Book recommendations - A list of 'must read' books

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby babu » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:21 am

Have you come across a book that you reckon everyone on the planet should read? Not one you just enjoyed, but one you think would be of interest or would help just about everyone?

Obviously on a LFC forum, a good autobiography would be of interest to everyone. But what else?

Post you book reccomendations in here.

Ok here's one:

In the Messi thread, The Manhattan Project listed a few people you could consider guinuises. That got me thinking about a book i read. I love all science, i work in the field of technology and still keep up to date with journals mainly in bio-chemistry. But i must say when i read Bill Bryson's book titled A Short History of Nearly Everything it blew me away. (note: its not a text book and does contain some factual inaccuracies)

Its not so much the knowledge in the book, but the way he explains it. I remmeber really struggling to understand certain concepts when i was at school and wishing the teacher would say he/she didn't know the answer, when they didn't. Especially entertaining is his description of the personal lives of some of science's greatest heroes, all to be taken with a pinch of salt, but funny nonetheless.

I would reccomend this book to anyone over 12 years and under 80.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:28 am

tis a good read that Bab. Ive got it in PB and audiobook and the thing never fails to stir up all kinds of questions and revelations.

Personally i like Pratchett and Asimov. Oh and Kes  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Effes » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:41 am

If anyone is a single dad I highly recommend:

The Love Secrets of Don Juan by Tim Lott.

It's brilliant, and very funny.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:48 am

red37 wrote:tis a good read that Bab. Ive got it in PB and audiobook and the thing never fails to stir up all kinds of questions and revelations.

Personally i like Pratchett and Asimov. Oh and Kes  :D

Pratchet is brilliant. his analogies are the greatest. And i am sure Lando employs the same humour, only with much more colourful language. Unfortunatly he is getting a bit formulaic, and seems to just churn books out now ala wilbur wilde.

I have never liked Asimov. The guy has a real hard-on for robots and his writing is unessecarily difficult to read. Much prefer Arthur C. Clarke for science fiction.

of course if you are interested in a combination of Pratchet & Asimov then you can't go past Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. funny as fook.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:52 am

of course there are offshoots and variants of the theme. Clarke is cool as well. Adams ditto.

his writing is unessecarily difficult to read

now where have i heard that before    :glare:   :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby babu » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:00 am

red37 wrote:
his writing is unessecarily difficult to read

now where have i heard that before    :glare:   :D

don't tell me i've used that line on you? damnit i gonna have to come up with a new line.   :D

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:49 am

babu wrote:Have you come across a book that you reckon everyone on the planet should read? Not one you just enjoyed, but one you think would be of interest or would help just about everyone?

Obviously on a LFC forum, a good autobiography would be of interest to everyone. But what else?

Post you book reccomendations in here.

Ok here's one:

In the Messi thread, The Manhattan Project listed a few people you could consider guinuises. That got me thinking about a book i read. I love all science, i work in the field of technology and still keep up to date with journals mainly in bio-chemistry. But i must say when i read Bill Bryson's book titled A Short History of Nearly Everything it blew me away. (note: its not a text book and does contain some factual inaccuracies)

Its not so much the knowledge in the book, but the way he explains it. I remmeber really struggling to understand certain concepts when i was at school and wishing the teacher would say he/she didn't know the answer, when they didn't. Especially entertaining is his description of the personal lives of some of science's greatest heroes, all to be taken with a pinch of salt, but funny nonetheless.

I would reccomend this book to anyone over 12 years and under 80.

What is it about?

I usually read fictional books, for example i recently read Dan Brown's Deception Point which was a very good read.

I also read 1984, The Things They Carried ( a must read book) and others i forgot, oh yeh Nagib Mahfouz's book called Midaq Alley, well i didn't like it so much.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:16 am

Metal Head,

A Short History of Nearly Everything, is an amusing look through the major scientific breakthroughs (and collosul failures) of the last couple hundred years. He explains things in a fun and easy to understand way.

An excellent read.

Dan Brown is ok, good reading for travelling waiting in transit lounges etc.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:10 pm

red, have u ever read any beil gaimon? if u liked pratchett youd love neverwhere, and stardust, another of his, has just been made into a hollywood film

must reads have to include the alchemist.

personally id say you should read the skeleton man by michael marshall. Crime horror written by a guy who used to write sci fi (red youd love these: only forward, spares, one of us) and has had every book written brought by dream works.

For stephen king lovers the cell is a welcome return to his best (currently being made by eli roth of hostel fame) but check out his early works as richard bachman (the running man, 100000 times better than the arnie film, and the long walk, possibly my fave book ever)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:15 pm

As an American Male College student, it is illegal for me to read (including my textbooks:D )
JoeTerp

Postby babu » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:18 pm

dawson99 wrote:check out his early works as richard bachman (the running man, 100000 times better than the arnie film, and the long walk, possibly my fave book ever)

Wow i forgot about those. The Long Walk has got to be the most horrifying book i have ever read.

And i agree the Running Man the book was much better and more exciting.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:20 pm

Finally, someone else who has read the long walk. must have read that 20 times. Raymand Garraty and McVries, actually, people in the book could easily be classed as people on this forum. (yes, im a book nerd)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:24 pm

dawson99 wrote:Finally, someone else who has read the long walk. must have read that 20 times. Raymand Garraty and McVries, actually, people in the book could easily be classed as people on this forum. (yes, im a book nerd)

to be honest Dawson i read them all about 10 years ago. (and only once).

I can't believe you read it that often. I just remember saying to myself, put this damn book down, you are going insane.

I am going to bookshop tomorrow and getting it.  :)

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grayghost » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:37 pm

Has any one read Magican by Raymond E feist the best book ever written must of read it 10 times in 4 years since i have been reading i  recomend it if you are a scince fiction fantsy lover
grayghost

Postby babu » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:42 pm

grayghost wrote:Has any one read Magican by Raymond E feist the best book ever written must of read it 10 times in 4 years since i have been reading i  recomend it if you are a scince fiction fantsy lover

Yup good book. The first orginal fantasy written since Tolkien.

Feist has gone down hill as well IMO. The riftwar trilogy and the Kelawan (sp?) written with Marget Weis (i think) were the best.

Incidently i actually met him once, in Brisbane. Got my copy of Magician signed. Felt like a real geek then.  :D
Last edited by babu on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum