African cup of nations

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby sithlord » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:52 am

Been watching the tournament on BBC 3, and I must say i am not impressed with some of the 'new' teams that have qualified for the World Cup.  Angola and Togo have been sh*te...in my opinion the top 3 African teams right now are Cameroon, Senegal and Morocco, none of which are on their way to the World Cup  :(
sithlord

Postby alilo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:46 am

u forgot nigeria  :buttrock
alilo

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:48 pm

etos hatrick for caerron was phonominal
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby sithlord » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:56 pm

alilo wrote:u forgot nigeria  :buttrock

I'd rank Nigeria just below those 3 myself, they aren't the team they were in 94 and 98.
sithlord

Postby stoney » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:16 am

Nigeria are one of the best teams in the continent
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1137139704 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:59 am

I have seen all games so far and The DRC have played the best football so far in their 2-0 win over togo.
Whats even more interesting is that most of the DRC players are home based but they played good entertaining football beating world cup qualifiers togo whose players are mostly based in europe.
66-1137139704

Postby 66-1137139704 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:10 pm

stoney wrote:Nigeria are one of the best teams in the continent

Nigeria is playing Ghana in two hrs time.

Ghana will be without essien but i will be putting some money on Ghana beating Nigeria :;):
66-1137139704

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:59 pm

i backed egypt for the tourney but etoo has looked as immense as ever
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1137139704 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Nigerias win cost me some money  :angry:

On the bright side,senegal played some entertaining football yesturday.

Henry camara was exceptional...we must get this guy!He plays on the right wing too  :;):
66-1137139704

Postby JC_81 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:31 am

The tournament's been decent to watch so far.  Just what you expect from African football, some immense attacking play and some less than average defending.

The free kick the Nigerian scored yesterday was excellent.  Henri Camara put in the performance of the tournament so far yesterday against Zimbabwe, he's a very hot and cold player but looked very good.  The Senegal right back Ferdinand Coly looked a solid player too.

Anyone see Diouf's miss yesterday?  He pretty much cleared his own team-mate's shot off the line, awful.  And when he got subbed his replacement scored with his first touch, always good to see.

Cameroon are probably the strongest side, but with home advantage I think Egypt could go all the way.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1137139704 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:12 pm

john craig wrote:The tournament's been decent to watch so far.  Just what you expect from African football, some immense attacking play and some less than average defending.

The free kick the Nigerian scored yesterday was excellent.  Henri Camara put in the performance of the tournament so far yesterday against Zimbabwe, he's a very hot and cold player but looked very good.  The Senegal right back Ferdinand Coly looked a solid player too.

Anyone see Diouf's miss yesterday?  He pretty much cleared his own team-mate's shot off the line, awful.  And when he got subbed his replacement scored with his first touch, always good to see.

Cameroon are probably the strongest side, but with home advantage I think Egypt could go all the way.

Cameroon did not impress me.They are not as good as they were in 2002.But Etoo is phenimenal.

The best football(entertaining) so far has been played by the DRC and Senegal.

The interesting thing is that there was more crowd in the senegal game than that btn Ghana and Nigeria which was supposed to be the big game of the day.
Rumor has it that Diouf was the star attraction
66-1137139704

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:47 am

MudFace wrote:Cameroon did not impress me.They are not as good as they were in 2002.But Etoo is phenimenal.

Still stand by those statements then Mudface?

If you watched the Cameroon game last night I don't think you could help but be impressed with them.  Eto'o scored a great goal but the team is littered with other good players.  Douala and Makoun in midfield along with Geremi is as strong a midfield as there is in the competition.  At the back they are well organised too, one of the few teams who are in this tournament, and marshalled by none other than former LFC player Rigobert Song.  The guy flopped for us big time but he's always solid for the Cameroon.

Ivory coast are looking strong too though, just hope they don't win it because I can't stand Drogba.

Interesting to see that all the strongest teams there, apart from Ivory Coast, have failed to qualify for the world cup, there will be no Cameroon, no Nigeria, no South Africa etc.  Instead we will have poor teams like Togo and Angola who are already out of contention in the African Nations Cup, and Ghana who looked lost without Essien the other day.  Africa won't be well represented at all at this year's World Cup.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1137139704 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:34 am

john craig wrote:
MudFace wrote:Cameroon did not impress me.They are not as good as they were in 2002.But Etoo is phenimenal.

Still stand by those statements then Mudface?

If you watched the Cameroon game last night I don't think you could help but be impressed with them.  Eto'o scored a great goal but the team is littered with other good players.  Douala and Makoun in midfield along with Geremi is as strong a midfield as there is in the competition.  At the back they are well organised too, one of the few teams who are in this tournament, and marshalled by none other than former LFC player Rigobert Song.  The guy flopped for us big time but he's always solid for the Cameroon.

Ivory coast are looking strong too though, just hope they don't win it because I can't stand Drogba.

Interesting to see that all the strongest teams there, apart from Ivory Coast, have failed to qualify for the world cup, there will be no Cameroon, no Nigeria, no South Africa etc.  Instead we will have poor teams like Togo and Angola who are already out of contention in the African Nations Cup, and Ghana who looked lost without Essien the other day.  Africa won't be well represented at all at this year's World Cup.

Cameroon played some good football against Togo but it wasnt exactly a stroll in the park for them.Togo gave as much as they got and the difference between the two teams was the superb skills of Samuel etoo.
New Arsenal signing Adebayor really troubled the cameroon defence and i think Wenger made a good singing here  :)
66-1137139704

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:51 am

MudFace wrote:New Arsenal signing Adebayor really troubled the cameroon defence and i think Wenger made a good singing here  :)

He had a good game playing in a poor team, but I'm not so sure Wenger has pulled off that great a signing to be honest.

What Arsenal need is a penalty-box striker, someone who'll score the 'dirty' goals for them.  This guy Adebayor has good feet and is a tidy player, but he does a lot of his work in wide positions, drifting out from the centre.  Since Henry also likes to drift, I'm not quite sure if that partnership will work.

I also noticed that for a big lad, Adebayor goes to ground very easily, doesn't seem to have much upper body strength for his size.  That aspect of his game will need working on as the Premiership is a lot more physical than the French League.  For that reason I think it will take until next season before Arsenal see the best of this lad.

Everyone seems to think Arsenal have signed a big rough-and-tumble centre forward here, but he's not like that at all on the evidence of last night.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1137139704 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:02 am

john craig wrote:
MudFace wrote:New Arsenal signing Adebayor really troubled the cameroon defence and i think Wenger made a good singing here  :)

He had a good game playing in a poor team, but I'm not so sure Wenger has pulled off that great a signing to be honest.

What Arsenal need is a penalty-box striker, someone who'll score the 'dirty' goals for them.  This guy Adebayor has good feet and is a tidy player, but he does a lot of his work in wide positions, drifting out from the centre.  Since Henry also likes to drift, I'm not quite sure if that partnership will work.

i dont know how much he got im for but i think he was cheap or free as he already had problems wit the monaco management.And for that reason alone,he is a great signing by Wenger considering the skills he has displayed so far.

As for him drifting wide,i believe its a role he has been asked to play.He can surely play in the center as he has great ball control...plus when henry aint playing,they have someone to do the same things henry does  :)
Its a great signing for arsenal.
66-1137139704

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion