New fifa ranking system - Where would england be?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby 2520years » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:38 pm

As we all know the FIFA ranking system is pants.  They have now admitted as much and said they'll overhaul it.  (Actually, they've said it's too complicated, but we know they really mean it's pants.)  One change is that it will only account for the last four years, not eight.

England usually hover just inside the top ten.  So do you think this will change?  Are there any other nations you think are certain to go up or down in the new system?  What about USA, Australia, Portugal or Mexico?  How will they fare?

I don't see much change for England as I think consistent quarter-final appearances should mean we're at least in the top ten.  I'm not sure USA or Czech Republic will stay in their lofty position though.
Current Rankings
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Lionheart » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:14 am

Well there is no way the USA will remain inside the top ten. The only way they get there in the first place is by playing matches against the likes of Canada, El Salvador, Nicaragua, etc. every second week. Spain & USA on equal terms?? I think not. JUst shows why the current ranking are 'pants'...(not familiar with that expression down here but assume it means farcical or a joke)

Australia MAY climb into the top 20-25 but don't anticpate they will stay there unless we have a good showing in the Asian Cup. 

The likes of Greece, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Turkey & Cameroon will be on a slippery slope I expect. Portugal, France, Germany & Italy will probably rise on WC performance (as long as they don't include blatent diving in the negative criteria... :D).

Results out next Wednesday I believe.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:53 am

Brasil will still be top as they are a long way out in first in the current system. If France win the World cup they'll definitely go second, and I would say Portugal will be in the top 3 as they have probably been the most consistent team in Europe since 2004 (Euro 2004 finalists, excellent in WC qualifying and semi-finalists of the World Cup).

Germany are currently 19th but will probably come clsoe to the top 10, and Italy will probably be in the top 5.

I think it will look something like this:

1. Brasil     (Currently 1st)
2. France   (Currently 8th)
3. Portugal (Currently 7th)
4. Italy      (Currently 13th)
5. Holland   (Currently 3rd)
6. Czechs   (Currently 2nd)
7. Argentina (Currently 9th)
8. Spain     (Currently 5th)
9. Mexico   (Currently 4th)
10. England (Currently 10th)
Last edited by LFC #1 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:32 am

LFC #1 wrote:Brasil will still be top as they are a long way out in first in the current system. If France win the World cup they'll definitely go second, and I would say Portugal will be in the top 3 as they have probably been the most consistent team in Europe since 2004 (Euro 2004 finalists, excellent in WC qualifying and semi-finalists of the World Cup).

Germany are currently 19th but will probably come clsoe to the top 10, and Italy will probably be in the top 5.

I think it will look something like this:

1. Brasil     (Currently 1st)
2. France   (Currently 8th)
3. Portugal (Currently 7th)
4. Italy      (Currently 13th)
5. Holland   (Currently 3rd)
6. Czechs   (Currently 2nd)
7. Argentina (Currently 9th)
8. Spain     (Currently 5th)
9. Mexico   (Currently 4th)
10. England (Currently 10th)

Portugal 3rd, you're having a laugh.  :laugh:

And Brazil 1st, I doubt it, I can see a team like France or Italy becoming number one.
48-1119859832

Postby babu » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:42 am

hey Oasis why don't you go out on a limb like LFC #1 did and list the probably rankings as you see it. In 2 weeks we will see who's having a laugh.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:54 am

babu wrote:hey Oasis why don't you go out on a limb like LFC #1 did and list the probably rankings as you see it. In 2 weeks we will see who's having a laugh.

Yeah, sure.

1. Cameroon
2. Ivory Coast
3. France
4. Wales
5. Republic of Ireland
6. Nottingham Forest
7. Poland
8. Grenada
9. USA
10. Ukraine

As you can see I'm having the laugh...
48-1119859832

Postby babu » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:04 am

sigh.

:(

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:12 am

Oh you wanted me to be serious?  :D

Ok here it goes, bear in my knowledge on football is c.rap.

1. France
2. Brazil
3. Italy
4. Argentina
5. USA
6. Mexico
7. Germany
8. England
9. Spain
10. Portugal
48-1119859832

Postby babu » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:18 pm

ok thanks. Its no secret that my football knowledge is :censored:, thats why i appreciate posters like LFC#1 and the rest, they make statements based on their knowledge, which i learn from. I just thought that if you felt the need to comment on his possible line up, you should back yours up.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:19 pm

ps USA in 5th spot? Interesting.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:25 pm

babu wrote:ps USA in 5th spot? Interesting.

The North American teams play a hell of alot of games, that's why teams like Mexico and USA are so high up in the rankings, I can't see Mexico and USA falling out of the top ten.
48-1119859832

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:59 pm

0asis wrote:Oh you wanted me to be serious?  :D

Ok here it goes, bear in my knowledge on football is c.rap.

1. France
2. Brazil
3. Italy
4. Argentina
5. USA
6. Mexico
7. Germany
8. England
9. Spain
10. Portugal

explain how england (currently 10th) are gonna rise above portugal (currently 7th) where portugal beat england to reach the semis...............

i think LFC #1 is pretty much spot on
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:02 am

1. Brazil
2. France
3. Portugal
4. Argentina
5. Italy
6. England
7. Germany
8. Spain
9. Czech Republic
10. Ghana ???
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:12 am

Dear oh dear Oasis, I think you have spent too much time focusing on Mexico and not paying attention to any other international football.

Firstly Portugal: As I said in my other post they have probably been THE most consistent team in Europe over the last 2-3 years. They were finalists in Euro 2004, comfortably topped their group in World cup qualifying with an excellent goal difference and were semi-finalists in the World Cup. Let’s compare this to other top European nations shall we?

Italy – first round exit at Euro 2004, good WC qualifying campaign and in the World cup final. If they win on Sunday they will probably go ahead of Portugal, but if they don’t I think they will be around 4th or 5th.

England – Quarter-finalists in Euro 2004 where they lost to PORTUGAL, topped WC qualifying group (but were not convincing) quarter finalists in the world cup were they lost to, you guessed it, Portugal!

Holland – Semi-finalists at Euro 2004, where they lost to Portugal, had to go through a play-off to qualify for Germany and out 2nd round in World Cup, where they lost to Portugal (you must be as sick of reading that as I am of writing it, but it proves my point)

France – Unconvincing quarter final exit at Euro 2004, not spectacular in WC qualifying, but have finally put in some performances to reach the final in Germany.

Germany – first-round exit at Euro 2004, didn’t’ have to qualify for WC but were unconvincing in friendlies,  and went no further than Portugal in the WC.

Spain – first round exit in Euro 2004 (Portugal beat them!), had to go through a playoff in WC qualifying and 2nd round exit in the World Cup.

Czech Rep – semi-finalist in Euro 2004, good in WC qualifying but exited first-round.

Your choice of putting England, Spain and Germany are at best baffling, but at worst sheer stupidity. You have based it on your opinion of a team rather than the facts, which I have outlined above.

Portugal had a better World Cup than Argentina and is already ahead of them in the current rankings so I can’t see that changing. That leaves the USA and Mexico. USA are only 6 points ahead of Portugal in the current rankings and they have gone a long way further than them in the World Cup, not to mention being finalist at Euro 2004, the hardest international tournament to win behind the World Cup. Mexico will definitely stay in the top 10, but Portugal beat them in the World up and went tow rounds further so that’s why I think Portugal will go ahead of them. Therefore I don’t think my prediction of Portugal being third is far wide of the mark, perhaps they will be 4th or at worst 5th, but your prediction of 10th is ludicrous, yet you tell me I’m having a laugh? :laugh:

Also, FIFA weights games based on their difficulty, i.e. A win against Honduras for the USA won’t get as many points as a win for Portugal against Russia for example. With the changes I can only see the weighting between UEFA and CONCACAF qualifiers growing, especially considering 2 of the 3 CONCACAF qualifiers didn’t make it past the first round!!! USA did twin the Gold cup though so perhaps they will stay inside the top 10, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Now on to Brazil, they are currently 80 points ahead of France and 100 points head of the other finalist Italy. FIFA aren’t going to make such drastic changes to the new system that that sort of gap will be closed.

Brazil is that far ahead for a reason. They made the quarter-finals, topped South American qualifying (the most gruelling qualifying campaign of any confederation – they play 18 games!). They also won Copa America (the hardest confederation championship behind Europe) and the Confederations Cup last year.

I think I should work for FIFA! :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:36 am

:sleep

I read the first sentence and fell asleep.
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion