Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby kazza » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:47 am

We needed Kenny to steady the ship because the club was in turmoil after the previous owners had sacked Rafa and hired Hodgson, so I am happy they turned to him. We needed someone we trusted at that moment and there was no better that King Kenny. As it turned out his methods were outdated as a manager and he wanted to turn us into a long ball club, buying up the best crossers of the time and big strikers to head in the goals, buying Suarez was a bit of an anomaly. Changing Kenny after our 8th place finish was needed as sad as it was, and I'd bet Kenny himself new it needed to happen to take the club forward and to preserve his legacy. His loyalty to the club was repaid first by an ambassadorial role and then the ultimate honor of naming the stand after him. Credit to the owners as they played it well and showed class.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Reg » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:55 am wrote:+1. Kenny was in retirement ffs, it was totally unrealistic to bring him back.

*****,they had to move swiftly to appease the fans after that old dickhead's short but incredibly painful tenure and Kenny was the man Kopites wanted to see back at the helm,f*ck all unrealistic about it !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:35 pm

Actually, Kenny did quite well during the first half season he was in charge if I remember correctly. He immediately removed flop signings like Poulsen and Konchesky from the starting 11 and introduced young players like Spearing, Flanagan and Robinson. We had a solid set of experienced players as well, with Carra, Stevie, Lucas, Skrtel, Raul Meireles, Maxi Rodriguez, Dirk Kuyt... think Bellamy was there too.

The vital mistake that cost Kenny his job was Andy Carroll. Not just the fact that we spent a fortune on an above average player, but we also tried to build a side around him, instead of Suarez. The quality of the players we singed during the summer tranfer window wasn't good enough either, I still cringe when I think of some of those names. We got rid of the likes of Meireles and Maxi Rodriguez and replaced them with Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing. Had we not signed Andy Carroll though, we wouldn't have signed those player either IMO, so really, Carroll was key here. Ultimately, it was the new signings that cost Kenny his job, and personally I don't believe he had full say in them.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:43 pm

I think Kenny was trying to recreate the technical striker playing off a lampost.

Like he did with Sutton and Shearer at Backburn Epl side 1994/95.

Andy Carroll was a torrid torrid buy which just makes one ponder how bad of a howler we made.

Modern times it probably would be in the region of 60-70 mill for a striker just making half a season in the prem.
Last edited by redshade on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:40 pm

I have nothing but respect for Kenny. But FSG should have pushed him upstairs after the 6 month spell.

Carroll was a howler, along with Adam and Downing. But kenny's biggest mistake was to replace the injured Lucas with Spearing. Madness
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:06 am

7_Kewell » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:40 pm wrote:I have nothing but respect for Kenny. But FSG should have pushed him upstairs after the 6 month spell.

Carroll was a howler, along with Adam and Downing. But kenny's biggest mistake was to replace the injured Lucas with Spearing. Madness

Geez... the players we had were so depressing back then. You reminded me. It rivalked the ones we had during the latter days of Houllier's tenure in terms of depression scale...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:10 am

In other news, linked with Timo Werner by several news outlets. The qouted price is 86 million sterling pounds. Oh my goodness!
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:29 am

7_Kewell » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:40 pm wrote:I have nothing but respect for Kenny. But FSG should have pushed him upstairs after the 6 month spell.

Kenny dug us out of hole after the complete and utter shambles that was Roy Hodgson, he also won us a cup and took us to another final using a team of consisting of Rafa remainers, Hodgson misfits and Commoli signings, as for Spearing it was a choice of him or Jojo Shelvey so not exactly blessed with options was he
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:53 am

In todays Express

‘It would be a dream to play at Liverpool’: Reds on alert after transfer revelation

Watford’s Doucoure has been linked with a switch away from Vicarage Road in recent weeks following his impressive displays at Watford.

And it seems he has issued a ‘come and get me plea’ to Jurgen Klopp with the transfer window fast approaching.

“Liverpool is a club that need no introduction," Doucoure said.

"I was impatient to play there, at Anfield. I wanted to feel the atmosphere. For me it would be a dream to play in a club like this."

Liverpool are likely to invest in a new midfielder this summer with Emre Can looking set to move on.

Think the fella's a more than handy box to box midfielder, just having another look at him on youtube, could prove more than useful with us in next seasons revamped midfield.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Eagle » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:01 pm

Don't think Klopp will go for Doucoure. We have more than enough 8s. I reckon we'll go for a 6, and go big.
Eagle

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:19 pm

woof woof ! » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:53 am wrote:In todays Express

‘It would be a dream to play at Liverpool’: Reds on alert after transfer revelation

Watford’s Doucoure has been linked with a switch away from Vicarage Road in recent weeks following his impressive displays at Watford.

And it seems he has issued a ‘come and get me plea’ to Jurgen Klopp with the transfer window fast approaching.

“Liverpool is a club that need no introduction," Doucoure said.

"I was impatient to play there, at Anfield. I wanted to feel the atmosphere. For me it would be a dream to play in a club like this."

Liverpool are likely to invest in a new midfielder this summer with Emre Can looking set to move on.

Think the fella's a more than handy box to box midfielder, just having another look at him on youtube, could prove more than useful with us in next seasons revamped midfield.

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:57 pm

:wwww

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

Nothing wrong with a bit of Voodoo in the squad   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:12 pm

Eagle » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm wrote:Don't think Klopp will go for Doucoure. We have more than enough 8s. I reckon we'll go for a 6, and go big.

He can play the 6 at a very high level. He's quick, good in the air, physical, covers ground well and above all good/confident on possession. Can't go wrong with a signing like that imo. He'd be the perfect replacement for Can.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:46 am

I like Dacoure but isnt he more in the Keita mould? I think we could really do with a top quality passer of the ball in midfield, id love if we could get some like Jorginho or Serri.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:49 am

I wouldn't mind Doucoure but the more I think of it, the more I get excited about us signing Jorginho. My main concern is that he's Italian, and we've seen a lot of good players used to the Italian league flop in the prem, and he will surely cost a lot of money and we simply can't afford such an expensive player to flop. But looking at him, he's exactly what we need; strong, energetic, good tackler, reads the game well. Defensively he reminds me a lot of a top form Lucas Leiva, but he also has a good eye for a pass and dictates the tempo well from deep.

He will cost a lot and it's always risky singing expensive players unless you're Man City or PSG, but IMO Jorginho is exactly the kind of player we need and hopefully he will be our main target this summer.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill