Youssi benayoun - ?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:17 am

Addressing the content of one's post is an entirely different matter to attacking a person gratuitously.

If someone, for example, came on this forum and wrote "I think Rafa should be sacked, his signings have been appalling and we are never going to win the league whilst he's here" then I would consider it feasible to reply by saying: "IMO I think that post is sh!te".

Then going on to explain why you think it is sh!te is reasonable IMO. OK you could use language that is not as strong i.e. "IMO I think that post is rubbish", but I don't consider that as the issue.

If on the other hand debate draws out into all out newkit warfare i.e. "Go Feck yourself" , then IMO that is where it should be stopped in the interests of attracting newbies.

On the issue of speculation, there is speculation with foundation and evidence attached to it and there is baseless speculation that has very little credibility attached to it. For example I considered the Alonso speculation baseless given the evidence i.e. Rafa saying he was part of our long term future and Xabi himself saying "it is my dream to win the premiership with Liverpool". Ultimately the foundation of the comments proved true.

If posters want to contribute to the debate then post rumour that has some foundation to it, not just a report from a random website saying "it is understood that X player is wanted by x manager".

That is how I see it, if you don't challenge foundationless posts then IMO they will only persist.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:29 am

LFC2007 wrote:"it is understood that X player is wanted by x manager".

"Barcelona are closing in on Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso.
DiarioSport says negotiations between Barca and Liverpool are at an advanced stage for Xabi, whose Dad is a former Nou Camp star.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is resigned to losing Xabi, who has baulked at agreeing terms over a new contract extension at Anfield.

Ok, ok. it might just be a rumor. Still sounds bad to me if Xabi don't want to extend his contract. "

Here is an example of what I consider baseless speculation, this initiated a thread entitled "Alonso in advanced talks...."
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:25 am

Benayoun stalls on contract in hope of Anfield call
By Jason Burt
Published: 07 June 2007
Yossi Benayoun is understood to be hoping for a bid from Liverpool despite agreeing an improved five-year contract at West Ham United.

The Israeli international has told friends that he expects the Liverpool manager, Rafael Benitez, to make a move for him by the end of this week. However as the Anfield club will certainly not offer more than £5m for the midfielder, it is unlikely that West Ham will sell.

Benayoun was linked to Liverpool and Arsenal last summer but decided to stay at West Ham and was offered a new contract, which he did not sign.  At the end of this season he again sought talks with the club's directors, as revealed by The Independent, and threatened to submit a transfer request but, instead, was offered a deal that more than doubled his pay to £50,000 a week.

So far the new contract has not been signed    with sources at West Ham believing that Benayoun is hoping to give himself more leverage in any further negotiations.

Benayoun's agent, Ronen Katzav, insisted yesterday that the player intended to put pen to paper. "He has not rejected the contract," Katzav said. "He still plans to sign the contract, but there has been such much happening with his new baby and him being on international duty."

Benayoun played for Israel in last night's European Championship qualifier away to Andorra, which was won 2-0. Katsev added: "Obviously, in football you never know and, whilst it is unsigned, there is always a chance of something else. But the deal is agreed and we intend to sign it."

Independent

LINK
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:29 am

There's another article here that gives quotes:

Benayoun
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:34 am

LFC2007 wrote:There's another article here that gives quotes:

Benayoun

Both of which confirm my point that Benayoun has yet to sign his contract, so some of the criticism Kopboyau received was uncalled for.

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:39 am

Well nowhere have I seen a quote from anyone saying Benayoun wants to go to Liverpool for £5m. If anything the article I posted shows that the evidence (if the quotes are to be believed) is that he will sign a new contract with West Ham.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:42 am

do you follow news mate, if you did you would have known that benayoun signed a 5 year £50000 a week contract at west ham last week, and his thread would not have been created!!!!!!!!

He has just signed a big contract ent he so why are we discussing this.

so your going to believe some website over him actually signing a contract less than 9 days ago, what club bids for a player who just signs a lucrative 5 year contract less than a week old hmmmmmmmm 

This is more what I was meaning

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:47 am

AH, I can understand where you're coming from on that point, but I didn't say he signed a new contract (nor am I implying you thought I did) I was just pointing out that there appears to be little basis for this rumour - if anything the rumour will be used as leverage in his contract negotiations with West Ham.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:57 am

Rumours are just that rumour, the weight anyone places on a rumour seems to depend more on how much they want to believe it rather than the chances of it having any basis in truth.

Henry, Eto'o or Tevez coming, everyone would love it to happen so it gets more credibility than the tenuous links would really warrant.  Benayoun or Defoe coming, most don't like it so the rumour gets hammered.

Postby matrix » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:02 am

Youssi benayoun...

i love the guy but do you people think he is good enough to play as a winger for liverpool...

i cant say i have seen a lot of him this season...   how good do you people rate him...

help me out west ham fans...  :D    :;):

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:05 am

Squad player at best I would think. I was hoping for better  :(

Postby Simari » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:25 am

Benayoun is more of an attacking midfielder, not a right winger/midfielder.

Given our options in *attacking* midfield (Gerrard, Garcia, Lucas), it is unlikely that Rafa wants to strengthen that area or for that matter, buy a player who, in my opinion, will not adjust well to playing right wing/midfield.

On the few occasions that I have seen him play, if he is out wide, quite often he tends to cut inside into attacking midfield positions. Although lightweight by EPL standards (like Simao, Garcia, Aimar) he is a good ball-carrier and excels at making those runs. If anything, it does illustrate that even lightweights can be successful in the EPL, if there is the desire and commitment.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Kopboyau » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:15 am

Rumoured to be part of a Swap Deal for Craig Bellamy - Cash + Youssi = Bellamy
Kopboyau
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:26 am

bigmick wrote:If you are looking for a subtle pass, a virtuoso performaer who plays football from the Gods, Aimar is most definately the man. I think he is a sublime talent who if I'm flicking through Sky Sports and notice him playing in a game, I'll put the remote control down and watch. I remember a game where Valencia played (I think ) Barcelona away about eighteen months ago and Aimar created the away teams second with a short burst of speed with the ball, a slight bodyswerve and the most delicate and perfectly weighted little throughball you could ever wish to see. I swear it was a thing of beauty.

Pompous and posh people who have nio business at football matches but nontheless have a season ticket at Chelsea, talk about football being the working mans art. Maybe it is, and if it is Aimar is truly a modern day Picasso, a wonderful footballer. All that said, my feeling is that for him to prosper the team has to be built to accomodate his matchstick vulnerability and defensive invisibility, and that he wouldn't cut it in the rough and tumble of the Premiership.

A wonderful player though Manhattan, as subtle at the old through ball as you are yourself with the quip. While I'm at it, thanks a lot mate for making me splutter my coffee and p!ss myself laughing on numerous occasions over the last couple of years. Top man.

riquelme is far better,has the killer pass and  can control a game's tempo with ease , always a player i love to watch.
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:36 am

Kopboyau wrote:Rumoured to be part of a Swap Deal for Craig Bellamy - Cash + Youssi = Bellamy

I would imagine that, should Bellamy head for Upton Park, he'd be used as a make-weight for Tevez, rather than the Benayoun.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill