Inept defending - We need a centre back now

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:31 pm

having watched the leeds game it just reaffirms to me that we desperately need a new centre back. hyypia is still a class act but lacks pace. henchoz seems to be deteriorating. we need a young british centre half with plenty of pace. someone like dawson of forest or gabbidon of cardiff. going forward we played really well i thought and should have won the game. stevie g world-class once again. it's just fortunate that newcastle didn't win otherwise they'd be getting away from us.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:54 pm

I would replace both centre halves at this stage.

Also, Dawson and Gabbidon won't improve us. We need to spend £20-25million on two centre halves to make us competitive and unfortunately we simply don't have that kind of cash available.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:01 pm

or just bring back babbel.....................
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:12 pm

StMichael you said the magic word PACE that's the key to winning the premiership and we have very little of that particular comodity.  But don't be too disheartened neither has Newcastle, Chelsea or any of the other pretenders to the top two teams.  Arsenal scored two goals on Saturday by playing at such blistering pace linesmen could'nt keep up.  Last week RVN scored a clear offside goal when Man U turned up the PACE against Man City.  We have players equal in skill to them as does Chelsea, difference is they do it all faster.  Want the Premiership get players of equal ability but 10% faster.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby shilton_red » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:56 pm

Two much washing of dirty washing in public has effected the confidence of the club and players . To much slagging from past players in public . Its bound to effect players confidence to be slagged week in week out by your own fans .Liverpool was always well known for keeping its problems private within house this is now not the case and it has effected the club .To an extent Man Utd dont let things out , and are not critical  of  players or staff like some of us have been . Look how theyve supported Rio Ferdinand and Ferguson we know they have been silly but they wont admit it ever .They wont knock Fergie how some of us will knock Houllier . There are lessons to be learned here .
"WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH A STORM , HOLD YOUR HEAD UP
HIGH AND DONT BE AFRAID OF THE DARK ".
shilton_red

Postby big al » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:00 pm

Shilton_red i beg to differ some ManU fan was on sky last week saying Fergie had lost the plot, at least theres some substance to are complaints!
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Thor Viking » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:48 pm

Get Ayala from Valencia - NOW ! Then you won`t have to meet him if you`re playing Valencia for the UEFA cup.Also we have som decent young players in Norway that are quite unexpensive ! You have already had a man looking at young players here - I don`t remember his name though !
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bpm1976 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:25 pm

I personally think our 2 centre backs a majority of the time defend very well, except when played at right back.  The link up play from Smith and Viduka yesterday was class, how I would like them both here! Hey, now theres one for ya GH!  Although we need a centre back more for competition as they are both automatic choices when fit, who is really pushing them? Traore? Biscan? never will make the grade. 
Ayala would be an ideal signing, but I think if he was coming to England it would be to 1 of the big 3 and not us, Mexes or Hofland may be more realistic.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

bpm1976

Postby shilton_red » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:37 pm

We cant change things now , there is no transfer window . We must manage with what weve got but its the same for all.One or two Utd fans may be critical of Fergie but not many , where as many Liverpool fans have chosen to chastise Houllier in public .
shilton_red

Postby JBG » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:46 am

Our centre backs are very good defenders but there is simply no pace there.

As for Babbel have you not seen Blackburn play lately? Their defence is now one of the worst in the Premiership and Babbel is as guilty as anyone in the Blackburn back four.

His illness robbed him of his pace and sharpness, its as simple as that.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby shilton_red » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:59 am

We sold a tall quick lad to Swindon whos now doing very well down there . Name of Andy Nicholas . Hes tall and gangly but hes good on the ball and is very quick . They are mad on him down in Wiltshire .
shilton_red

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:11 pm

For the most part our defence is sound.  Pace, while important, isn't the only thing a player needs beside skill.  I've seen slow players beat faster, more skillful players by positioning themselves appropriately.  Hyperia gave away the goal Viduka scored by gently heading the ball to Alan Smith's chest, he then lobbbed it over the top to big 'dukes (as he's called in Australia) who scored an easy goal.  That whole passage could have been avoided if Hyperia and his fellow defenders had positioned themselves better.

But hey pace is really important too!
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby mrcool2003 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:23 pm

houllier gets slagged off cause he shouldn't be liverpool manager, hes been in the job 5 years, no nearer to winnign the league

HOUllier p#ss off and take your stupid excuses with you you french tw#t!
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shilton_red » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:30 pm

If he wins the eufa cup and 4th place hes done ok . Next season will be the test . Whether he can win his targets is yet to be seen mind . If he gets 4th id  keep him on . We must get rid of the dead wood in the squad .
shilton_red

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:16 pm

The issue of pace at the back has been there for a long time. When we played deep it wasn't exposed as much so no one pointed it out but now we hold a higher line everone is banging on about it. I don't think we need to get rid of Hyypia aswell, for the time been his experience and ball playing ability can be useful alongside a quicker less experienced defender.

I was gutted that we lost out on Boumsong, he and Hyypia would have been a great partnership. I can't see a relastic target, one player that I have mentioned is Antony Gardner of Tottenham.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion