All blacks 48 - 18 lions - All blacks comfortably win series.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:09 am

Again, the All Blacks were simply too good for the Lions, with an outstanding performace by Dan Carter with 33 points!!!

Much better performance from the Lions however, really good physical battle in the forwards, but again we showed that we have a little too much class for a gutsy Lions team.

Also good performances by Tana, McCaw, in fact the whole lot of them played well led by Dan Carter who must be the best fly-half in world rugby at the moment.

Well Done All Blacks.  :buttrock

LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:21 am

another embarressing defeat for the british lions. but its not a real sport so i'll survive the disgraceful attempt at play by henson and co
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:36 am

Henson was rubbish, I thoght it was a mistake leaving him out of the first test and sure enough he played tonight and was poor, perhaps Woodward was right initially. ???
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:44 am

henson was to blame for too much, no cover, seemed more worried about his hair than the ball in front of him
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:06 am

Woodward story off bbc.

I was bitterly disappointed last weekend but the guys fronted up today and I am hugely proud of every one of them," said the Lions coach.

"We were on the wrong end of the scoreline against an outstanding team.

"They scored some great tries at the end and we struggled to defend but I felt that we deserved a little more than we got."

Woodward said he was not going to respond to media criticism.

"I don't intend to defend myself," he said. "We are what we are. I was put in charge and made the decisions and I just want to pat everyone on the back.

"We copped flak all week but I wouldn't change anything we have done. We have just got to accept it and be positive.

"We have got a big game in Auckland next Saturday and I intend to enjoy my last week in New Zealand."
Last edited by LFC #1 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:19 am

well we were told before this tour that this was "the best prepared lions tour in history".

what a complete joke. this tour is now in danger of becoming a complete embarassment. :angry:

i blame the management. we took too many players to start with and didn't play enough warm up games. how on earth were we supposed to get any form of continuity or understanding in the test side when the players who went out had never played together before?

ok take nothing away from what is an outstanding all blacks side. they are just far fitter, more skillful, and alround better athletes than us. daniel carter gave one of the best displays at number 10 i've seen in years. :bowdown

the scoreline was a little unfair and could have been a lot closer, but the lions would never have had a serious chance anyway with the lousy officiating. the referee was poor to say the least. he gave the lions nothing. also, what collins the NZ prop had to do to get sin binned i'll never know. he just constantly killed the ball all game and got away with it. :veryangry

oh well. there's always 2017  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:39 am

well done the all blacks they were superb. Carter was immense.

Peking too early again eh LFC1
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:11 am

I hope not taff, if we can keep that sort of form going we should have no problem winning the tri nations and retaining the Bledisloe.

Austrlalia were unconvincing last night against France, only winning 37-31, so the All Blacks must be the favourites going into the Tri-nations.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:13 am

.. wll that was a thrashing or what.. are ya happy Scott :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:54 pm

zarababe wrote:.. wll that was a thrashing or what.. are ya happy Scott :D

nah I'm gutted we didn't win by more.   :p
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:54 pm

article form New Zealand Herald.

Carter in a class of his own

By Gregor Paul 

The Lions went from abject to mediocre in the space of seven days. Daniel Carter went from world class to out of this world.

It was a better effort from the Lions. Maybe they were even quite good. But, and here's what will stick in Clive Woodward's craw this morning, quite good isn't enough against the All Blacks.

It's nowhere near good enough to take on a side that looks ready to move rugby to a new level. The All Blacks managed to rip apart the "best prepared Lions side in history" without ever reproducing the set-piece excellence of last Saturday. A little uncertainty crept into their lineout. The scrum was solid without ever unleashing panic in the visitors' ranks. The loss of Carl Hayman was an obvious factor in both set pieces.

It was probably inevitable that the dominance of last week was not going to be repeated. The Lions had to be more competitive in both areas.

But the All Blacks were always in control because they produced excellence in patches. Richie McCaw kept the supply of possession plentiful, Byron Kelleher kept whipping bullets away and Daniel Carter and Tana Umaga always had enough flair, vision and running power to score when the chances came.

Carter, in particular, ran with the confidence and agility of a man who knows that he is rugby's new king. When Jonny Wilkinson left the field in the second half, he did so with a nod to Carter, as if to acknowledge the New Zealander's ascension to the Englishman's vacant throne.

Carter's second try, which put the game out of reach of the Lions, was quite marvellous to watch. He ran so well, most in the stadium were sure it was in fact Rico Gear who had blasted past Williams, chipped over Josh Lewsey and then dived on the loose ball.

It was heartbreaking stuff for the Lions. They put their heart and soul into this contest and scrapped manfully for the ball. But when all you have is graft, you can't compete.

Their inadequacies, so glaring from the opening tour game in Rotorua, made last night an exercise in damage limitation. They must have watched the ball zip from one black jersey to the next with a sense of awe.

Their challenge is to go back to Blighty and rip up the manual they have been working on.

For the good of world rugby these guys have to move on. Get to grips with explosive rugby that requires pace, vision and skill.

If there was a defining image from last night, a single act that epitomised the gulf in class, it was Richie McCaw's obliteration of Shane Williams early in the second half.

Williams has been the pick of the Lions backs all tour. To see him so categorically destroyed sunk every red heart in the stadium.

And they had a long way to sink as they were all uplifted by a rousing start that gave them more to cheer about in two minutes than they got in 80 last week.

As dramatic openings go, it was up there with the All Blacks' semifinal clash with England at the 1995 World Cup. The Lions, presumably having invested no passion in the first test, came out with two large helpings of the stuff.

With their dander up they were able to pass themselves off as a decent side. They were even able to pass and catch, which was effectively all skipper Gareth Thomas needed to do when he found himself first receiver outside the All Black 22.

He looked up, saw that the Marie Celeste was better manned than the All Black fringe defence and set the cruise control to canter as he made his way under the sticks.

The bother with these modern gadgets is that you need to keep on top of them all the time. Thomas forgot to nudge off his cruise control and a few minutes later was effortlessly robbed by Aaron Mauger. Tana Umaga gathered the loose ball, fed Dan Carter and the first five brushed past Gavin Henson and Jason Robinson, whose attempted tackles would have looked soft in Wednesday's netball test. Henson had an ordinary game. Touted as a saviour, he was more of a savoury.

Umaga gladly took the final off-load to score a try that, while possibly one of his easiest, will sit as one of his most satisfying given the week he had endured.

New Zealand 48
(T. Umaga, S. Sivivatu, D. Carter (2), R. McCaw tries; D. Carter 4 cons, 5 pens.)

Lions 18
(G. Thomas, S. Easterby tries; J. Wilkinson con, 2 pens).
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:30 pm

Of course New Zealand won, the lions are not a team but a bunch of players thrown together, how can they know each others game as well as the all blacks do?

Before the All blacks get too confident, they haven't won the world cup since the very first one (in own country and South Africa not allowed compete) so I wouldn't get carried away.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:31 pm

I can never really understand the whole Lions concept.

As Niall says, they are not a team but a collection of players. There is no way an Irish player, a Scotsman, or Welshman or an Englishman will ever give as much for the Lions shirt as they would for their own country.

Clive Woodward is also largely to blame, picking too many over the hill players from his old England squad, and the All Blacks pulverised the Lions as, among many things, they were younger, fitter, faster and more youthful than the Lions.

Its been a disaster: Shane Byrne has been a terrific hooker for Ireland and Leinster, with some of the most accurate line out throws in the Northern Hemisphere, yet his line throws in the first match was appalling. Byrne is used to throwing under pressure in Six Nations Rugby, so for him to completely cave in against the Blacks meant that something serious was gone wrong.

Its also sad to say but it looks like the end for Jonny Wilkinson. A terrific player, but his new shoulder injury looks like it'll finish him.

Why he was picked and sent to New Zealand, when he was not fully fit, is beyond comprehension.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:51 pm

Anyone who plays the game is well up for the Lions. I can see how people would think that it aint the same as your own country but it is a HUGE honour.

But there were some weird decisions and choices. Sir Clive is a bit oof the wall but he got it wrong this time round.  How wrong I guess we will see come the autumn internationals when we all take the Blacks on for our individual countries.

But hats off to New Zealand and Carter in particular, has to be one of the best performances I have ever seen for an outside half, he had it all. 

Still in All Black tradition they will fall apart come the world cup and some kicking team will win. :sniffle
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum