World cup 2006 - Can england do it?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:24 pm

zarababe wrote:.. Engerland havn't got a chance.. as per usual the hype before will be about us being world beaters... and then we'll flop.. or something similar.. there are stronger international sides who stand a better chance ..

sorry zara i dont agree, this squad aint your usual ray wilkins - kenny samson job, these lads would all be wanted by the worlds best clubs.
gerrard, rooney, lampard, terry, ferdinand, cole, campbell, owen are all genuine world class players in their positions and the likes of beckham, joe cole and gary neville are quality players too.
it would cost the earth to try and assemble this line up in club football.
i think the opposite to you, i think teams like brasil, germany, holland and italy are weaker now than they have been traditionally.
what the germans would give for another gert muller, his record off the top of my head is something like 78 goals in 60 odd internationals or something like that.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:14 am

I honestly think theyve got a good chance and Im Welsh :p

Theyve been together for a long time and have experienced highs and lows and IMO its all gearing for the world cup 2006.  Its a strong squad and they fight for each other and have belief. 

I do however think that there is too much hype with we are the most expensive squad etc and what English players would you realistically put into a world 11. But its good squads with strength of mind and tenacity that win world cups a la Germany 1974.

And for the record good luck to em although I hope we beat you in September  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:21 am

taff wrote:I honestly think theyve got a good chance and Im Welsh :p

And for the record good luck to em although I hope we beat you in September  :D

you wish taff. it was bad enough you beating us at rugby. :p

funny though how just over a year ago, the welsh footy team were flying and the rugby team were sh#te. what a difference twelve months make. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:45 am

The Rugby team have been building for years, all this started about three years ago, we were lucky to have a coach who didnt care about results in the short term and got young players and moulded a team spirit and greatly increased fitness. I was surprised myself with th egrand slam but it has been like a dam waiting to burst.

Which is why I reckon England has a chance, ok like the England rugby team they have been together for a while and have a great spine of class senior players and they have the team spirit, ok the strike thing and Rio etc might not be to everybodys taste but it has solidified the squad.

I dont think Beckhams a great captain as he lacks that mentality but there are a number of players who could fullfill the role and England have a lot of leaders on the pitch.

To me this is their greatest strength not as some people have suggested that they have the best players in the world as I dont think they have, but they started on this road as far as Im concerned when Peter Taylor made Beckham captain and fielded a team of youngsters.

Winning it however will take luck of draw, injuries etc but they have the ability and I honestly think that they now have the mental strength afterthe last two failings.

The only thing I see as a major fault with England is the fans and especially the media insist on winning every game and go completely over the top and this is where I thing Sven has been good with his substitutions and level headed approach.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:51 am

taff wrote:The only thing I see as a major fault with England is the fans and especially the media insist on winning every game and go completely over the top.

that's one thing that worries me taff. i was reading a couple of newspapers yesterday and they were going down the lines of "well poland beat azerbaijan 8-0 so we should get double figures" route. lets be realistic here. that just isn't gonna happen although i still expect us to win comfortably.

this is the best squad of players we have ever had. if sven can't get us to at least the semi finals in germany with the players at his disposal then he should resign. everything is rosy when we're doing well. however, as already proved in the past, when behind in a crucial match, can sven make the necessary changes to get us back into a match? i don't think so. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:20 pm

8-0 well they might but you dont get any more points do you  :D

That is the thing with the media. People are now calling for Beckham to be dropped and not happy that there are a load of other players taking the limelight and dare I say workload and pressure off him. 

Although I do want to see them do well it is funny as a Welshman to see the ridiculous rollercoaster of English football :D

The best thing you can do is to beat them without any big hoo ha and maybe bring on subs for the second half. I reckon 3-0
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:41 am

taff wrote:8-0 well they might but you dont get any more points do you  :D

That is the thing with the media. People are now calling for Beckham to be dropped and not happy that there are a load of other players taking the limelight and dare I say workload and pressure off him. 

Although I do want to see them do well it is funny as a Welshman to see the ridiculous rollercoaster of English football :D

The best thing you can do is to beat them without any big hoo ha and maybe bring on subs for the second half. I reckon 3-0

but hes lost 2 world cups and euro
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:20 am

CRA, weve (england) lost all tournaments since 1966, so whats yer Fu*king point??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:14 pm

VINDALOO  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:56 pm

The team is staring to take shape quiet nicely.

The main 2 worries are Beckham. It is kind of ironic because these two players are the ones that Sven has always been able to rely on.

Beckham played well against Azerbajain, but they are ******. His lack of form and constant injury niggles means that his place should be under threat, but Sven is too conservative to drop him.

Every Liverpool fan knows that Owen needs games to get his form up to scratch, and that will be a worry for Sven. I woulden't bet agianst him moving in the summer or in January.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:46 pm

zarababe wrote:.. Engerland havn't got a chance.. as per usual the hype before will be about us being world beaters... and then we'll flop.. or something similar.. there are stronger international sides who stand a better chance ..

greece didnt either before 2004 euro championships!!  ???
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:33 pm

I think England have a good chance they have the right balance but i wouldn't be surprised if they fall short again unless Sven changes his tactics and if more offensive. My favourite are in no particular order Argentina,Brazil,Czech republic,Holland,Germany,England,Italy, and i think Spain,Portgual and France will fall short depending of if the teams get their. I just hope Senegal can get further than they did in world cup 2002 :)
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:50 am

Portugal have an easy group so will defo qualify. They will probably do quite well at World Cup 2006. they have a great coach in Scolari, have proven themselves at international level in Euro 2004, and have a lot of good young talent coming through.

Agree woth your list if favourites, add Portugal to that, and as usual Spain will fall short of exepctations if they qualify, and France are a spent force.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gerrardisgod » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:40 pm

my favourites to win it would be and there best player

england-becks
brazil-kaka
spain-alonso
france-zidane
the argentines-aimar
italy-totti
gerrardisgod

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:24 pm