African nations treated with no respect? - Fifa orders mali to release duo

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby puroresu » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:50 pm

Fifa has ordered Mali to release Mahamadou Diarra and Fredi Kanoute for the final game of the Spanish season on Sunday, but Brazil are still refusing to allow Robinho to play for Real Madrid.

The late conclusion of the Primera Liga season has resulted in a multitude of club-versus-country rows, and in the case of Mali, Fifa has come down on the side of the Spanish sides.

Sevilla striker Kanoute and Real midfielder Diarra had both travelled to their home country ahead of Sunday's African Cup of Nations qualifier against Sierra Leone, but will now return to Spain after Fifa ordered the African country to release the star pair.

"Fifa has sent a fax to the Malian Football Association today confirming that Kanoute and Diarra should be allowed to play for their respective Spanish clubs this weekend," said Fifa spokesman Andreas Herren.

"The request for this weekend's Cup of Nations fixtures were submitted by Confederation of African Football to Fifa after the fixtures for the Spanish championship were already in place.

"According to Fifa rules this means the players are not subject to a 'compulsory release' to play for their country."

However, Brazil have not been issued a similar order after demanding that Real forward Robinho join up with their training camp ahead of the Copa America finals.

Real are keen to keep hold of the youngster as they prepare for Sunday's game at home to Real Mallorca, and Robinho is unhappy at the prospect of missing out on a thrilling conclusion to the season.

"To me it would put sad not to be able to play," said Robinho to Marca. "I nibbled the bone all the year and, now, at the time of eating the fillet, I am going to miss out?

"It would not be good for me. I want to be present at this moment that it is so important for the club."

There is still time to reach an agreement but, with Fifa regulations behind them as the tournament begins in less than two weeks, Brazil appear unwilling to find a compromise.

"Real Madrid is at fault for what is happening," Brazil FA official Rodrigo Pavia told the Brazilian press. "They always close the door to us.

"Last year when we had everything arranged for having Marcelo for the Under 20 team they didn't let him come. I think that now is the moment we have to treat them how they treated us."

Is it really right that Mali have to release players even though they have a qualifying game?  Kanoute is not meant to be happy with this decision at all.

Shouldnt Fifa also demand Brazil to release Robinho?
puroresu

Postby tithead » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:52 pm

He did get to play though, didn't he? In any case Madrid would have been better of without him, too wasteful a player IMO.

FIFA are a :censored: up though, should grow some balls and enforce their rules.
tithead

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion