Top 4 07/08

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stapo1000 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 am

saying we cant win the league this season will be a huge test but not an impossible one for us. i think the key will be 2 things:
1- find our form early in the city
2- take 6 points minimum from 4 games against man u and chelsea
those are the 2 things that we didn't do in the last few seasons which lead to us being out of the title race before christmas. I cant see anything but improvement from us. on the other hand i can see united taking a step back. there team is aging and players like giggs, scholes will have a big ask in continuing their good form. Chelsea i feel will be more determined than ever to  win the league having lost it last season. Arsenal wont drop out of the top 4 but i expect them to struggle to keep up with the top 3
for me:
1-chelsea
2-lfc
3-man u
4-arsenal
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

RedorDead wrote:Fair enough, but what makes you think that? I have a lot of respect for Arsenal and particularly Arsene Wenger but I think he is on to a loser this year.
Henry has gone and will be impossible to replace, he wasn't a God and he was lazy and petulant at times but he could win you a match out of absolutely nothing and they will miss that. There is also a good chance that Fabregas is going and again he is about irreplacable for them.
I would say that they have a very good defence with Senderos, Toure and Gallas all being top quality defenders but another problem is going to come from the press. There is going to be constant speculation about Wenger leaving with his contract expirining in a year and that isn't going to help either.
My belief is that the only way they can possibly stay in the top four is if Tottenham don't make the leap forward that people think they might, they might have some bedding in to do before really going for that European Cup place.

oh god, i see stu lurking...  :D

All fair points RedorDead. I'll tell you what makes me think they will have a good season, my gut. That's it. Based on no more than a feeling.

I actually disagree that Viera's leaving Arsenal had as big as an impact as most claim. Henry's leaving will be same in my opinion. The turmoil surrounding the stepping down of Dien and Wenger's future.... its perfectly set-up for Wenger to prove everyone wrong. Expectations have been lowered, and pressure on the players. So i reckon Arsenal will start well, stay near the top 4, then come Jan suprise the crap outta everyone.

of course i could be wrong...  :p

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Happy-Punter » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:04 am

As long as we get some cover at the back I think we can win it. And before the season starts im sure we will have bought someon in. I think Spurs will do very well this season they have a good squad now. Chelsea will be in the paper for the wrong reasons and they will crack.

1. Liverpool
2. Man Utd
3. Spurs
4. Chelsea
Happy-Punter

Postby RedorDead » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:38 am

babu wrote:
RedorDead wrote:Fair enough, but what makes you think that? I have a lot of respect for Arsenal and particularly Arsene Wenger but I think he is on to a loser this year.
Henry has gone and will be impossible to replace, he wasn't a God and he was lazy and petulant at times but he could win you a match out of absolutely nothing and they will miss that. There is also a good chance that Fabregas is going and again he is about irreplacable for them.
I would say that they have a very good defence with Senderos, Toure and Gallas all being top quality defenders but another problem is going to come from the press. There is going to be constant speculation about Wenger leaving with his contract expirining in a year and that isn't going to help either.
My belief is that the only way they can possibly stay in the top four is if Tottenham don't make the leap forward that people think they might, they might have some bedding in to do before really going for that European Cup place.

oh god, i see stu lurking...  :D

All fair points RedorDead. I'll tell you what makes me think they will have a good season, my gut. That's it. Based on no more than a feeling.

I actually disagree that Viera's leaving Arsenal had as big as an impact as most claim. Henry's leaving will be same in my opinion. The turmoil surrounding the stepping down of Dien and Wenger's future.... its perfectly set-up for Wenger to prove everyone wrong. Expectations have been lowered, and pressure on the players. So i reckon Arsenal will start well, stay near the top 4, then come Jan suprise the crap outta everyone.

of course i could be wrong...  :p

I guess if anyone can motivate and lead a group of youngsters to league success it is Wenger and if he can keep hold of Fabregas then he MIGHT be able to mount a challenge BUT I think I will stick to my guns and predict Arsenal will finish no higher than fourth this coming season, either way it will be interesting watching it all unfold.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:14 am

As long as we get at least 7 wins from our first 10 games we'll have a chance. For the last two seasons we never got going till october.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lfc4life83 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:56 am

heimdall wrote:
red37 wrote:
s@int wrote:the mancs played to their max lastseason( hopefully not to be repeated)

Listen mate, the Mancs had a pretty much undisturbed campaign - injury wise. Chelsea were troubled in defence, thats what cost them the title, along with their managers single minded quest to be reminded as to why he is indeed the chosen one as far as the CL is concerned. Even Ferguson gave it his best shot but found the squad stretched bare at the 11th hour. Nobody that i know of (least of all me) is bothered by the fact that they might well befall the fates of Karma this time round and end up shafted with 3 or 4 key personnel on the treatment table for significant chunks of the season...is that really the way things work?  A pessimist would have you believe it can only happen to Liverpool. But it could easily transpire this time round.

The key difference is that they are strengthening an already established squad (in much the same way that Liverpool of old did - while still on top) whereas we, at the moment are still playing catch up. Liverpool (on paper) can match Chelsea and Manchester United's First 11. Of that im in no doubt. The true deficit lies underneath the first team .That may well be the case for another couple of years imo. Then the eventual disparagies will be addressed, by which time all this hard work and investment will bear fruit. That seems to be the plan layed out and it is a frugal one...Iam saying i see little change in the hierarchy of the premiership (above) our position for a while yet.

People need to realise that, in much the same way as they should not be slitting their wrists just because Tevez is heading down the East Lancs..or Alves might wriggle his way along the Kings Rd. For example. Even so, in real terms they might be forgiven for thinking its the end of the bloody world! Well its not, its called a sense of perspective and understanding that our time IS going to come round again, one day...just not yet. Rafa has been extremely active this summer at bolstering the squad at the level just underneath the First team. Players in the age bracket of 18-21 - loads of them. Not all, will make the grade...but some of them will. In 2-3 years time, fingers crossed and all that...our squad could well be the envy. That kind of optimism is fine and healthy.

Put it this way, i will be happy to finish 3rd again, so long as the gap IS infact reduced to a level where it is visible on the horizon. I would NOT accept 3rd place while those two disappear over it again by Christmas. All im saying.

Bring it on.

Fair enough I can go along with that.

It will take a hell of a lot for us to win the league this season but then I never expected Manure to win last season nor did most of the manure fans if they're being honest.

U no nothing their reign was interupted by injuries to van der sar, saha, vidic, rooney, neville, evra, brown, park, ronaldo and giggs. cooooo cooooooo GO LIVERPOOL!!!
lfc4life83

Postby redmikey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:00 am

you can't tell until xmas what the top 4 will be,

spurs have spent well

arsenal haven't spent much and have lost henry

Chelsea might not gel well or sheva might blow people away

i agree that manure played above the level of there individuals but that is down to there claret faced old jock feck that  got the best out of average players, o sh!t, felcher, ole goner get younger, bambi stopped diving,fatboy had an average season,
but they ground out results where they didn't deserve them and that is what we need to do

tevez is a great signing as he's had time to adapt in the epl and the fact everyone here would have been made up if we had nicked him at the last minute from under there noses is statement to that

but at a guess here's my top 4

heart;   liverpool  97 pts

man u     96 pts

cleasea  92 pts

spurs     84 pts
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:18 am

I think the top four will remain undisturbed again.

I didn't think Manure had a title winning squad last year, but they built up momentum and rode with it all the way to the title. Scholes was the difference for them last season, compared with the one before. But as we all know, they have improved their squad once again and have to be favourites for the title.

Chelsea were unlucky with injuries last year, which I think cost them the title. Their best midfielder (Essien) was played in defence for large portions. But they haven't been as bloodthirsty in the transfer market which gives the impression that there spending has reached a plateau (thank God). What's interesting at Chelsea is the appointment of Avram Grant as Director of Football, this looks like causing a bit of infighting and may affect their title push.

People are writing off Arsenal already. They've sold their captain, had a poor season last year and haven't signed any "A-Listers" (yet). I think it would be folly to disregard them though. Arsenal have a lot of talented youngsters coming through, and I think a lot of them will be making the transition to the Premiership line-ups this season after last years Carling Cup heroics. When on-song, they play the best football in the Premiership by far, and if everything clicks, they could well be in with a shout.

Pushing for fifth and sixth will be Tottenham, Everton, Villa, West Ham and Newcastle.

As for us, I think our new signings will be the missing part of the jigsaw and we will win the title at a canter - but then again, I think that every July.  :D
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:09 am

Utd were unstoppable last season, but didn't remain injury free - they were on a par with us I think in terms of injuries. Their defence was shot to pieces around april time, and along the season: Smith, Saha, Rooney, vidic, neville, Heinze, evra, brown, park, ronaldo and giggs all suffered injuries at one point or another.  Apart from sicknote 'arry, and garcia our first team was relatively unscathed. (by that i mean missing a game with a knock doesnt really count - its not like we lost reina for half a season, or carra for a month, which is what happened to chelsea)

Anyway injuries aside, we've all stregthened our squad, but i too think it'll be the same top 4 as last year. Chelsea may even pip the mancs to it as if cech, terry and carvelho remain fit and drogba starts where he left off, they'll be fighting it out all the way.

The key will be how players settle. last season shev and ballack didnt, but chelsea still finished 2nd. Hargreeves will probably settle in quickly, and even if he doesnt they've still got carrick and scoles in the middle. Same with Tevez, if he doesnt fit the team, rooney, ronaldo, giggs, scoles and saha will step up. We have to rely quite heavily on torres hitting the ground running and kuyt to up his scoring game. and kewell to stay fit, and more goals from our midfield.

For us, I think 3rd would be respectable, with hopefully no more than 9 points off first place. And 2 or 3 good cup runs.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:10 am

3rd for me but will be in the race a lot longer. I dont know why Arsenal are written off.  If the new striker is a good finisher he will score plenty as Arsenal will still create more chances than any other side in the league.
puroresu

Postby Fingers » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:25 am

I hate myself for saying this lads, but i think second is best we can hope for this season, i mean unless we gel very quickly. and Torres adapts to the Prem very very quickly. and our main threat will be Man Ure.

And the reason I don't think that Chelsea will win it!!??, everything going on at the moment over there, reeks of the fact that they have no faith in Maureen, first the purse strings are pulled shut, a statement that there will be no big money signings (something that quickly changes after we start splashing out on our top targets rather than settling for what we can afford,and why not,  we have competed with them reasonably in the league well, and absolutely Dwarfed "the special one' in Europe, basically on a shoe string, imagine the panic when he realised he had to meet Rafa this season on a 'more even' playing field)

Then they hire this Grant fella, someone that Maureen had previously said he didn't want there,(also someone who is a close friend of abramovich, and who has the dredentials to take over should he be asked) then he gives a little press conference sounding like a stroppy kid, firing off warnings to the media that Grant was welcome at the club as long as he doesn't interfere with his power. Pitiful!!

Thirdly his so transparent little mind games, even this early in the season, before a ball has been kicked in anger, he is mouthing off about how the pressure is on us now we have spent big. you can see the panic in the 'soon to be unemployed' special ones eyes, (and frankly i love it)

On our side of things, we are finally bringing in out top targets, we have players like Kuyt, who will now hopefully start finding his feet and really showing us what he can do, (not that last season was bad from him by any means) wide players coming in that will 'hopefully' allow Gerrard to start running the show from the centre of the park, (Surely the right hand side is now a straight race between Pennant and Benayoun now?)  i can see us really starting to make the push we need to bring number 19 home, maybe not this year but i think after another year of building and gelling, you have got to believe that it will be our time.

the futures bright, the futures red

:cool: :cool:
As always I am focused on supporting the Cloob and the Manager
Fingers

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:46 am

I've changed my spots, 4th or 3rd place will be a success and I'll be happy with that, or SHOULD be happy.

Seriously though, realisticly though, I can see us finnishing 3rd or 4th :D  But so long as we dont wimper out before Christmas and stay in the hunt I'll be pleased with that from the manager and players.

But this finnishing 3rd or 4th every season cannot go on every year, and smeared over with the same old excuses, eventually somethings going to give.
66-1112520797

Postby Kopite-Jud » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:14 pm

1. United
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4.Tottenham

It Will Be A Tight Season Between The Top 3
Kopite-Jud

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:50 pm

red37 wrote:
s@int wrote:the mancs played to their max lastseason( hopefully not to be repeated)

Listen mate, the Mancs had a pretty much undisturbed campaign - injury wise. Chelsea were troubled in defence, thats what cost them the title, along with their managers single minded quest to be reminded as to why he is indeed the chosen one as far as the CL is concerned. Even Ferguson gave it his best shot but found the squad stretched bare at the 11th hour. Nobody that i know of (least of all me) is bothered by the fact that they might well befall the fates of Karma this time round and end up shafted with 3 or 4 key personnel on the treatment table for significant chunks of the season...is that really the way things work?  A pessimist would have you believe it can only happen to Liverpool. But it could easily transpire this time round.

The key difference is that they are strengthening an already established squad (in much the same way that Liverpool of old did - while still on top) whereas we, at the moment are still playing catch up. Liverpool (on paper) can match Chelsea and Manchester United's First 11. Of that im in no doubt. The true deficit lies underneath the first team .That may well be the case for another couple of years imo. Then the eventual disparagies will be addressed, by which time all this hard work and investment will bear fruit. That seems to be the plan layed out and it is a frugal one...Iam saying i see little change in the hierarchy of the premiership (above) our position for a while yet.

People need to realise that, in much the same way as they should not be slitting their wrists just because Tevez is heading down the East Lancs..or Alves might wriggle his way along the Kings Rd. For example. Even so, in real terms they might be forgiven for thinking its the end of the bloody world! Well its not, its called a sense of perspective and understanding that our time IS going to come round again, one day...just not yet. Rafa has been extremely active this summer at bolstering the squad at the level just underneath the First team. Players in the age bracket of 18-21 - loads of them. Not all, will make the grade...but some of them will. In 2-3 years time, fingers crossed and all that...our squad could well be the envy. That kind of optimism is fine and healthy.

Put it this way, i will be happy to finish 3rd again, so long as the gap IS infact reduced to a level where it is visible on the horizon. I would NOT accept 3rd place while those two disappear over it again by Christmas. All im saying.

Bring it on.

Good post, mate.  :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kewell2Dominate » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:21 pm

Honestly i think it will go
1. Man U
2. Liverpool
3.Chelski
4. Spurs

I can't see the gooners recovering from losing thierry this year. Arsene might still bring in one or two big names but there defence is shot. The mancs are scaring me although nani and anderson are unknown and will either blow us away or sink. Hargreaves will give them a ball winner and scholes will do the damage like he did last year. If tevez signs they are going to be a force. Chelski, what do i say. Maureen seems to be losing his noggin there and i think that brief empire will begin to crumble. Players wise, i thought last year they had a great team and despite injuries should have one. The top 3 are going to be a lot closer this year then last yr. I think we can sneak the prem if we get off to a belter of a start. Heres hoping.
Kewell2Dominate

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion