Top 4 07/08

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Deep456 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Newcastle will be 4th im sure of it. That will be there most probable team next season, looks really strong I must say. I am considering Bridge, Edmilson and Deco will be bought but they have been linked heavily with them and wouldn't be suprised.

Given
Gerami Rozenhal/Edmilson Taylor Bridge
Deco Barton Butt Duff/Luque
          Martins Owen
Deep456

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:41 pm

Deep456 wrote:Newcastle will be 4th im sure of it. That will be there most probable team next season, looks really strong I must say. I am considering Bridge, Edmilson and Deco will be bought but they have been linked heavily with them and wouldn't be suprised.

Given
          Martins Owen

I just can't see them signing the likes of Deco nor holding onto Martins, as Arsenal will come a calling.  I think Big Sam will have his work cut out getting them back into the UEFA spots but I'd not be surprised if he got them there in the end.  Top four seems a bridge too far for a club in significant transition, IMO.  If anyone's going to break up the current Top 4, it'll be Spurs.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Owzat » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:41 pm

Can we win the league this season? I'm leaning towards no simply because we're bringing in so many new players, Torres will be playing here for the first time and while we struggled to score last season that may not be instantly fixed. We didn't build on the success of the previous season as well as we could, our home form was that of title contenders but our our away form was mid-table dross.

Interestingly spudz are spending plenty and I think the goners are looking a little behind in the transfer market. No Henry and if spudz sort out their defence then they may well displace the goners. It's hard to see past the mancs and chelski who've spent plenty on their teams and indeed the only two teams in this country able to field an XI worth over £140m! It's no surprise the two most expensive teams in the country have landed the league between them in the past three seasons and only Arsenal have disrupted the domination of the £££

I had to laugh at rumours moyes is whinging about big spenders, if the tight Rs won't spend £6m on a striker how does he expect to attract decent players?!?!? He's lucky any were mad enough to go there in the first place, the way things are going West Ham, Pompey, Villa, Sunderland and a few other teams will spend their money and push everton down where they belong
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Deep456 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:43 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Deep456 wrote:Newcastle will be 4th im sure of it. That will be there most probable team next season, looks really strong I must say. I am considering Bridge, Edmilson and Deco will be bought but they have been linked heavily with them and wouldn't be suprised.

Given
          Martins Owen

I just can't see them signing the likes of Deco nor holding onto Martins, as Arsenal will come a calling.  I think Big Sam will have his work cut out getting them back into the UEFA spots but I'd not be surprised if he got them there in the end.  Top four seems a bridge too far for a club in significant transition, IMO.  If anyone's going to break up the current Top 4, it'll be Spurs.

Even though Martins has said today he won't leave unless Newcastle want him to, which they don't. On top of this Wenger hasn't even made an inquiry. You heard it hear first they will finish top 4.now
Deep456

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Deep456 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Given
          Martins Owen

Even though Martins has said today he won't leave unless Newcastle want him to, which they don't. On top of this Wenger hasn't even made an inquiry. You heard it hear first they will finish top 4.now

:D

Well, as long as he said so!  :;):   Actually, I hope he doesn't leave and I would certainly not mind if the barcodes cracked the top four, provided you do it a some other team's expense, of course!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby kunilson » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:32 pm

1)chelsea                                  liverpool
2)man u                                    chelsea
3)liverpool                                 man u
4)spurs/arsenal                          spurs/arsenal

what i think.                              what i want.

MUST stay in the race into the new year. want to see a fluidity with our play build up over the year....anything else = bonus.

oh and at least 1 cup to come home.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby destro » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:50 pm

1 Liverpool
2 Man U
3 Chelsea
4 Aston Villa/Spurs
destro

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:03 pm

I am a little disappointed that most people seem to be dismissive of our chances this season. I just hope our players and manager have a little more faith.

We have just paid out our record fee for a player, our defence looks solid and Agger is now established as a first team regular. Our midfield looks with the added strength of Mascherano truly the best in the world, or at least in the prem. We look, at least on paper a much better balanced squad than last season. Admittedly we still look a little short on quality and experience (of the prem) up front, but I have hope that Torres and Babel will quickly adapt with the help of Kuyt and Crouch.

The mancs last season got off to a flyer due to their opening fixtures being relatively easy, the confidence and momentum gained carried them forward on a wave. I can't see that happening again this year. Scholes and Giggs are year older and their new signings arn't yet of the quality to replace them. Tevez while seemingly being ideal for us, may not prove ideal in the same side as Rooney.

All is not lost, a good start, with a winning mentality and luck with injuries could be enough to swing the momentum in our favour, and once (if) we are in front we will take some catching. Maybe we arn't good enough to win the prem yet, maybe the best we can hope for is 3rd with a challenge till after Christmas, but if the belief is there in manager, players and fans maybe we can pull off a surprising win. We have the spine of a great team sorted, we just need them to go out and prove it.
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:39 pm

s@int wrote:I am a little disappointed that most people seem to be dismissive of our chances this season. I just hope our players and manager have a little more faith.

We have just paid out our record fee for a player, our defence looks solid and Agger is now established as a first team regular. Our midfield looks with the added strength of Mascherano truly the best in the world, or at least in the prem. We look, at least on paper a much better balanced squad than last season. Admittedly we still look a little short on quality and experience (of the prem) up front, but I have hope that Torres and Babel will quickly adapt with the help of Kuyt and Crouch.

The mancs last season got off to a flyer due to their opening fixtures being relatively easy, the confidence and momentum gained carried them forward on a wave. I can't see that happening again this year. Scholes and Giggs are year older and their new signings arn't yet of the quality to replace them. Tevez while seemingly being ideal for us, may not prove ideal in the same side as Rooney.

All is not lost, a good start, with a winning mentality and luck with injuries could be enough to swing the momentum in our favour, and once (if) we are in front we will take some catching. Maybe we arn't good enough to win the prem yet, maybe the best we can hope for is 3rd with a challenge till after Christmas, but if the belief is there in manager, players and fans maybe we can pull off a surprising win. We have the spine of a great team sorted, we just need them to go out and prove it.

Good post and I agree with your optimism.  Personally, I'm very optimistic that we will be challenging for the title properly this season--from August until May.

Will we win it?  It's certainly possible and I'm definitely not ruling it out.  But, with the margin of error being so slight these days, you never know.  An unlucky injury or two, a barren patch in front of goal or a few clangers at the back at the wrong times and we might drop the few points that mean the difference between champions and also-rans.  Now, that might be considered negative thinking (after all, the same what-ifs can definitely be applied to our competitors) but for me these are important things to keep in mind.  I think sometimes that there is a danger in forgetting that there are things you just can't legislate for in football.  So often, we criticize every little detail about the team when we don't get the result we want.  For the most part, I don't have a problem with that because that's what forums like this one are for and because there's always something that could have been better.  Sometimes, though, I think it's important to remember that the breaks will not always go our way despite all of our best efforts and that we can play near the very peak of our capabilities and still lose.

So, for me, if the lads work very hard this year and remain in the title hunt all season, I'll be very happy--whatever the outcome in May.  I hope that outcome will be Stevie lifting the league trophy but my gut won't let me pin too much expectation on that hope just yet because it's a long, long season and anything can happen.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:24 pm

s@int wrote:I am a little disappointed that most people seem to be dismissive of our chances this season. I just hope our players and manager have a little more faith.

I'm trying very hard to keep my feet on the floor. It's hard not to be optimistic about our chances, but I don't want to set myself up for a fall. I find myself over optimistic every summer, but then I'm brought crashing down by the end of August each year.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:06 pm

being more pessimistic because i was so optimistic last season.

the circle of life
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Title-chaser » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:17 pm

mmmmm.......stevie lifting the prem trophy......

anyone else got a hard on? :buttrock
At the end of a storm ...... is a golden sky.

YNWA
Title-chaser

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:59 pm

I think we SHOULD and will get in the top three to be considered not a dissapointing season. I can see us pushing Man utd and Chelsea much harder this year because of the talent weve brought in. We are usually very solid at the back so i think Rafa has done the right thing by bringing in Torres, Babel and Benayoun players who can attack well. Man u have strenghtened yes but in places where the was no need as Ronaldo and Giggs were great last year and i think Nani will be a waste of money. Chelsea havent looked to lively but the capture of Florence Malouda was a wise move as i rate him very high

I can see this Premiership being the closest ever between the top 3 maybe coming down to the last game. Hopefully with us leading the pack

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Soul » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:10 am

I think we can muscle our way into the Man U/Chelsea sausagefest, and I think a lot of our fans are going to be pleasantly surprised with our performances this season.

Think about it. Rafa's been rebuilding a team, and whenever a manager does this, they start from the back. We've got one of the meanest defences in the Prem now, and amazing defensive midfielders in Mascherano, Alonso and Sissoko. Rafa seems to be pretty happy with this arrangement, and looks like he's switching his full attention to the attack in a manner we've not seen in previous seasons. Combined with the sudden influx of Yankee cash, and the arrival of some exciting attack-minded players that exist in a price bracket that was previously inaccessible to us, and I think you're going to see an attacking revolution on the pitch.

Top three will be Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea, top spot could be anyone's although I believe that if we gain the top two, it'll be Chelsea who make way. Fourth is a toss-up between Arsenal and Spurs.
Red Soul

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:33 am

does anyone share my thought that manure would be complacent this year? add to the fact there are new players thus would affect the team i hope. i reckon chelsea will win the EPL. arsenal will have a good cup run. liverpool will finish 2nd behind chelsea. manure will be 3rd but not that far away from liverpool. 4th place is a tough one. bolton dont have big sam anymore. they have a smaller one. :D  newcastle need more time. villa might disappoint. i think it shall be either spurs or arsenal.
maypaxvobiscum

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion