Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:00 am

Roger Red Hat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:47 am wrote:Andy Carroll has apologised for walking straight down the tunnel on Sunday. He was aiming for the bench.

:laugh:

:D
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:00 am

Roger Red Hat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:47 am wrote:Andy Carroll has apologised for walking straight down the tunnel on Sunday. He was aiming for the bench.

maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:04 am

Andy Carroll – Four key points in support of Liverpool’s number 9
Published on April 5th, 2012
Written by: Damian Toner

A lack of confidence will prevent a person taking risks and accepting challenges. Being under confident can instill a fear into someone to prevent them from going outside their comfort zone. They develop a fear of failure, will doubt themselves and their talent and ultimately will not suceed.

Mark Twain once said “To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.” this is a quote which I feel if Andy Carroll takes to heart will make him a more complete and better all round player it could even make him a player worth £35 million pounds… maybe. There is no doubting that Andy has quality however only 8 goals from 48 appearences this season doesn’t suggest this.

Andy Carroll the 23 year old, 6’ 3” man mountain from Gateshead hasnt had the best of starts to life as a Liverpool player, but one major factor which Andy has is that time is on his side, he is young and has bags of talent at his diposal. All he needs is to get back his self confidence and he could be a Kop favourite.

The big problem with Andy is his self confidence, his team mates and coaches must have confidence in him but the most confidence must come from the supporters. In recent matches I have noticed a prevailing trend that it only takes one small mistake from Andy, a wide, a misplaced pass or a bad first touch for the support to start getting on his back, this to me is totally the wrong approach, for Andy to start firing he must feel the full support and encouragement from the fans.

Cast your mind back to our former number 9 when the spaniard was banging in the goals they were adjulated by the Liverpool fans even when he made mistakes the the fans would encourage with phrases like… “hard luck”, “head up Nando”, “keep it going” etc but remember towards the end of his days at Liverpool things were not going so well.. no one complained hes was encouraged and was willed on to play well, something which he must have felt protruding from the supporters. A similar approach to Andy Carrolls performances should be adopted. There are several reasons why Andy should be encouraged throughout each game.

Reason 1. He actually wants to be here.

In contrast to the afore mentioned Spaniard who sulked his way through his final season at Anfield, Andy wants to play for us and puts himself about for the team and not for himself. This is something that must be admired, as we all know that no one is bigger than the club and the fact that Andy is here and working hard everyday should earn the respect of the supporters.

Reason 2. He has the talent

Last Season he scored 13 Goals in 23 Games for both Newcastle and Liverpool (11 Goals for Newcastle 2 goals for Liverpool) This is a great return from a 22 year old striker in the top flight of English football who also missed a large part of the season when he first arrived at Liverpool due to injury. Also winning England caps and scoring at Internatioanl level proves that Andy is a top quailty player.

Reason 3. His Age

People seem to forget that Andy is still only 23. At this age  doubts could start to creep in especially if every mistake however big or small he makes is highligted and given as a reason why he is “not a liverpool player” which is a phrase I have heard from many Liverpool fans bemoaning the fact that in their opinion he is not of a standard befitting of the clubs history. This is also a phrase I heard used time after time to describe a certain Lucas Leiva who went on to be one of the best defensive midfielders in the English Premier League.

Reason 4. His price tag

The circumstances surrounding the £35 million pound acquisition of Andy Carroll were extraordinary, nevertheless £35 million pounds was spend on the best English prospect available. A statment of intend from a club ready to bring success back to the Anfield trophy room. The fact that someone would spend this type of money on you should instill you with confidence… right?… wrong… it has the opposite effect. When the dust settles on such a big move that confidence subsides and is replaced by pressure, a pressure that would be extremely hard to deal with for such a young man with the media scrutinising his movement, goal scoring, his attitude… everything down to even his body language. What this man needs is to feel wanted by the club and its supporters, he needs to feel that the fans that watch him every week dont care how much the club paid for him but only care that he is trying hard for the club, wants to be there, and want to see him doing well week in week out. If this happens in time things will click into place and the goals and performances will come.

To conclude, Liverpool as a club with all its history and success prides itself on its great support so why do they not prove this reputation where Andy Carroll is concerned. Get behind him cheer him on the good days but more importantly on the bad. I have no doubt through fans support alone Andy could be an Anfield great, he has all the attributes and tools to succeed.. he just needs the confidence of the club, players and most importantly the Liverpool fans. Through our support Andy can succeed in his Liverpool career, he can gain the correct amount ignorance and confidence and fulfill the promise of his early potential.
Benny The Noon

Postby Eagle » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:27 am

That is one of the weakest articles I have seen in a long time. Not even one of his points carries any weight. By all mean defend Carroll but at least put something worthwhile down. Epic fail by Damian Toner, whoever he is.
Eagle

Postby RedAnt » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:57 am

It's a good article and supports the Liverpool philosophy in my opinion.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:28 pm

That article is spot on and points exactly to why Carroll has little if any chance of succeeding here
People like Kerry going on and on and on and on of how sh'it he is starts to resonate in peoples brains. On a bigger scale we have the cu'nty media who have questioned him all along. This gets people talking and eventually agreeing "coz its in the paper" That sets off a chain reaction whereby he is struggling more and more with less and less support from the fans. We are at that point right now.
Before anyone starts telling me Im defending the indefencible, I believe we havent seen the best of Carroll by a long way. His performances have been a let down overall and his attitude needs to change. But its not all his fault. He has been used wrongly at times by KK and supporters havent given him enough encouragement on occassions. His price tag was the hardest thing for him to overcome and has been a burden round his neck from day one with virtually everyone commenting on it.
Lets get behind the lad and show him what kind of fans we are.
COYRM
Thommo's perm

Postby maguskwt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:01 am

I can't take an article seriously that starts with " There is no doubting Andy has quality..."  :laugh:

Why isn't there any doubting? If there is no doubt, then why is he even defending Andy?  :laugh:

It's as if the writer wants to wave a magic wand and brainwash people into thinking " Hey look Andy has quality... this is all just a confidence issue"  :laugh:

Yes Andy has quality... quality to play for a midtable team... not quality to play for Liverpool...

It's all fine and dandy saying "give him time... he's only 23"... but one has to note that with his current goal contribution and him continuing to be our main striker we're not gonna get into top 4 anytime soon... now someone needs to do something about that...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:31 am

Benny - you are becoming as tedious as D_C/Kerry.

Posting a copy of an absurdly inaccurate article that nearly goes as far as to say that Carroll could be the next Messi with the right balance of ignorance and confidence just to support your never ending diatribe of support for possibly Liverpool's biggest ever mistake in the transfer market is signs of desperation! I've tried to support the lad but he makes it very difficult. The dive against Newcastle was quite simply embarrassing.

In fairness to the article I think Carroll's level of ignorance is something and possibly the only thing he hasn't got to work on.

We have now won two games in the last twelve Premiership games and Carroll has featured very heavily in nearly all of them.Carroll is as much a part of the problem as the rest of the team.

You absolutely castigated Hodgson along with several other so-called fans and were never prepared to give him a chance.He is now a handful of points behind Liverpool with a team that cost nothing! If somebody had published a similar article praising Hodgson would it have changed your opinion?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:27 am

devaney » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:31 am wrote:Benny - you are becoming as tedious as D_C/Kerry.

Posting a copy of an absurdly inaccurate article that nearly goes as far as to say that Carroll could be the next Messi with the right balance of ignorance and confidence just to support your never ending diatribe of support for possibly Liverpool's biggest ever mistake in the transfer market is signs of desperation! I've tried to support the lad but he makes it very difficult. The dive against Newcastle was quite simply embarrassing.

In fairness to the article I think Carroll's level of ignorance is something and possibly the only thing he hasn't got to work on.

We have now won two games in the last twelve Premiership games and Carroll has featured very heavily in nearly all of them.Carroll is as much a part of the problem as the rest of the team.

You absolutely castigated Hodgson along with several other so-called fans and were never prepared to give him a chance.He is now a handful of points behind Liverpool with a team that cost nothing! If somebody had published a similar article praising Hodgson would it have changed your opinion?

I never thought the article was really about Andy. For me it's more about the support (or lack of) that we as a club are famous for. You'll never walk alone and all that ya know? We're meant to be the best supporters in the world, and yet 50% of us simply aren't supporting. I can respect those that don't support us and I respect those that do. But those who are in between, picking out bits and pieces to support whilst isolating other parts and saying "I don't support that", well, that's nothing more than fair weather support really and that's what Chelski are famous for, not us. Andy needs support as does the team. He's F'd up several times this season, but he's not the only one. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it. These noobs coming along and dissing Kenny have no idea. What gives them the right to speak their expertise on something they know nothing of, whilst claiming the very experienced player and manager Kenny Dalglish has no idea? I'm 35 and supported Liverpool since the day I was born. I've grown up using Liverpools philosophies as a guideline to my own life. And of course there's supporters a lot older than me. I can understand why people get p*ssed off when the new-age fans come along who've probably never even been to a match before and have no idea what it means to support our great club and manager and then begin to literally dismantle our foundations and philosophies, using opinions spoon-fed to them by a gloating media as their tool of choice.
Last edited by RedAnt on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedAnt

Postby Kukilon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:04 pm

1. It doesn't look like he wants to be here. He sulks around more than most players. First sign of a player sulking is not taking runs.

2. I have not seen one ounce of quality so far. The worst footballing brain I have seen in my life. His movement belongs in the sunday leagues. He has physical advantages and shoots as a horse kicks that is as far as I will go. Other players that have played much better than him have never gotten this sort of support. Jovanovic for example was a failed signing and accomplished about as much as Andy and people couldn't stand him and he hardly got the chances Andy is getting. Don't get me wrong Jovanovic didn't fit here. Same crappy movement, ball control and overal impact. People have been talking about getting rid of Kuyt from the start of his career with us. Lucas got on the bitter end of the ridiculing stick during games.

3. At the age of 23 he should be much more accomplished. If you haven't learned the basics by then you are way behind in development. Play him in the reserves until he warrants a start.

4. True and the blame for the transfer price should be with the club.

I agree with article that as far as support when it comes to the games. No player should ever be ridiculed while playing a game for us. I have not heard fans doing this as far as I'm concerned.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Kukilon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 am wrote:
I agree with article that as far as support when it comes to the games. No player should ever be ridiculed while playing a game for us. I have not heard fans doing this as far as I'm concerned.

To support him on the pitch and then ridicule him everywhere else would be nothing short of fickle hypocrasy which is what a lot of "supporters" are coming across as these days. Support the entire package, or don't support us. For me it's that simple. I suppose others are entitled to define "support" however they want to, but the word comes from the English dictionary and it's definition dosen't change when applied to football.
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Kukilon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 am wrote:1. It doesn't look like he wants to be here. He sulks around more than most players. First sign of a player sulking is not taking runs.

2. I have not seen one ounce of quality so far. The worst footballing brain I have seen in my life. His movement belongs in the sunday leagues. He has physical advantages and shoots as a horse kicks that is as far as I will go. Other players that have played much better than him have never gotten this sort of support. Jovanovic for example was a failed signing and accomplished about as much as Andy and people couldn't stand him and he hardly got the chances Andy is getting. Don't get me wrong Jovanovic didn't fit here. Same crappy movement, ball control and overal impact. People have been talking about getting rid of Kuyt from the start of his career with us. Lucas got on the bitter end of the ridiculing stick during games.

3. At the age of 23 he should be much more accomplished. If you haven't learned the basics by then you are way behind in development. Play him in the reserves until he warrants a start.

4. True and the blame for the transfer price should be with the club.

1. i hope to see a similar post from you in the steven gerrard thread about players sulking and according to you `not wanting to be here`.

2. i wont even reply to that mate, you dont wreck premiership defences at 21 like he did to ours, arsenal`s, villa`s etc in a newcastle shirt if you have no ability. if he is so cr@p what does that make skrtel and soto who he steamrollered at st. james park?

3. andy is a target man centre forward, they are like centre halves, they reach their peak quite late in their career, at the same stage in their respective careers teddy sheringham was at aldershot on loan from millwall, peter crouch was at QPR and didier drogba was at guingamp, at 23 all 3 players were practically unknown but all 3 went on to play in CL finals during their careers.
drogba didnt even sign his first pro contract until he was over 21, carroll had already fired the goals that got newcastle promoted, starred in the prem, was capped by england and went for £35m before drogba even started his career.
in terms of target men centre forwards carroll is ahead of the curve.

4. agree mate, the price tag wasnt carroll`s fault, he`s a young lad who deep down probably wanted to stay at his hometown club like we all would, imagine coming through the ranks at liverpool to live the dream, you even get handed the iconic shirt number that all the greats your dad has told you about from the 1930`s onwards have worn but then as soon as you`ve made it the club that you`ve worshipped all your life and gone to bed dreaming about decide to shift you on for a load of money.
when he arrived here he`s had a lot on his plate, he signed when badly injured so he couldnt get off to a good start and the price tag meant that he was  lumbered with a £35m millstone around his neck at an age when most footballers do well just to hold their own with experienced players. the press have been on his back and any time he looks like he might be enjoying himself a journo takes a picture and says he`s rat @rsed, it`s a lot to handle at 22/23.
in his first season at liverpool john toshack scored 5 league goals and he came good.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby heimdall » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:16 am

RedAnt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:26 am wrote:

To support him on the pitch and then ridicule him everywhere else would be nothing short of fickle hypocrasy which is what a lot of "supporters" are coming across as these days. Support the entire package, or don't support us. For me it's that simple. I suppose others are entitled to define "support" however they want to, but the word comes from the English dictionary and it's definition dosen't change when applied to football.

are you saying that no fan paying the ticket price should ever be allowed to criticise a player who is complete and utter *****, that is the most insane thing I've ever heard. Liverpool fans are passionate and loyal, but only to a point. Wwhen they see a player with zero quality sulking about and disrespecting the manager,who they of course idolise, then that is the last straw for them.
heimdall

Postby RedAnt » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:16 am

heimdall » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 am wrote:
RedAnt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:26 am wrote:

are you saying that no fan paying the ticket price should ever be allowed to criticise a player who is complete and utter *****, that is the most insane thing I've ever heard. Liverpool fans are passionate and loyal, but only to a point. Wwhen they see a player with zero quality sulking about and disrespecting the manager,who they of course idolise, then that is the last straw for them.

Fans have every right to be annoyed and to criticize. Comments such as "utter Sh*t" though are nothing more than your crudley worded opinion and isn't the the most articulate criticism i've ever heard. If yelling "You're utter Sh*t" from the stands, or posting it all over forums is what your money paid for, well, enjoy. 

You use Carroll's emotionally charged outburst against the "idolised" Kenny to back up your opinion, yet you choose to ignore the fact that Kenny picks Andy to play, and Kenny chose to overlook Carroll's four letter outburst. Well, which is it to be? Back Kenny's decisions or not? If Kenny dosen't mind his players swearing at him, why should it bother you? If you want to back Kenny and in turn back Liverpool FC, well you must also back Carroll since he is a chosen part of our team.
RedAnt

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Do you remember Michael Ricketts? Scored 15 goals for Bolton by Feb, got capped by England, but quickly worked his way down the leagues after moving to Boro and failing.

I doubt many remember Marcus Stewart, but he scored 19 Premier League goals in one season for Reading, finishing 2nd top goal scorer. He followed up by scoring 6 goals the following season before signing for Sunderland and didn’t even manage a goal every 3 games for them.

Amr Zaki wrecked most Premiership defensive he came up against for 6 months, scoring 10 goals before Christmas, but failed to score for the rest of the season.

Benjani, Roque Santa Cruz, Juan Pablo Ángel, James Beattie, etc.

One season wonders are not uncommon but every so often a club gets duped and pays silly money for them and we have added our name to that in spectacular fashion with Carroll.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion