The new Club World Cup

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Liverpool invited to be part of new £1.5bn FIFA Club World Cup

16 May 2018
Liverpool are one of the clubs being invited to a new 24-team Club World Cup that FIFA want to hold every four years, starting in 2021.

The new competition would see 12 European clubs – Liverpool, Man United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Inter Milan and Juventus, plus three more – invited to compete and share a total of £1.5 billion, with the winners taking home £100 million.

The news comes via a report in the Times, which details how the competition would replace the current annual ‘Club World Cup’ and also see the Confederations Cup being scrapped.

It’s claimed that FIFA president Gianni Infantino is aiming to secure an agreement for the new competition before this summer’s World Cup begins next month.

It’s reported that UEFA and the Premier League are unhappy with the proposal and will oppose the new competition.

The other three clubs from Europe who are in the running to be included are Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, PSG, Porto, Benfica, and Borussia Dortmund.

The other 12 teams would be from outside of Europe, with at least four South American sides and a selection from Africa, Asia, North America and Oceania.

The first host country could be China – taking place in June 2021 – with the format seeing eight groups of three followed by quarter-finals, semi-finals and final.

The current FIFA Club World Cup is the only trophy in Liverpool’s history they haven’t won; losing in the final in 2005.

Such a competition could be a game changer for top-level club football in Europe.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm

It is all going to be about money i guess also if it is during the pre-season period i can't see teams taking it seriously.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 pm

But it won't be in pre-season. It would be slap back right in the middle of the players summer break if it's in June. Would prefer it to be at the end of July to replace pre-season friendlies.
Eagle

Postby Klopptomaniac » Wed May 16, 2018 9:33 pm

No no no no. It's the start of a wider European league. Hope everyone says no but ultimately the clubs will want the money.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 pm

Nah, don't like the sound of it, as others have mentioned it sounds like a precursor to some sort of pan-national super league. The people at the top of the sport just care about one thing i.e how to wring as much cash out of the game as possible.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 am

Against. We'd need a 30 man squad to survive, its a competition aimed at the richest clubs only and it will help to destroy domestic leagues. Of course if it goes ahead we have no choice as you can't have United or Chelsea accessing so much additional income allowing them to buy in even more of the world's best players, however the whole project needs rejecting. Don't like it.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri May 18, 2018 8:53 am

Do we actually need this on top of the gruelling Champions league and domestic fixtures!? I don't really see the point. Most teams from Europe countries, so it's the Champions league all over again, and in the June summer heat also, when our players are supposed to be resting for a few weeks.

Piontless, and I don't see LFC participating tbh.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri May 18, 2018 9:01 am

Winner gets 100 million
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 18, 2018 11:38 am

kazza » Fri May 18, 2018 8:01 am wrote:Winner gets 100 million

Money isn't everything mate, the game itself needs to be considered not just the bank balances of owners/players/officials etc.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri May 18, 2018 2:12 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 18, 2018 10:38 am wrote:
kazza » Fri May 18, 2018 8:01 am wrote:Winner gets 100 million

Money isn't everything mate, the game itself needs to be considered not just the bank balances of owners/players/officials etc.

I'm not saying we should do it, I'm just suggesting why we will do it.

I do think however that if this is the future, we don't want to be left behind. Would I like to watch Liverpool more? I'd say yes I would want to watch them play more games. The fact that Uefa will have 50% of the teams probably means they will work it in such a way that it will have as little impact to European football as possible.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri May 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Reg » Thu May 17, 2018 1:08 am wrote:Against. We'd need a 30 man squad to survive, its a competition aimed at the richest clubs only and it will help to destroy domestic leagues. Of course if it goes ahead we have no choice as you can't have United or Chelsea accessing so much additional income allowing them to buy in even more of the world's best players, however the whole project needs rejecting. Don't like it.

Totally agree. The way they are fixing which clubs to be included, it is not based on merit. But I think this kind of thing, the clubs are powerless. You cannot bite the hand that feeds you. It has to be the fans that need to rise up and protest.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun May 20, 2018 11:52 pm

If it is those kind of figures then we will definitely want to be involved.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:50 am

Won’t happen, but I’d love to see reduced champions league , so leagues finished earlier, then the champions progress to next stage until there’s a winner.

Only way to have a true European champion.

Sport over money !
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion