The official spain euro 2008 thread - Viva espana

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:54 pm

Sabre wrote:
-With number 10, the guy most "empanado" (i  think is to be out of it) of the world, he doesn't know anything about things. ...Cesc fabregas.

"Empanado" description, it's a word used a lot, not offensive, something you tell someone who is a friend usually.

It means those people who tend to buy any joke you tell them, as in you tell them you've been having a coffee with George Bush and he'll go "Really?". Also used for people who, like me, tend to forget umbrellas and things like that in public places. "Absentminded" could be the closest word I find in the dictionary, but surely you can tell me the word you use for that?

I'd say a word that is reasonably close to your description used in English would perhaps be 'Gullible' or 'Naive'.
Last edited by red37 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:57 pm

If they were English their nickname would be Trigger or Rodney
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:30 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Who was your 2nd best team of the tournament?

Italy for me, second best, and third Holland.

Holland proved to me they know doing some brilliant football when the score is smiling them, which is nice, but didn't prove to me they know suffering. However, all must be said, the level of football we saw in the preliminary stage was top football, and they showed a master class of how to counter attack with 3 passes.

But Italy were more complete to me when the competition really matters -- Italy always start poorly. They knew to understand that in the game against Spain they wouldn't have most of the ball and knew to work hard and doing a spotless defence match, while they approached Casillas not less times than the Germans did. They were much closer to beat Spain than Germany or Russia ever were. Because their football is better.

Italy's game is dismissed as boring and bad for football but their solidarity as a team and how they play without the ball is a  pleasure to watch, in my case.

Winning a competition is indeed a mixture between well done things and luck. A bit of luck is what Spain lacked in the past sometimes, but years later nobody remembers that in football, they remember who won and who lost.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:45 pm

Who was your 2nd best team of the tournament?

Turkey, impressed a lot with there late winners and never say die attitude. Deserved to be in the final ahead of Germany.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:46 pm

Italy's game is dismissed as boring and bad for football but their solidarity as a team and how they play without the ball is a  pleasure to watch, in my case.

Watching Italy was like watching a chess game using pawns as the forefront of an offense !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:04 am

Sabre wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Who was your 2nd best team of the tournament?

Italy for me, second best, and third Holland.

Holland was far better than Italy in the group stage (and they were in the same group), and both went out in the 1/4 final stage after drawing for 90 minutes.  Granted, you can argue that Italy went out against a better team, but I can't say that Italy overall had a better tournament than Holland, especially because Holland defeated the Italians by 3 goals. I really wanted to see Holland play Spain, especially if they had Babel fit.
JoeTerp

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:12 am

Croatia or Russia, not Turkey, altho everyone liked there attitude they were lucky to get past the groups... italy were my least favourite team of the tournament as always
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:29 am

Favourite team had to have been Russia for me.Some great players,a great team attitude and they played some lovely football...I was surprised how well they done!

Least favourite France...need i say any more!! :no
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Germany are a bunch of miserable tw*ts, though...

Let's be honest - any team which has "Ballack the Boring" as Captain must be less interesting than the AGM of the International Dictionary Fanciers' Association of South Wales.

ballack the boring :D

good job we dont have noggin the nog in our team then :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:01 pm

Italy and France should be banned from all further football, on account of being boring :censored:.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:05 pm

To be fair if Pirlo and Gattuso played against Spain, I think they probably would have won.

They had also lost Cannavaro and Nesta pre tournament.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:09 pm

My 2nd best team was based on entertainment and, for me, the Dutch entertained the most after the Spanish.  Russia were fantastic to watch for 2 games but were otherwise uninspired.  Likewise, Croatia and Portugal played some good stuff in some games but were not consistent enough.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Gobbo juventino » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:03 pm

The problem of Italy was the CT Roberto Donadoni for a lot of motives:
1) He didn't call Inzaghi for the Euro 2008
2) In the first match with the Holland he made Materazzi play instead of Chiellini
3) In the mach with the Spain he prefered Perrotta and Di Natale to Camoranesi and Del Piero ( 21 goal in championship)

Fortunately now is come back Marcello Lippi
Gobbo juventino

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Gobbo juventino wrote:The problem of Italy was

the team was so freaking old and negative
JoeTerp

Postby ALONSO_14 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:23 pm

lol Italy were the dullest pile of sh.it ive ever seen

It was a really entertaining tournament overall though, best ive seen for a while, most likely because england weren't involved
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion