Red this - Mourinho

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu May 27, 2004 2:21 am

i took this of the BBC, I wonder who it can be? ???

Mourinho to quit Porto

Report: Porto 3-0 Monaco
Photos from the final 
Jose Mourinho confirmed he is quitting Porto to move to the Premiership after his side beat Monaco 3-0 to lift the Champions League trophy.
Mourinho is expected to be named as Chelsea's new manager, but he has also been linked with Liverpool.

He said after the 3-0 win: "My desire is to leave and I will go to England.

"One club had a serious conversation with my agent and a small conversation with me. I have given my word to them and I will not change my mind."

Mourinho added: "My agent was involved in a few conversations. I want everything to be done right.

"I will speak to the Porto president and I hope he respects my wish to leave.

"In the next few days it will be clear. There is one club I give my word to and one I would like to go to.

"This will not change even if I get other situations because we have won the Champions League."

I have given my word to a club and I will not change my mind

Jose Mourinho
Greatness beckons:
Jose Mourinho profile 

Mourinho refused to confirm Stamford Bridge was his next stop, but it would appear he is bound for Chelsea with chief executive Peter Kenyon in Gelsenkirchen to watch the final.

Chelsea have yet to announce the fate of their current manager Claudio Ranieri, who met Kenyon and the London club's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich this week.

It seems certain now that the Italian will give way to Mourinho as coach - with Ranieri either leaving altogether or moving into a director of football role.

Kenyon said on Wednesday "the situation should be resolved next week".

Meanwhile Mourinho will leave Porto in the knowledge he made them the first club since Liverpool in 1976 and 1977 to win the Uefa Cup and European Cup in successive years.

Both teams gave the world a superb spectacle

Jose Mourinho
More Porto reaction on the game 

"We made history but I have to keep working and try to get success in my next step," said Mourinho.

"This is the best way to finish my career with Porto. In two-and-a-half years we have won everything.

"The club was sleeping a little bit two-and-a-half years ago, and it has woken up very, very well.

"I am very proud in what we did but the time to leave has arrived."

Asked whether Chelsea's spending power was a key factor in his decision, he said: "I think every club has a motivation.

"When you have money to spend you must spend well. When you don't have money to spend you have to go for the formation. The best way is to do both things.

"When clubs decide to change their manager they believe something is not the way to be so I want to work and enjoy my life as a manager.

"I love football and I love to work. The club, the board and supporters must know I go with all my heart and give everything to improve the club.

"I decided I would like to go when I felt in Portugal there was nothing more to win, the challenge was not big enough for me."
112-1077774096

Postby JBG » Thu May 27, 2004 5:28 pm

Mourinho said today on Portuguese tv that he wants to join Chelsea.

I think he's making a mistake.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Thu May 27, 2004 5:29 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Mourinho said today on Portuguese tv that he wants to join Chelsea.

money talks. that's just the way it is i'm afraid.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 27, 2004 5:34 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Mourinho said today on Portuguese tv that he wants to join Chelsea.

I agree , this time next year he will be thinking "Sh*t ! why didn't I go to Liverpool " (in portugese of course)
For a man who is adamant he wants to make his own decisions I can't understand why he would join a club where the russian mafia tell him who to buy.  :(
Maybe it's the (rumoured) £4 million a year paycheck.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Thu May 27, 2004 5:57 pm

If Mourinho doesnt win the league or the Champions league in his first season then he will have a bit of explaining to do.Its a pity Parry didnt move for him a few weeks earlier.The bloke really looks the part.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu May 27, 2004 7:39 pm

I think the guy has done really well, and he has the pedigree, having worked under Bobvby Robson and Louis Van Gaal. I know from reading stuff on various websites he was captivated in the 70's and 80s by Liverpool, and he has admitted to being an admirer of the club.

The sad thing, as St Michael said is money does talk. What would you do if someone promised to pay you ten times the amount you currently earn.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu May 27, 2004 8:30 pm

Fair enough he might earn £4million a year at Chelsea which is absolutely incredible but if it goes pear shaped there it could set his career back 5 years.

I think he would be far better off at Liverpool: even non-Liverpool fans have been telling me that theyn think Mourinho going to Liverpool would be a better career move for him.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby oldredeyes » Thu May 27, 2004 9:22 pm

I think in his heart and soul he would prefer Liverpool.
But his Bank Manager and all the hangers on who think London is the place to be will tell him otherwise.
Pity...I think the fans on the KOP would have taken to him.
His loss I guess!
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu May 27, 2004 11:08 pm

I think we were just a little too late to steal Mourinho away from Chelsea. Kenyon and Cheslea have spent all season hunting for a new boss behind Ranieri's back and i assume they have been courting Mourinho ever since Sven turned them down. Parry/Moores are far less likely to snoop about, undermining the manager while he is still working for the club. It's not the Liverpool way.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri May 28, 2004 12:53 am

As of this moment Ranieri is still Chelsea manager.What a pathetic club.That Kenyon bloke should be shot.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri May 28, 2004 1:46 am

Ex Manc Kenyon, what do you expect ???  They moan about loyalty and wouldn't know it if they fell over it  ! The treatment of Ranieri is nothing short of disgraceful. Mopurinho is in for a shock when he gest to Chelsea and realises Ambromovich and Kenyon are running the show..........seemms to me that he is a very proud man , i can see him leaving by Christmas !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri May 28, 2004 1:59 am

maybe we are wrong, maybe its us he has agreed to join but hasnt been able to say anything while we had GH, I also feel that Chelsea would have got rid of Ranieri by now.

maybe just wishful thinking
112-1077774096

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri May 28, 2004 3:50 am

Will you guys think there'll be a big possibility of where Chelski to keep Ranieri, and by the time Mourinho turning to us, the door having been closed with Benitez inside (which is not bad for us yet probably a big regret for Mourinho)?
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri May 28, 2004 5:38 am

its possible. but Benitez also says he will stay at valencia
112-1077774096

Postby Stan Laurel » Fri May 28, 2004 9:20 am

It was interesting to read from Teletext about what Bobby Robson about Mourinho, so Bobby warned Chelsea that they could make a big mistake to appoint Jose Mourinho.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion