad I finally did ,because this novel was so beautifully written it made for compulsive reading .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:46 am

Best read for a long time: 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts

900 pages - most of you will whip thorugh it in a few days don't worry, its not the kind of book you start then put down.

Google it, buy it.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 am

Just finished reading 'Eisenhower: The White House Years' by Jim Newton. Great insight into a deep thinking, strategically minded man who didn't allow himself to get swept away by his advisors on a number of occasions when (unbelievable though it seems today) they were advocating nuclear war. Folks should read this not just to learn about a special man but also to better appreciate how previous generations approached problems.

Another book worth a read:  'Brothers, Rivals, Victors: Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley and the Partnership that Drove the Allied Conquest in Europe' by Jonathan W. Jordan
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Reg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:09 am wrote:Just finished reading 'Eisenhower: The White House Years' by Jim Newton. Great insight into a deep thinking, strategically minded man who didn't allow himself to get swept away by his advisors on a number of occasions when (unbelievable though it seems today) they were advocating nuclear war. Folks should read this not just to learn about a special man but also to better appreciate how previous generations approached problems.

Another book worth a read:  'Brothers, Rivals, Victors: Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley and the Partnership that Drove the Allied Conquest in Europe' by Jonathan W. Jordan

Did you read The Audacity of Hope by Obama? I haven't read it yet, though it doesn't go on his presidential years (written before he became president) but the synopsis explains his philosophy
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:19 pm

1356 by Bernard Cornwell, its a follow on from the grail quest books, the battles of Agincourt and Crecy are well known but this is about the battle of Poitiers and it was an even bigger victory. He's good at bringing battles to life in his books.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:33 pm

The Cuckoo's Egg is a good read

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Am reading Das Kapital at the moment....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Reading Sagan's ''Cosmos'' at the moment, he makes it so simple.

Anyone read ''the selfish gene'' or ''The God Dellusion'' by Dawkins? if so, any good? worth buying them on kindle? I read his ''The Greatest Show on Earth'' which I thought was entertaining, interesting and very heavy on the mind.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Anything by Richard North Patterson. One of my favourite authors...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby andy_g » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:29 am

metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:11 pm wrote:Reading Sagan's ''Cosmos'' at the moment, he makes it so simple.

Anyone read ''the selfish gene'' or ''The God Dellusion'' by Dawkins? if so, any good? worth buying them on kindle? I read his ''The Greatest Show on Earth'' which I thought was entertaining, interesting and very heavy on the mind.

if you are interested in evolution and evolution theory then read both of them. also hoover up stuff by stephen jay gould, especially his collections of essays.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum