New fifa ranking system - Where would england be?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:31 am

Just as I expected, you know I'm right so don't bother replying. You posted long-winded diatribes about Mexico when your opinion was challenged, yet don't bother when the shoe is on the other foot.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:54 am

LFC #1 wrote:Dear oh dear Oasis, I think you have spent too much time focusing on Mexico and not paying attention to any other international football.

Firstly Portugal: As I said in my other post they have probably been THE most consistent team in Europe over the last 2-3 years. They were finalists in Euro 2004, comfortably topped their group in World cup qualifying with an excellent goal difference and were semi-finalists in the World Cup. Let’s compare this to other top European nations shall we?

Italy – first round exit at Euro 2004, good WC qualifying campaign and in the World cup final. If they win on Sunday they will probably go ahead of Portugal, but if they don’t I think they will be around 4th or 5th.

England – Quarter-finalists in Euro 2004 where they lost to PORTUGAL, topped WC qualifying group (but were not convincing) quarter finalists in the world cup were they lost to, you guessed it, Portugal!

Holland – Semi-finalists at Euro 2004, where they lost to Portugal, had to go through a play-off to qualify for Germany and out 2nd round in World Cup, where they lost to Portugal (you must be as sick of reading that as I am of writing it, but it proves my point)

France – Unconvincing quarter final exit at Euro 2004, not spectacular in WC qualifying, but have finally put in some performances to reach the final in Germany.

Germany – first-round exit at Euro 2004, didn’t’ have to qualify for WC but were unconvincing in friendlies,  and went no further than Portugal in the WC.

Spain – first round exit in Euro 2004 (Portugal beat them!), had to go through a playoff in WC qualifying and 2nd round exit in the World Cup.

Czech Rep – semi-finalist in Euro 2004, good in WC qualifying but exited first-round.

Your choice of putting England, Spain and Germany are at best baffling, but at worst sheer stupidity. You have based it on your opinion of a team rather than the facts, which I have outlined above.

Portugal had a better World Cup than Argentina and is already ahead of them in the current rankings so I can’t see that changing. That leaves the USA and Mexico. USA are only 6 points ahead of Portugal in the current rankings and they have gone a long way further than them in the World Cup, not to mention being finalist at Euro 2004, the hardest international tournament to win behind the World Cup. Mexico will definitely stay in the top 10, but Portugal beat them in the World up and went tow rounds further so that’s why I think Portugal will go ahead of them. Therefore I don’t think my prediction of Portugal being third is far wide of the mark, perhaps they will be 4th or at worst 5th, but your prediction of 10th is ludicrous, yet you tell me I’m having a laugh? :laugh:

Also, FIFA weights games based on their difficulty, i.e. A win against Honduras for the USA won’t get as many points as a win for Portugal against Russia for example. With the changes I can only see the weighting between UEFA and CONCACAF qualifiers growing, especially considering 2 of the 3 CONCACAF qualifiers didn’t make it past the first round!!! USA did twin the Gold cup though so perhaps they will stay inside the top 10, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Now on to Brazil, they are currently 80 points ahead of France and 100 points head of the other finalist Italy. FIFA aren’t going to make such drastic changes to the new system that that sort of gap will be closed.

Brazil is that far ahead for a reason. They made the quarter-finals, topped South American qualifying (the most gruelling qualifying campaign of any confederation – they play 18 games!). They also won Copa America (the hardest confederation championship behind Europe) and the Confederations Cup last year.

I think I should work for FIFA! :D

Well thought out post mate, I don't think you'll be too far off with your predictions either.  Definitely agree that Portugal will be pretty high up - wins against other possible top ten sides like Holland and England at this tournament will have done no harm at all.  And as you said, they've been extremely consistent in both qualifying and in major tournaments recently.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:52 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Just as I expected, you know I'm right so don't bother replying. You posted long-winded diatribes about Mexico when your opinion was challenged, yet don't bother when the shoe is on the other foot.

That, and he's just been dying to use that one-liner since Ace Ventura used it on him in the 'great Mexico debate'!  :D

Good post, mate...the rest of us thought it was worth reading!  :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:59 pm

I didn't realise you could read minds, Bob. I just got fed up of reading about Portugal that's all. The Portugese shouldn't playing football but performing Sawn Lake.  :D

The fact of the matter is, I stuck teams anywhere without giving it a second thought, ranks don't mean anything or does it now mean something that Portugal will be quite high up?

All I'm interested in is watching Italy vs France, Portugal as far as I'm concerned along with Mexico and England and all the others are out.

The End

Fin
48-1119859832

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:57 pm

0asis wrote:I didn't realise you could read minds, Bob.

Only simple ones mate!  :D

I just got fed up of reading about Portugal that's all.

Much like the rest of us are tired of hearing about Mexico?  :D

My two cents...

I don't put much stock in rankings either but, however they are ranked, Portugal are a quality footballing side.  Unfortunately, they resort to chicanery in order to con the refs far too often for my taste.  Stay on your feet lads, play the football you're capable of and you'll go far.  Resorting to the flops and fake injuries only invites a bad reputation that will hurt you in the long run, as officials turn a blind eye to any legitimate appeals you might have for fouls, penalties, cards, etc.

If the Portuguese can sort this part of their game out, they'll truly be a side capable of winning the big tournament.  Especially if they can develop a potent strike force and play two up front (with Figo certain to retire, they'll have more opportunity to do that).

I expect they'll be a thorn in other nations' sides for many years to come and England, for one, would do well to steer clear of them for their own mental health!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:13 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
0asis wrote:I didn't realise you could read minds, Bob.

Only simple ones mate!  :D

I just got fed up of reading about Portugal that's all.

Much like the rest of us are tired of hearing about Mexico?  :D

My two cents...

I don't put much stock in rankings either but, however they are ranked, Portugal are a quality footballing side.  Unfortunately, they resort to chicanery in order to con the refs far too often for my taste.  Stay on your feet lads, play the football you're capable of and you'll go far.  Resorting to the flops and fake injuries only invites a bad reputation that will hurt you in the long run, as officials turn a blind eye to any legitimate appeals you might have for fouls, penalties, cards, etc.

If the Portuguese can sort this part of their game out, they'll truly be a side capable of winning the big tournament.  Especially if they can develop a potent strike force and play two up front (with Figo certain to retire, they'll have more opportunity to do that).

I expect they'll be a thorn in other nations' sides for many years to come and England, for one, would do well to steer clear of them for their own mental health!

:sleep
48-1119859832

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:51 am

0asis wrote:bear in [mind]* my knowledge on football is c.rap.

Spot on, mate!  :nod

:D

*Edited for grammatical correctness but the original sentiment, as expressed by the author, has been preserved.  :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 am

Portugal 2 - 1 Mexico

:D   :eyebrow
Last edited by LFC #1 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:12 am

Portugal vs Mexico: Bear in mind this in jest Oasis, it's just you claim to be sick of hearing baout Portugal so I thought i'd just give you a little reminder. : D

Last edited by LFC #1 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:18 am

:sleep
48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:23 am

Bad Bob wrote:
0asis wrote:bear in [mind]* my knowledge on football is c.rap.

Spot on, mate!  :nod

:D

*Edited for grammatical correctness but the original sentiment, as expressed by the author, has been preserved.  :laugh:

I'm noth bothered that my knowledge on the game isn't a great, I don't sit there and study every pass of every match and every transfer from every club. As I said football isn't my life, I just watch it as entertainment value at most, if choose to sit there and pretend to be Alan Hansen infront of your T.V then that's up to you.

But even compared to Hansen you're out of your depth.  :p
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:01 pm

0asis wrote:As I said football isn't my life, I just watch it as entertainment value at most,

Oh that's right, if Liverpool lose or win it doesn't affect you at all.

You said in aother thread "Liverpool is no more than entertainment at the most, when they lose I don't get upset. When they win my day doesn't suddenly brighten up."

So obviously on that basis, when we won in Istanbul you had no emotion at all, what sort of "fan" is that?

I am a little perplexed though? If football was entertainment at best for you, why did you defend Mexico so strongly and get in a week-long debate with Ace Ventura over it? Surely someone who thinks football is merely entertainment couldn't take it that seriously? Do you see the contradiction?
Last edited by LFC #1 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:56 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
0asis wrote:As I said football isn't my life, I just watch it as entertainment value at most,

You said in aother thread "Liverpool is no more than entertainment at the most, when they lose I don't get upset. When they win my day doesn't suddenly brighten up."

So obviously on that basis, when we won in Istanbul you had no emotion at all, what sort of "fan" is that?

I am a little perplexed though? If football was entertainment at best for you, why did you defend Mexico so strongly and get in a week-long debate with Ace Ventura over it? Surely someone who thinks football is merely entertainment couldn't take it that seriously? Do you see the contradiction?

I was correcting Ace's ignorance that's all and yes I did rejoice in the Champions League final, this years F.A cup and the treble in 2001 and any trophy since 1985. However I don't live and breathe football that was my point. Obviously it's great when  Liverpool win, but I wouldn't bankcrupt myself just to go to see them in a mjaor cup final was my orignal point. To many Liverpool is their world, it's what they base their lives around and there's nothing wrong with that, ppl can choose to do that, but not every Liverpool fan or football fan has to live, breathe, drink and eat football.

And this has nothing to do with the orignal topic, it seems as if you want to start a war of words, you do that, but don't expect me to join in.
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:14 pm

0asis wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:

I was correcting Ace's ignorance that's all and yes I did rejoice in the Champions League final, this years F.A cup and the treble in 2001 and any trophy since 1985. However I don't live and breathe football that was my point. Obviously it's great when  Liverpool win, but I wouldn't bankcrupt myself just to go to see them in a mjaor cup final was my orignal point. To many Liverpool is their world, it's what they base their lives around and there's nothing wrong with that, ppl can choose to do that, but not every Liverpool fan or football fan has to live, breathe, drink and eat football.

And this has nothing to do with the orignal topic, it seems as if you want to start a war of words, you do, but don't expect me to join in.

No war of words. I just didn't understand where you were coming from, as you seemed to contradict yourself.

I now understand your point of view a little better and your last post was fair enough IMO.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:25 pm

1. Brazil
2. France/Italy
3. Italy/France
4. Portugal
5. Argentina
6. Germany
7. Spain
8. Mexico
9. England