Rafael van der vaart

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:30 pm

When Houllier was still manager, we used to be linked with this lad every transfer window.

He's a midfielder who likes playing behind the front two, and can play on either flanks. He knows how to find the back of the net, and imo signing him would help us immensely. We only have two midfielders who can score goals consistently [Garcia and Gerrard].

Van Der Vaart scored 16 goals for Hamburg last year and he's carrying them this year in the relegation battle. He's lifted them from 18th place to 13th with his ability to score important goals.

In the last three or four seasons he spent at Ajax before joining HSV, he scored goals in double figures.

I was surprised to see him go to HSV and they got him for a cheap price. Why not sign him in the summer? Surely better to have him than Zenden on the flank.

Ever since Garcia's been injured, our goals from the midfield have been drying up. And the lad is only 24 so he has plenty of time to improve even further as a player.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by A.B. on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:35 pm

he's that lad who scored that belter of a goal against Arsenal in the group stage of the champions league wasn't he?
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:46 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:he's that lad who scored that belter of a goal against Arsenal in the group stage of the champions league wasn't he?

Yea

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mUv3rbxy7WQ
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:13 pm

I would love him to come to Liverpool, but I can't see it happening.They would want about £9million for him, and as hes not lightening fast he might struggle to adapt. Great player though with skill, flicks and a great passer too. I saw quite a bit of him when he was at Ajax before his injury, not seen much of him since though so I'm not sure if its affected him in any way.

I was really surprised and dissapointed when we didn't go for him before he joined Hamburg. He is certainly a better option than Bolo.
account deleted by request

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:33 pm

I think the majority of europe went "eh!" when he signed for HSV. Apart from us there were a number of europes big guns running the rule over him including most of the usual suspects from Italy. It was widely expected at the time (if I remember correctly) that he was going to join Barca but then out of nowhere he joined HSV. If he's still as good as he was at Ajax then it could be a good signing if we can get him in for sub £9m but I just can't see how he'd improve any having spent a couple of years in Germany as their league just doesn't come close to the likes of the Premiership or La liga.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:29 am

But arent we loaded with centre midfielders already?

I'd love to have van der Vaart but its hard to see him fitting into a centremidfield with the players we already have.

My opinion anyways.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:12 am

Not seen too much of him, tbh, but looks a top player from what I HAVE seen.

"Would he adapt to the Premiership?", is the question I'd want reassurances on.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:50 pm

anti-hero wrote:But arent we loaded with centre midfielders already?

I'd love to have van der Vaart but its hard to see him fitting into a centremidfield with the players we already have.

My opinion anyways.

He's not a central midfielder, he can play in various positions.

"Would he adapt to the Premiership?", is the question I'd want reassurances on.

Well that's a question that we ask about a lot of players outside of England. But if Little Luis can still score goals in this league then I'm sure someone like VDR could as well.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:52 pm

Sorry i dont think hes half the player he used to be. His temerament is dodgy and hes just not as skilful. Maybe its because hes not happy where he is, but i dont think he has anythng to offer us that we couldnt get in a better amount somewhere else.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:39 pm

I think he is a fantastic footballer and as Ab said he does play in various positions.
I have read the odd article in the past questioning his temperament...although nothing concrete to suggest his temperament is poor.
Most dutch players are fine in the premiership, the likes of Robben Kuyt Van Nistelrooy all cope/coped fine.
I was also shocked when he went to Hamburg, any ideas how much he cost them and how long his contract has left ?

Goals from midfield are vital and one of the reasons why we havent performed as well as united in the league this season.

He could be a great signing and one i would definately welcome.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:31 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:I think he is a fantastic footballer and as Ab said he does play in various positions.
I have read the odd article in the past questioning his temperament...although nothing concrete to suggest his temperament is poor.
Most dutch players are fine in the premiership, the likes of Robben Kuyt Van Nistelrooy all cope/coped fine.
I was also shocked when he went to Hamburg, any ideas how much he cost them and how long his contract has left ?

Goals from midfield are vital and one of the reasons why we havent performed as well as united in the league this season.

He could be a great signing and one i would definately welcome.

From what I remember he went for about £5.5million with a further £1.5million depending on results/appearances etc. Considering he was valued at about £12million+ only 12months before they certainly got him at a bargain price.

It is now over six years since the left-sided playmaker first burst on to the scene with Ajax. Born in Heemskerk on 11 February 1983 Van der Vaart had joined the Amsterdam giants at the age of ten and, after scoring seven goals in 27 appearances in his first full season, 2000/01, found himself compared to the likes of Dennis Bergkamp and even the great Johan Cruyff. He made his senior debut as a 17-year-old in a 1-1 draw at Den Bosch in April 2000 and his international bow followed just 18 months later in a FIFA World Cup qualifier against Andorra. That first cap came early in the 2001/02 campaign, when he built on the promise of his first season by hitting 14 goals to help Ajax win the title before a serious knee injury disrupted his progress that February. Injuries continued to plague the youngster the following term but he still managed 18 goals in 21 games, firmly establishing himself as a hero of the Ajax faithful even before he assumed the captaincy and helped the club seize back the Eredivisie crown from PSV in season 2003/04.

Unhappily Van der Vaart became a target for abuse for opposition fans because of his high-profile relationship with Dutch television presenter and model Sylvie Meis. Indeed in September 2004, the referee in charge of Ajax’s match at ADO Den Haag actually threatened to abandon the game due to the chants being sung about Van der Vaart’s now wife. At the same time, the player’s relationship with then Ajax coach Ronald Koeman was worsening and he was stripped of the captaincy, and when things did not improve under Koeman’s successor, Danny Blind, it was clear that the time had come to move on.

His destination, however, surprised everyone. Van der Vaart’s attacking flair had appeared perfectly suited for Spanish football and the last thing people expected was a transfer to Hamburg, a club without a notable success in almost a quarter of a century. Cruyff’s reaction was typical. "I don't know what to say about it or what Rafael van der Vaart is doing in Hamburg," he wrote in his newspaper column. However, the move to the only ever-present club in the Bundesliga's 42-year history appears to have suited the Dutchman, particularly as Hamburg have been happy to build a team around their biggest signing since Kevin Keegan, and to ensure his attacking instincts are indulged to the full.

With Rafael Wicky providing defensive cover, Van der Vaart has operated in his preferred position behind the front two during the past season, scoring freely as Hamburg enjoyed a fine campaign at the top end of the Bundesliga table and reached the last 16 of the UEFA Cup
account deleted by request

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:40 pm

I do seem to remember him being labelled the 'Dutch Beckham' in terms of his off the field lifestyle. It's a known fact that Rafa doesn't really like this sort of player so if he is still that kind of footballer away from the pitch then I couldn't see him fitting in at Anfield or Rafa's mantra! :;):
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:27 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:I do seem to remember him being labelled the 'Dutch Beckham' in terms of his off the field lifestyle. It's a known fact that Rafa doesn't really like this sort of player so if he is still that kind of footballer away from the pitch then I couldn't see him fitting in at Anfield or Rafa's mantra! :;):

Two words: Bellamy,Pennant.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby metalhead » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:40 pm

A.B. wrote:When Houllier was still manager, we used to be linked with this lad every transfer window.

He's a midfielder who likes playing behind the front two, and can play on either flanks. He knows how to find the back of the net, and imo signing him would help us immensely. We only have two midfielders who can score goals consistently [Garcia and Gerrard].

Van Der Vaart scored 16 goals for Hamburg last year and he's carrying them this year in the relegation battle. He's lifted them from 18th place to 13th with his ability to score important goals.

In the last three or four seasons he spent at Ajax before joining HSV, he scored goals in double figures.

I was surprised to see him go to HSV and they got him for a cheap price. Why not sign him in the summer? Surely better to have him than Zenden on the flank.

Ever since Garcia's been injured, our goals from the midfield have been drying up. And the lad is only 24 so he has plenty of time to improve even further as a player.

Your thoughts?

I actually agree with you A.B and ace.. fantastic footballer.

He has great shots
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:03 am

He's fantastic...He's worldclass...

Is he's kinda like harry kewell ???
Elchris

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill