Top 4 07/08

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:13 pm

For me its going to be largely the same as last season. Ok we have added quality in depth along with a couple of options up top. But does anybody else see us in all honesty higher than 3rd spot?
And before the optimists/rose garden brigade pipe up...i believe 3rd place to be a realistic achievement for the club based on Rafa's present mindset in the prem and the current crop here. Until that changes drastically (which it wont as long as the CL dominates the agenda). Pretty much set for a similar ride as last year imo.

Two pennorths at the ready.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedorDead » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:22 pm

red37 wrote:For me its going to be largely the same as last season. Ok we have added quality in depth along with a couple of options up top. But does anybody else see us in all honesty higher than 3rd spot?
And before the optimists/rose garden brigade pipe up...i believe 3rd place to be a realistic achievement for the club based on Rafa's present mindset in the prem and the current crop here. Until that changes drastically (which it wont as long as the CL dominates the agenda). Pretty much set for a similar ride as last year imo.

Two pennorths at the ready.

I know I have to keep my feet on the ground and remain realistic BUT to say we're in for a similar ride to last year is a little too bleak for me. Rafa has added some real quality this summer so far and noone can say our squad is not significantly better than it was lining up for last season so surely we will improve?
I fully expect us to be better this season then last, are we going to win the league? Maybe a little too early for that. Are we going to come runner's up? Again it might be no with Chelsea and Man Utd both looking as strong as ever BUT is the gap going to be as wide as last season? No...I don't think it will.
While third in itself would not be a failure in my eyes finishing 21 points off top spot and 14 behind behind second would most definitly be very disappointing. My genuine hope and belief is that we will compete this year and at least pressure teh top too into April and from there who knows?
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:23 pm

1- Man Utd or Chelsea
2- Man Utd or Chelsea
3- Liverpool
4- Arsenal or Tottenham
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:27 pm

I think we may have a decent shot at the title this year, the mancs played to their max lastseason( hopefully not to be repeated) and Chelsea seem to be still trying to shoehorn players in ala Real Madrid rather than picking a balanced team. Arsenal could even drop out of the big four to be replaced by Spurs unless someone picks up the gauntlet dropped by Henry. :cool:

Rose tinted glasses off, we need to be still in with a shout after Christmas, then see what develops. We need some of our new players to settle quickly and some of our established stars to shine. I think we can certainly come 2nd , first is a bit of a stretch but possible.

1 Liverpool
2 Mancs (spit)
3 Chelsea
4 Spurs
account deleted by request

Postby red37 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:36 pm

RedorDead wrote:I know I have to keep my feet on the ground and remain realistic BUT to say we're in for a similar ride to last year is a little too bleak for me.

That all depends on both the players and the managers mentality from the off. Starting at Villa. There has to be a positive shift in the attitude, hunger, desire and general all round 'horrible' - ness amongst the entire club for the gap to be narrowed sufficiently enough to allow the acceptance of 3rd place to be deemed, an accomplishment. By 'Horrible' i mean exactly that.. there must be no shirkers, no hiding, no concessions on/off the park and above all else no more f**king excuses. We 'control' enough games apparantly - well lets get out there and damn well DOMINATE them!

Get that right away from the comfort of Anfield (We all know the games im on about) and the deficit will reduce significantly. I like the noises coming out of the club of late...but as in everything else, it remains to be seen whether they are infact translated into tangible positives where it matters most.

Results.

We'll see.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:40 pm

Blooooody ell Saint, might be setting yourself up for a bit of a fall there lad! It's all about the start. We've thrown it away in the 1st ten games and never stood a chance these past two years. I just wanna still be in the race come Feb-March and put in a decent run in the cups once again. I can't face the thought of being out of it by mid November this time around :(

Have to agree with Red. Top four to stay the same as last year but expect us to be closer to the top 2. I really fancy the mancs to win it again this year so long as they ride their luck on the injuries front that is. Take out Scholes of Ronaldo and i would expect them to dip a little but i think Hargreaves will prove to be a very good buy for them :(
Last edited by Scottbot on Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:00 am

I agree with Red37 its all about mindset this season. We need to go out and show from the off that we mean business this season. No messing about with the team worrying about the game next week, win this week and take next week when it comes.

My fall back stance is hoping the Mancs and Chelsea take their eye off the ball searching for CL glory and we nip in and pinch the league.

Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.
account deleted by request

Postby red37 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:02 am

s@int wrote:the mancs played to their max lastseason( hopefully not to be repeated)

Listen mate, the Mancs had a pretty much undisturbed campaign - injury wise. Chelsea were troubled in defence, thats what cost them the title, along with their managers single minded quest to be reminded as to why he is indeed the chosen one as far as the CL is concerned. Even Ferguson gave it his best shot but found the squad stretched bare at the 11th hour. Nobody that i know of (least of all me) is bothered by the fact that they might well befall the fates of Karma this time round and end up shafted with 3 or 4 key personnel on the treatment table for significant chunks of the season...is that really the way things work?  A pessimist would have you believe it can only happen to Liverpool. But it could easily transpire this time round.

The key difference is that they are strengthening an already established squad (in much the same way that Liverpool of old did - while still on top) whereas we, at the moment are still playing catch up. Liverpool (on paper) can match Chelsea and Manchester United's First 11. Of that im in no doubt. The true deficit lies underneath the first team .That may well be the case for another couple of years imo. Then the eventual disparagies will be addressed, by which time all this hard work and investment will bear fruit. That seems to be the plan layed out and it is a frugal one...Iam saying i see little change in the hierarchy of the premiership (above) our position for a while yet.

People need to realise that, in much the same way as they should not be slitting their wrists just because Tevez is heading down the East Lancs..or Alves might wriggle his way along the Kings Rd. For example. Even so, in real terms they might be forgiven for thinking its the end of the bloody world! Well its not, its called a sense of perspective and understanding that our time IS going to come round again, one day...just not yet. Rafa has been extremely active this summer at bolstering the squad at the level just underneath the First team. Players in the age bracket of 18-21 - loads of them. Not all, will make the grade...but some of them will. In 2-3 years time, fingers crossed and all that...our squad could well be the envy. That kind of optimism is fine and healthy.

Put it this way, i will be happy to finish 3rd again, so long as the gap IS infact reduced to a level where it is visible on the horizon. I would NOT accept 3rd place while those two disappear over it again by Christmas. All im saying.

Bring it on.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby heimdall » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:14 am

red37 wrote:
s@int wrote:the mancs played to their max lastseason( hopefully not to be repeated)

Listen mate, the Mancs had a pretty much undisturbed campaign - injury wise. Chelsea were troubled in defence, thats what cost them the title, along with their managers single minded quest to be reminded as to why he is indeed the chosen one as far as the CL is concerned. Even Ferguson gave it his best shot but found the squad stretched bare at the 11th hour. Nobody that i know of (least of all me) is bothered by the fact that they might well befall the fates of Karma this time round and end up shafted with 3 or 4 key personnel on the treatment table for significant chunks of the season...is that really the way things work?  A pessimist would have you believe it can only happen to Liverpool. But it could easily transpire this time round.

The key difference is that they are strengthening an already established squad (in much the same way that Liverpool of old did - while still on top) whereas we, at the moment are still playing catch up. Liverpool (on paper) can match Chelsea and Manchester United's First 11. Of that im in no doubt. The true deficit lies underneath the first team .That may well be the case for another couple of years imo. Then the eventual disparagies will be addressed, by which time all this hard work and investment will bear fruit. That seems to be the plan layed out and it is a frugal one...Iam saying i see little change in the hierarchy of the premiership (above) our position for a while yet.

People need to realise that, in much the same way as they should not be slitting their wrists just because Tevez is heading down the East Lancs..or Alves might wriggle his way along the Kings Rd. For example. Even so, in real terms they might be forgiven for thinking its the end of the bloody world! Well its not, its called a sense of perspective and understanding that our time IS going to come round again, one day...just not yet. Rafa has been extremely active this summer at bolstering the squad at the level just underneath the First team. Players in the age bracket of 18-21 - loads of them. Not all, will make the grade...but some of them will. In 2-3 years time, fingers crossed and all that...our squad could well be the envy. That kind of optimism is fine and healthy.

Put it this way, i will be happy to finish 3rd again, so long as the gap IS infact reduced to a level where it is visible on the horizon. I would NOT accept 3rd place while those two disappear over it again by Christmas. All im saying.

Bring it on.

Fair enough I can go along with that.

It will take a hell of a lot for us to win the league this season but then I never expected Manure to win last season nor did most of the manure fans if they're being honest.
heimdall

Postby babu » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:57 am

Bold prediction this:
1- Liverpool or Arsenal
2- Arsenal or Liverpool
3- Man U or Chelsea
4- Chelsea or Man U

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:59 am

heimdall wrote:
red37 wrote:

Bring it on.

Fair enough I can go along with that.

It will take a hell of a lot for us to win the league this season but then I never expected Manure to win last season nor did most of the manure fans if they're being honest.

I think that last point is a good one. Man Utd didn't think they'd win the league, not really. Chelsea bought Shevchenko and Ballack to add to their double title winning team, Arsenal looked strong and we too were talked about at the season's start...but then fate intervened.
Us and Arsenal started terribly, we couldn't win away til New Year it seemed. Then Chelsea lost Terry and Carvalho and for some reason Obramavich got tight in January and Man Utd just kept doing their thing. Ferguson is about the best there is maintaining a lead in the league and he saw it out.
The thing is it is not just about what we do, if we start well and other's have problems and we ride the bumpy patches then who knows where we'll be come next May.
I need to point out that I do not think we are ready to truly say we're going for the title this year but to dismiss it as an impossibility is foolhardy in my opinion.
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:00 am

babu wrote:Bold prediction this:
1- Liverpool or Arsenal
2- Arsenal or Liverpool
3- Man U or Chelsea
4- Chelsea or Man U

Extremely bold......you think Arsenal have the squad to finish in the top two? I personally think they are going to struggle to stay in the top four.
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:01 am

Cant see Arsenal staying in the top four, or at least they will have a decent battle with Tottenham.
Thingy

Postby babu » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:04 am

RedorDead wrote:
1- Liverpool or Arsenal
2- Arsenal or Liverpool
3- Man U or Chelsea
4- Chelsea or Man U

Extremely bold......you think Arsenal have the squad to finish in the top two? I personally think they are going to struggle to stay in the top four.

I know it goes against popular belief, but i reckon Arsenal will have a spanking season.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:12 am

babu wrote:
RedorDead wrote:
1- Liverpool or Arsenal
2- Arsenal or Liverpool
3- Man U or Chelsea
4- Chelsea or Man U

I know it goes against popular belief, but i reckon Arsenal will have a spanking season.

Fair enough, but what makes you think that? I have a lot of respect for Arsenal and particularly Arsene Wenger but I think he is on to a loser this year.
Henry has gone and will be impossible to replace, he wasn't a God and he was lazy and petulant at times but he could win you a match out of absolutely nothing and they will miss that. There is also a good chance that Fabregas is going and again he is about irreplacable for them.
I would say that they have a very good defence with Senderos, Toure and Gallas all being top quality defenders but another problem is going to come from the press. There is going to be constant speculation about Wenger leaving with his contract expirining in a year and that isn't going to help either.
My belief is that the only way they can possibly stay in the top four is if Tottenham don't make the leap forward that people think they might, they might have some bedding in to do before really going for that European Cup place.
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion