Book recommendations - A list of 'must read' books

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:38 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:Also, I have been reading the NEW Tolkien book. Be warned, if you expect the ease of LOTR, you will not find it in The Children Of Hurin. You have to remember that Tolkien was an English professor at Oxford and therefore liked to experiment with prose and language. This is much more like one of the olde oral folk tales that the Norse used to tell hundreds of years ago, such as Beowolf. It is a good read, but it would perhaps be better suited to being read aloud to a young child with a good IQ.

I'll probably give it a go in the near future Ace as i've always been a Tolkien nut. How does it compare to the Silmirillion which is also quite a heavy (but very good) book?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:10 am

Scottbot wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:Also, I have been reading the NEW Tolkien book. Be warned, if you expect the ease of LOTR, you will not find it in The Children Of Hurin. You have to remember that Tolkien was an English professor at Oxford and therefore liked to experiment with prose and language. This is much more like one of the olde oral folk tales that the Norse used to tell hundreds of years ago, such as Beowolf. It is a good read, but it would perhaps be better suited to being read aloud to a young child with a good IQ.

I'll probably give it a go in the near future Ace as i've always been a Tolkien nut. How does it compare to the Silmirillion which is also quite a heavy (but very good) book?

Silmirillion is of course fantastic and Morgoth is in this "new" work too along with some other recognisable names. But Sil. is a better book, both in terms of its dynamics and its narative. But if you are a fan of Tolkien, you'll like this. The Children Of Hurin is a nice way to complete the story of the first age of Middle Earth and if you can get past the style of prose (certainly tougher than Sil. imho) it's worth it.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:59 am

Alright, been reading half threw the book The short history of nearly everything. I was bloody amazed with the introduction about the atoms and how the universe is created because im very interested in those type of things. However, i found the earth's geological features and how they are formed a bit boring though, maybe because it didn't catch my attention. I'm still reading through the evolution of man, it looks interesting there.

I have read some of Hegel's excerpts, his philosophy is hard to understand, but interesting.

Anyone read Edward Said's book called Orientalism?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:30 am

metalhead wrote:Anyone read Edward Said's book called Orientalism?

No, sounded interesting so I googled it . Looks like a heavy read. One perhaps for scholars rather than a day at the beach or the bus into work ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:53 am

woof woof ! wrote:
metalhead wrote:Anyone read Edward Said's book called Orientalism?

No, sounded interesting so I googled it . Looks like a heavy read. One perhaps for scholars rather than a day at the beach or the bus into work ?

Yeh i would agree with you about that. Although, orientalism is an interesting concept and Said does go in depth to that. I have read part of the book, not all, his main point is to prove that orientalism is cause of all the conflicts that happened since the 18th century till now.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue May 27, 2008 9:02 pm

1/3 of the way through this one:

Excellent read so far. As not to ruin it for others a brief description.

"Nicholas Bryson was a deep cover operative for the secret American intelligence group called the Directorate. After a mission goes wrong, he's retired to a new identity as a college professor in Pennsylvania. Now, years later, he discovers that the Directorate was using him against his own country's interest. The Deputy Director of the CIA now wants to enlist Bryson to help track down the Directorate--which seems to be moving towards an end game of some sort--and stop them for good. But it's been years since Bryson has been in the field, his skills are rusty, his contacts unreliable, and he doesn't know who, if anyone, can be trusted. Along with all of this is his wife--the woman who disappeared by her own design just before the fatal mission that ended Bryson's first career--and the truth behind their relationship that he's determined to finally learn."

From what ive read so far a very gripping read. Recommend it to anyone.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 pm

Excellent read.
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:56 pm

Angels and demons, by dan brown.
66-1112520797

Postby Kharhaz » Tue May 27, 2008 10:56 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Image

Excellent read.

Like feeding garlic to a vampire !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 27, 2008 10:57 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Image

Excellent read.

Funny.

I think we had a little chat about computers a while ago, in which you asked me about the inner side of computer science.

Well, you've read a quantum mechanics book, but actually, this guy is the father of all computers. The first and simplest conceptual machine you learn in a computer science career is Von Neuman's simple machine. Basically, he made the maths of computers, and this is very important, because that way, you can now which problems will be solved with future computers and which won't.

It's as if current computers are not any better than his "math" machine, current computers just make it a lot faster. If a math problem cannot be solved with the Von Neuman's machine, it can't be solved with current ones. It's a branch of computer science, and you might want to read him should you want to learn further about computer related maths and limitations.

I think it won't be too tough to understand, and it's actually comforting, because you'll realise that unless a new mathematician changes everything upside down, you won't see Terminator-like robots taking control of the planet. :)
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 27, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 28, 2008 4:54 pm

Sabre von Neumann  :D
LFC2007

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 28, 2008 6:09 pm

Senor Sabre E. Neuman

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:32 pm

:D
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Wed May 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Just because guys like me do not panic when the computer freezes, you think I don't drink beers and like girls eh?

Well, you can think that if you like. Bah :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:08 pm

The Bible
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum