Greatest lfc game ever? - What's the best game you've seen?

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ynwa » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:51 pm

AS Roma 0-2 Liverpool 2001/02 Champions League
best game i have seen and the return of gh
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Supermarius » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:15 am

For me Its the 3-3 draw with Man utd...there was such an atmosphere and we even gave them 3 goal start ..wat more needs to be said. Razor Ruddock polaxing Keane and torturing Cantona who were like mice in his pesence lol And i Remember Chris Sutton predicting United to win that game by 3 clear goals....
Q: You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake, and a Manchester United Fan. You have a gun with two bullets. What should you do?

A: Shoot the United Fan. Twice.
Supermarius

Postby Dalglish » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:19 am

The greatest Game i've ever been at personally has to be the 2001 UEFA Cup Final against Alaves. gretaest cup game i ever saw was the 2-1 agaisnt Arsenal 4 days earlier and the best domestic game was the 4-3 against newcastle in 96 although the 5-0 hammering of forest was special too. :p  i'm going to have to go and lie down now !!!!!!!!! :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redstorm » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:35 am

My favourite would be the 4-3 win over newcastle. We kept our faith and they had to keep their faces.. :laugh:
the best is yet to come..
redstorm

Postby azriahmad » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:36 am

My favourite is the 1986 FA Cup final against Everton. Liverpool were all over the place after Gary Lineker scored for Everton to take the lead in the first half but in the second half Liverpool turned the game around to score 3 goals and win the double. Although the first half game was poor, the players managed to turn the tide without making any substitutions (if my memory serves me correctly).
It is all that much sweeter as we beat Everton to the league title and also to the FA Cup.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:14 am

Can't believe that last quote off roberts, "worth stickin with....". Some ppl need a reality check. Even we cant win everythin all the time, and we had a bloody good run. Best games for me were the ones against Man.U, already mentioned, at 3-3, and the game against Newcs that Collymore scored the winner. The commentary still gets played from that one regular......."Collymore scores in stoppage time....." and brings the hairs up on my neck whenever I hear it.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:59 pm

My recolletion of the greatest game in living memory ...

Let me take you back, two years, ten months and 17 days ago. The Westfalenstadion in the busy city of Dortmund Germany. A day every Liverpool supporter of the current generation will remember with warm memories.

The pre match atmosphere in the small square in the middle of a busy Dortmund shopping area was electric. Fresh from the red hot day at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff when Michael Owen single handidly (well Berger deserves a mention for the pass, and that save from Henchoz was world class) won the FA Cup against a Gunners side who looked sure to steam roller the reds at half time.

It seemed as though the whole of Anfield Stadium had poured into the small opening behind the shops where the stage was set up. Gary McAllister's father lead the singing on stage, assisted by Cast. Eric Meijer led the singing (and the drinking) in the crowd, and games of keepy up with inflatable beach balls broke out all over the thousands strong crowd.

Then it was all on the underground system, packed in like sardines, but still singing loudly. All off and then we tried to find the beer tents outside the ground. Then the Liverpool team bus pulled up towards the ground. How the driver on the bus got a job is anyones guess, it took the guy fifty plus attempts to get thru the gates, and even then he took the post with him.

As we filed into the ground, we looked round for the alaves supporters, where where they? It was like a home game, the travelling Kop filling all four sides of the ground apart from half of one end behind the goal.

"The good thing about this team..." Mr Houllier lamented following what many beleive was the greatest European tie ever played out "...is that you never feel there is a split or lack of togetherness when something goes wrong"

How right those words were. As the match kicked off, the noise was deafining. Not since the Glory days of yesteryear had the players, people and supporters of Liverpool felt the great sense of Spirit and togetherness that had come flooding back on that magical night in Germany.

In little under five minutes, the press men who had talked of boring Liverpool and dull scoreless draws were made to eat their words. A towering header from the majestic Babbel had put the reds into the lead, and the Westfalenstadion went crazy. Of the reported sixty five thousand attendees, around fifty thousand must surely have been wearing the mighty Liver bird upon their chests.

After just under quarter of an hour, and following a number of decent chances Gerrard superbly picked up Owens pass (yes pass) and drilled the ball low into the corner to Herrera's left. The reds looked rampant, but in all honesty it was alaves who made us look good. Maybe the occasion of the clubs first major final was getting to the players.

Reds could have been forgiven for thinking this was going to be a breeze. This thought was highlighted when Alaves decided to make a rather early looking change. Ivan Alonso replaced a dejected looking Eggen, and it proved to be a master stroke from the Alaves management. Alaves looked like a totally different outfit and it took the substitute little more than five minutes to score, GAME ON.

As half time creeped up, Owen was fouled in the area, and to the joy of every red the referee, Mr Veissiere awarded a penalty. Gary " cool as a cucumber" McAllister steped up and slotted the spot kick with the usual aplomb. Three one up at half time, reds fans where well happy, and many beleived the defensive tendencies would kick in and see Liverpool through to the final whistle.

WRONG. As was often the case, the Liverpool players seemed to be half asleep at the start of the second half, and the impressive Javi Moreno scored twice early on to level the game, and Liverpool looked rattled. chances for both sides followed, before Mr Houllier replaced Heskey with Robbie Fowler with little more than fifteen minutes left on the clock. Who else but Roberto Fowleros popped up soon after with a typically instinctive half volley to put the reds ahead once more.

Surely the drama was over now. WRONG who else but the ex-Man United midfielder and son of Dutch legend Johan Cruyff, Jordi slotted a good header from inside the penalty area, forcing extra time.

Not only extra time, but Golden Goal. The nerves were unreal. We only had to score to win, but if we were to concede, the treble dream was over. There were chances for both sides, and Sander Westerveld made a great save to keep us in the game. Every one was looking around the pitch for possible penalty takers. Carragher was high on the list after his top corner one against crying Birmingham in the Millenium Stadium win in March.

A free kick was awarded near the corner of the penalty area. McAllister stepped up to take it and Almost everyone piled into the box. After the trademark dummy, McAllister powered a dangerous free kick into the danger zone.

Was it just me or did it all happen in slow motion? The unfortunate Geli got the final touch, but no body seemed to care. The stadium went totally beserk. Men hugged men, jumped around and some even kissed one another. John Aldridge who must have been in the commentary position at the opposite end from the goal was mobbed as he jumped around and cheered with the fans.

What a year, what a night and what an horrendous 18 hour journey home on the Barnes coach. It was worth it though.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:53 pm

cheesecakery wrote:that 0-0 game against bolton a few seasons ago has got to be the greatest game ever

Cheesy lad, glad to hear you respect the majesty of bolton - after all they've beaten your shower of s##t at the Theatre of Queens not so long ago...
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:12 am

Leon Mc0708....... Fabulous post man , I've got goosebumps !!!!!!! I was there and it ranks as the greatest game i ever personally wtnesssed. We were sitting in front of some "Old Boys" from Liverpool. Thye'd seen it all , Rome 77 and 84, Paris 81 , St Ettiene (Lucky Sods ! LOL They had an average age of about 101 and they just sat there cool as you like drinking brandy from their hip flasks and singing this weird song "I had a dream , it was 2-0 ", but later changed it each time the score changed...!!!!!!!! Absolute  Quality :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:02 am

Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle in the 95/96 season, ive never cheared so much in my life when collymoore scored that injury time winner
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrLiverpool » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:25 am

It was in the Champion League agains Basel I think we needed to win but drew 3-3 the second half was pure excitment didnt sit down at all.
Not really the greatest but all the other games have been mentioned.
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:33 am

Im surprised no MAn Ure victories have appeared guys, but thats obvioulsy cus your being honest instead of Patriotic.

Good work guys, I have printed the entire thread, and I will read it next time we get beat.

Happy days are here again. :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bakes40 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:01 pm

f.a cup final v arsenal. what l.f.c fan did not cry. great stuff
bakes40

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:58 am

Arsenal victory over Leeds last night.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:04 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Arsenal victory over Leeds last night.

What a game! Like lambs to the slaughter  :)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games