Bobby robson dies aged 76

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Dundalk » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 am

Did anyone not like him?

A true gent and a man him seemed to know his football inside out, sad to see him go

RIP Bobby :(
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:56 am

R.I.P Sir Bob, rest in peace fella.

Sad day for English football.

:(
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am

Was about to say the same thing. I think he achieved the likeability factor more than most, genuinely sad to see another legend pass in my lifetime.

Still think it is a disgrace the way Newcastle treated him as well.
Homebooby

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:05 pm

Sad news this.  A lovely man by all accounts and a quality manager.  My how the Barcodes have fallen since he was sacked.  RIP Sir Bobby.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Seress » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:16 pm

A true gent,and a legend of the game.R.I.P Bobby.
Seress

Postby Dundalk » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:18 pm

If only a few more of today's Premiership managers could act a little like him

Phil Brown and the likes I'm looking at you
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Fantastic football man.  In the current era managers are preoccupied with the media and playing mind games.  However, they should learn from Bobby Robson who was straight talking and always got on with the job in a genuine manner.  He was offered the Arsenal managers job before Wenger and Newcastle's demise can be traced back to when Freddie Shepherd sacked him.

However, I recall after Euro '88 when Ireland and Holland beat England that the english press absolutely tore him to shreds.  Hypocritically, I imagine those same newspapers will be calling him a legend in tomorrows publications.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Think its fair to say that he is one of the most popular footballing men of this generation.
Did great things with Ipswich and almost with England in 86 as well as managing some top european sides.
Loved by all sets of fans for his enthusiasm, honesty and even the stories of his forgetfulness made us laugh.

Seemed like a fantastic loveable guy and i would have loved to have met him.

R.I.P sir Bobby
Last edited by Ben Patrick on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:13 pm

Sean wrote:Fantastic football man.  In the current era managers are preoccupied with the media and playing mind games.  However, they should learn from Bobby Robson who was straight talking and always got on with the job in a genuine manner.  He was offered the Arsenal managers job before Wenger and Newcastle's demise can be traced back to when Freddie Shepherd sacked him.

However, I recall after Euro '88 when Ireland and Holland beat England that the english press absolutely tore him to shreds.  Hypocritically, I imagine those same newspapers will be calling him a legend in tomorrows publications.

Took absolutely dogs abuse as England manager mate, and in actual fact was bang unlucky not to win the World Cup in 1990. How the feck we didn't beat the Jeermans in that semi final feck only knows, and though my memory and marbles generally fail me, I think he was unlucky somewhere else as well (I just can't remember it  :laugh: ).

At the barcodes, he used to get them into the top six at a canter and they said that wasn't good enough so they got rid. He never ever slagged them off though, had way too much dignity for that.

He was a World renowned manager too, worked and won leagues in Holland and Spain as well as probably somewhere else no doubt (Portugal maybe). Blokes like him are rare in life never mind football, and I hope he went comfortably.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:15 pm

bigmick wrote:
Sean wrote:Fantastic football man.  In the current era managers are preoccupied with the media and playing mind games.  However, they should learn from Bobby Robson who was straight talking and always got on with the job in a genuine manner.  He was offered the Arsenal managers job before Wenger and Newcastle's demise can be traced back to when Freddie Shepherd sacked him.

Took absolutely dogs abuse as England manager mate, and in actual fact was bang unlucky not to win the World Cup in 1990. How the feck we didn't beat the Jeermans in that semi final feck only knows, and though my memory and marbles generally fail me, I think he was unlucky somewhere else as well (I just can't remember it  :laugh: ).

At the barcodes, he used to get them into the top six at a canter and they said that wasn't good enough so they got rid. He never ever slagged them off though, had way too much dignity for that.

He was a World renowned manager too, worked and won leagues in Holland and Spain as well as probably somewhere else no doubt (Portugal maybe). Blokes like him are rare in life never mind football, and I hope he went comfortably.

great sentiment Mick, totally agree

Bobby  :bowdown

I hope the big guy upstairs takes care of you
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby redbeergoggles » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:32 pm

R.I.P Sir Bobby a lovely man ,who brought home the true meaning of football to millions ....
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:49 pm

R.I.P. Sir Bobby. I rarely bother much with these type of threads , but Sir Bobby was a very special man, a football man through and through and a gentleman.

I went to the FA cup final when his Ipswich Town side beat Arsenal and became an Ipswich fan for the day.

I think you may be thinking of England v Argentina Mick, when the "hand of god " otherwise known as that cheating tw@t Maradona cost us the game?
account deleted by request

Postby Judge » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:51 pm

i know im going off topic, but bav put his thread up first then got his deleted :D

hurrah for redman in wales - the sheep have it :D

==================

RIP Sir Bobby :(
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:55 pm

john craig wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Tit there was already a thread open.

Put your dummy back in Bav.

RIP Bobby, I guess this had been on the cards for a while though.

Alright no need to keep bringing it up :censored:.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:55 pm

Judge wrote:i know im going off topic, but bav put his thread up first then got his deleted :D

hurrah for redman in wales - the sheep have it :D

==================

RIP Sir Bobby :(

:censored: you too.  :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum