The game - Benitez's baptism

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:16 am

I was genuinely impressed with Liverpool’s first half display against Spurs  we passed the ball quickly and our passing was crisp  Josemi was impressive  and used the ball effectively and Hyppia made some important interceptions .
Gerrard was wasteful with some possession and that’s not something you would normally associate  with him ,Didi also struggled to adapt to the incisive passing and I felt Kewell took up good positions but failed to provide the crosses needed for Cisse
Our most  imposing  player was  Cisse  he led the line intelligently and looks to  have explosive pace and his goal was a poachers strike clinically executed .
Baros just simply tried to hard his game is still raw but he will link up well with Cisse the signs were there to see.
  So I wasn’t to disheartened by  the display  in the first half .

Second half  we simply stopped pressing  and relinquished possession to frequently  but  Spurs possess a striker of genuine quality in Defoe and in defence Naybet was outstanding  and showed his International pedigree with timely interceptions to deny  us another goal

Benitez will see this game as an introduction to the pace of the English game and in time he will adapt especially when our subs bench contains players more effective and fluent with the ball than Biscan ?
Im sorry but I fail to see any  genuine footballing prowess in this player and I fail to see it ever being instilled in his game.
So in conclusion the first half gave me a genuine belief that this season under Benitez will be better than last .   How much better remains to be seen if the Second half  showing  which was if anything   decidedly lacklustre continues to hinder our game .
As for Michael Owen yes he was missed and I am more than sure Benitez is aware  that a striker of proven ability is needed  untill Baros and Pongolle evolve into the strikers we know they can be .
???  ???   :D
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:33 am

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I was genuinely impressed with Liverpool's first half display against Spurs  we passed the ball quickly and our passing was crisp  Josemi was impressive  and used the ball effectively and Hyppia made some important interceptions .
Gerrard was wasteful with some possession and that's not something you would normally associate  with him ,Didi also struggled to adapt to the incisive passing and I felt Kewell took up good positions but failed to provide the crosses needed for Cisse
Our most  imposing  player was  Cisse  he led the line intelligently and looks to  have explosive pace and his goal was a poachers strike clinically executed .
Baros just simply tried to hard his game is still raw but he will link up well with Cisse the signs were there to see.
  So I wasn't to disheartened by  the display  in the first half .

Second half  we simply stopped pressing  and relinquished possession to frequently  but  Spurs possess a striker of genuine quality in Defoe and in defence Naybet was outstanding  and showed his International pedigree with timely interceptions to deny  us another goal

Benitez will see this game as an introduction to the pace of the English game and in time he will adapt especially when our subs bench contains players more effective and fluent with the ball than Biscan ?
Im sorry but I fail to see any  genuine footballing prowess in this player and I fail to see it ever being instilled in his game.
So in conclusion the first half gave me a genuine belief that this season under Benitez will be better than last .   How much better remains to be seen if the Second half  showing  which was if anything   decidedly lacklustre continues to hinder our game .
As for Michael Owen yes he was missed and I am more than sure Benitez is aware  that a striker of proven ability is needed  untill Baros and Pongolle evolve into the strikers we know they can be .
???  ???   :D

Great post mate. We had a chance to win the game however things didn't go our way. There should had been a penalty kick. It would had been good if Owen was there because
one touch is one goal when Owen plays. Hopefully Baros will improve and Pangolle, eh needs to be replaced by somebody who is worth being called a "striker".
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:04 am

Cheers A.B. :D :D Ive read some of the more cynical and negative posts regarding Liverpool's display so I thought id offer one of my own ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - Games