Rumour of the day - For the miserable tw@ts amongst you

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby JC_81 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Maguskwt - Stop being a child mate.

I'm not saying don't sign players, just highlighting that there are no guarantees, which is fact.

No point crying now that we didnt sign Van Dijk a few years ago.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:55 pm

JC_81 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:52 am wrote:Maguskwt - Stop being a child mate.

I'm not saying don't sign players, just highlighting that there are no guarantees, which is fact.

No point crying now that we didnt sign Van Dijk a few years ago.

Yup... it went over your head alright...  :nod
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 am

If we are not going to sign top players anymore the only way we can possibly compete against clubs who do show ambition in the transfer market is by having a world class scouting network.
Whatever the reason was why we didn't sign Van Dijk the truth is we can't afford too many mistakes like that anymore, we can't afford to be missing out on the opportunity to sign £40m+ players for £2.6m when we are setting ourselves up as a club that wins things by signing top players on the cheap.
We are not gonna to be able to compete against clubs signing the Pogba's and Griezemann's of this world if we keep on looking gift horses in the mouth like that, i know it's difficult to tell wether a player will go on to great things or not but we have no other choice but to become experts at it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:55 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:37 am wrote:If we are not going to sign top players anymore the only way we can possibly compete against clubs who do show ambition in the transfer market is by having a world class scouting network.
Whatever the reason was why we didn't sign Van Dijk the truth is we can't afford too many mistakes like that anymore, we can't afford to be missing out on the opportunity to sign £40m+ players for £2.6m when we are setting ourselves up as a club that wins things by signing top players on the cheap.
We are not gonna to be able to compete against clubs signing the Pogba's and Griezemann's of this world if we keep on looking gift horses in the mouth like that, i know it's difficult to tell wether a player will go on to great things or not but we have no other choice but to become experts at it.

Precisely. Right now it has to be said that both Southampton and Spurs are better at it than us. We can't compete in terms of wages against clubs like Man City, Chelsea, the Mancs and Arsenal. We compete with Spurs but they still somehow are a better draw to players than us. We somehow cannot detect up and coming talent as well as Southampton. So we are actually where we belong, 5th or 6th position in the league.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:11 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:37 am wrote:If we are not going to sign top players anymore the only way we can possibly compete against clubs who do show ambition in the transfer market is by having a world class scouting network.

But how many "top players" have we signed over the past 15 years? Generally we have taken a punt on players and they have gone on to become top players with us. I can't recall us beating a big club to a top player for a long time. Suarez was put up for sale by Ajax after he bit someone and Spurs were the only other club prepared to take a risk on him. We picked Masch out of the West Ham reserves. While Alonso and Torres were being scouted by big clubs none we didn't have to beat anyone to their signatures. Markovic chose us over Chelsea but that's probably because he knew he would be sent out on loan ASAP.

The only difference now is that we are competing in a market that looks very different with more competition at the top end and we haven't really been performing that well when taking punts on potential. But the strategy is more or less the same.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:30 pm

According to the Guardian and other tabloids Chelsea have opened talks with Dahoud after he declined a contract extension at Monchengladbach
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:22 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:30 pm wrote:According to the Guardian and other tabloids Chelsea have opened talks with Dahoud after he declined a contract extension at Monchengladbach

Thought it had gone quiet on that front. One minute we were heavily linked with him but when January arrives - nothing. There's a new pecking order now and unfortunately we are nowhere near the top of it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:33 pm

I thought Pearce said we'd dropped our interest in him after we got Wijnaldum towards the end of the summer window. He'll  probably end up at Dortmund which seems to be a popular destination for the best up and coming players.
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Eagle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:33 pm wrote:I thought Pearce said we'd dropped our interest in him after we got Wijnaldum towards the end of the summer window. He'll  probably end up at Dortmund which seems to be a popular destination for the best up and coming players.

That does ring a bell now you mention it mate. We shouldn't be dropping our interest in quality players though, let's face it Wijnaldum or no Wijnaldum our midfield is still a long way away from being the finished article.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:44 pm

We've been linked with Chelsea striker Dominic Solanke. And Conte has add to the rumours by saying that Solanke may leave in the summer, even though he didn't mention us. Don't know much about this player. But skeptic in me says that if he's good, then why would a direct rival sell to us.
Last edited by maguskwt on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:00 pm

They won't be selling him. He'll be going out of contract, although we'll still have to pay a fee.

Quite a promising youngster by all accounts.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Linked to Goetze again, same old names and no doubt result, he wont sign.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:24 pm

parchpea » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:37 pm wrote:Linked to Goetze again, same old names and no doubt result, he wont sign.

He is no upgrade to our current starters..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Goetze has been off the boil for a few years now so at a point where his stocks low enough to give us a chance of buying him.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Dahoud  :laugh: This situation was always going to happen with him and had we could have signed him last month if we were willing to pay. The player is the one the manager wants and we spent the summer trying to get him so why didn't we test their resolve in January with another bid ?  He was never going to sign another deal with Monchengladbach and now that it is announced we face stiff competition from Chelsea. No doubt we will still slander the lad by implying he was all about the money  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill