3%
Ferguson
3%
Mourinho
21%

Total votes : 34

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:39 pm

And in what order?
I only ask this as iw as chatting with some mates the other night. Arsenal and man poo (chuckle) may always be good in the league but aside from manures champions league fluke, when did they last reach the semis? and how often have arsenal got as far as we have in our first year?

Im not jumping the gunn, know theres a long way to go, but how much differenc also is there between a great league manager and a great european manager?

(Too many qs for the pole now...lol)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:59 am

All great mangers, with their own unique style.

Benitez is definitely the most honest and respectable of the lot.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:11 am

Benni is the best, the others suck.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dom1 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:58 pm

divvy's on toast you lot are!!

mourinho...noooo doubt about it! :p
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat May 14, 2005 9:31 pm

This is an old post of mine on the matter.

Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger are both excellent and proven managers, of that there is no disputing.

I can just smell a New Order arriving with the young continental managers taking over.  A new era. Three of the four managers in the finals of the main European competitions in 2004 were Mourinho, Benitez and Deschamps.

Manchester United had their day in the sun in the 90's and although an excellent side they appear to be in decline.  When you hear stories emanating from the corridors of Old Trafford that they are complaining about Chelsea "buying the title", I can only laugh until my sides hurt at this remark.   

So were they not the club who consistently broke British transfer records and regularly spent £10million plus; signing the likes of Keane, Cole, Yorke, Ferdinand, Rooney, Veron , Van Nistelrooy. 

And they're the players they signed!!!  How much would the ones they desperately wanted, but missed out on cost them in total combined?  Namely Shearer, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho?  Another £50 million plus? 

I can carry on as well......Robben, Duff and even Steven Gerrard.

So they must learn to live with Chelsea's billions and realise there is now a bigger kid in the playground than them.  Although still a very dangerous side on their day, for their own standards, their dominance is over.  When they realise this themselves after their Golden generation has long gone and they have bought inadequate replacements (which Fergie's main lieutenant Roy Keane has already hinted that they believe this is the case already) they should self-destruct to a point where they can only sustain a limited challenge on the title much like Roy Evans' Liverpool sides of the mid 90's.

Arsenal can only fail to live up to their 'Invincibles' tag, much as like Real Madrid look anything but Galactic as of late..  It was an historic achievement to go a whole season undefeated and will be remembered for many years to come.  It will be very difficult for a team to do that ever again.  The great Liverpool sides never managed it.  Even " boring, boring but very hard to beat Arsenal " when champions in 1990/91 were defeated once.  Even Chelsea for all their qualities this season still lost at Manchester City.  Patrick Vieira isn't looking the same player. Robert  Pires has been hit and miss after two excellent back to back seasons.  Bergkamp is still world class although not a first choice regular anymore.  Their youngsters although a high standard, are not firing on all cylinders, barring Flamini, Fabregas and the Ashley Cole-lite Gael Clichy.

Lastly, some of their squad actually want away from Arsenal.  There has been well documented interest in Ashley Cole from (who else?) Chelsea and Real Madrid and both Edu and Lauren look like they will be moving to the continent next season.

Chelsea and to a point Liverpool have been serial under-achievers over the last few years.  We didn't build on our treble the way we should have, given the money Houllier was trusted with to spend on players; and Chelsea have always been the nearly-men.  Counted amongst the big boys but never seriously looking like title winners. 

Hopefully they still will always be the nearly men!!!!

But the only direction for Liverpool and Chelsea is upwards, and both teams finally have the managers to make this possible.  It's time Liverpool stood up and were counted once again.  Manchester United and Arsenal can keep their pathological rivalry to themselves; and while they are baiting each other in the press, they just might fail to see the two younger managers Benitez and Mourinho at Liverpool and Chelsea; and their teams casually run past them and take over at the summit of domestic football.

They, not Wenger and Ferguson, will be the new standard bearers for other managers to aspire to.
jonnymac1979

Postby JBG » Mon May 16, 2005 2:56 pm

Excellent post Jonny.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:20 pm

Cheers mate.  Wrote that around December 2004 - January 2005 I think and I still stand by it.  :)
jonnymac1979

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:02 pm

Part of Rafas interview :
"I want to go to the market thinking about players with passion, as well as ability, then I know that we will do better things in the future," he said.

"My plan is to improve the reserve team for next season, and to have some more players ready for the first team.

"As a big club you need to increase your level to look for the best players in the world, and we are trying to find some players for different positions. But the most important thing is to find skilful players, and players with character.

"If we want to increase our level away from home we need that type of player to suit our style of play.

"You need players like Jamie Carragher, for example, with passion. We are trying to find, if possible, both."

That's why I belive we'll be stronger next season. He's looking for players with passion and devotion to the club like Carra.

:bowdown RAFA  :bowdown
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:39 pm

.. Benitez is the best .. how cool when we won the CL.. when Gerrard scored against Olympiacos.. coolness personified.. and so focussed..

.. BTW Pablo.. your signiture.. man.. what is it with you blokes.. :D all a bunch of puffs :D
Last edited by zarababe on Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Afroman » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:41 pm

What a surprise Rafa got the highest but its justified
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Afroman » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:45 pm

Why isn't David Moyes up there,I know he's a complete bender, but he took a terrible everton team to 4th
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:09 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:They, not Wenger and Ferguson, will be the new standard bearers for other managers to aspire to.

good point,well put.I thought that then,only you posted it.Thats why your the boss.
The old "gallo" claret is doing the business here again  :;):
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:06 am

Which 6 gimps voted for Moris? Go and kill yourselves. ??? :blues: :p

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MCYan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:37 pm

Wenger by far the best. Morinho the last coz he only spends. Ferguson prolyl acheived a lot more than Rafa, but i think Rafa will show his worth this season.
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football Related Polls