Clint dempsey - I would have him in a flash

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:10 am

Disappointed if Werner gets his way and we sign this yard dog ,I don't for the life of me believe it would be a signing Rodgers would make.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:48 am

I guess I mean more in my time, a field player, and one that will hopefully play on a consistent basis.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby aCe' » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:20 am

Not a big fan of Dempsey. For whatever we'd have to pay for him, we can do better. Much better.
The other thing is, where would he fit ?
Not sure he's too comfortable down the flanks and if we are to play a more advanced attacking central midfielder then Gerrard would certainly make that spot his own.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:01 pm

kartiek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:34 am wrote:Probably can't improve the team just because he's american isn't it?

it`s nothing to do with being american, if our owners were chinese and they suddenly threw their transfer philosophy out of the window to sign a chinese player the reaction would be exactly the same. the whole think stinks of being a PR excercise to recruit fans and shift merchandise in the states, the cynic in me thinks him coming here would make a great finale to that documentary they are making as well. once it`s announced that an american player is going to be in it i`m sure the viewing figures will be a lot higher than they would have been.
a few months ago when dalglish was in charge werner did an interview where he said he would love to sign an american player because it would be the quickest way to build our fan base in the states, i even think dempsey was mentioned in the interview. he gave the usual line about this player has got to be good enough to justify his place in the squad blah blah blah but we know the owners wanted to sign an american player.
next minute they bring their own man in (hodgson was appointed by a different regime and kenny was the fans choice) and one of the first things that happens is an american player comes in, not only that he`s 29 going on 30 and costing a fair few quid going against their much vaunted transfer policy.
we`ve got a new manager here declaring in his first press conference he`s not a yes man and next minute we are linked with the player our owners want?
as it happens dempsey is not the worst player in the world but that is not the issue, the issue is who is calling the shots? is it the manager or is it a load of baseball people who knew absolutely nothing about footy 5 years ago.
it was only at the end of last season that they said if kenny would have won the 2 cups he wouldnt have kept his job anyway, basically saying the domestic cups including the oldest footballing trophy in the world (the trophy that was the genesis of the sport) was worthless to them, basically throwing a 150 years of sporting culture out of the window, they made it quite clear they were interested in money not prestige. are you surprised when people raise their eyebrows when a transfer that is so obviously all about commerce looks like going through?
not being funny mate but saying `it`s because he`s american isnt it?` is actually an insult.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kartiek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:24 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:01 pm wrote:
kartiek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:34 am wrote:Probably can't improve the team just because he's american isn't it?

it`s nothing to do with being american, if our owners were chinese and they suddenly threw their transfer philosophy out of the window to sign a chinese player the reaction would be exactly the same. the whole think stinks of being a PR excercise to recruit fans and shift merchandise in the states, the cynic in me thinks him coming here would make a great finale to that documentary they are making as well. once it`s announced that an american player is going to be in it i`m sure the viewing figures will be a lot higher than they would have been.
a few months ago when dalglish was in charge werner did an interview where he said he would love to sign an american player because it would be the quickest way to build our fan base in the states, i even think dempsey was mentioned in the interview. he gave the usual line about this player has got to be good enough to justify his place in the squad blah blah blah but we know the owners wanted to sign an american player.
next minute they bring their own man in (hodgson was appointed by a different regime and kenny was the fans choice) and one of the first things that happens is an american player comes in, not only that he`s 29 going on 30 and costing a fair few quid going against their much vaunted transfer policy.
we`ve got a new manager here declaring in his first press conference he`s not a yes man and next minute we are linked with the player our owners want?
as it happens dempsey is not the worst player in the world but that is not the issue, the issue is who is calling the shots? is it the manager or is it a load of baseball people who knew absolutely nothing about footy 5 years ago.
it was only at the end of last season that they said if kenny would have won the 2 cups he wouldnt have kept his job anyway, basically saying the domestic cups including the oldest footballing trophy in the world (the trophy that was the genesis of the sport) was worthless to them, basically throwing a 150 years of sporting culture out of the window, they made it quite clear they were interested in money not prestige. are you surprised when people raise their eyebrows when a transfer that is so obviously all about commerce looks like going through?
not being funny mate but saying `it`s because he`s american isnt it?` is actually an insult.

YC I don't buy this argument. If people are raising concerns about Dempsey, saying it's a PR stunt, then they are being hugely disrespectful to both a quality player like dempsey and our manager Brendan Rodgers. I haven't seen FSG arm twist any of our managers at all. If anything, they were arm twisted by BR to get rid of any delusions of signing a DoF. They were imo foolishly convinced by Comolli and Dalglish to spend a huge sum of money on really average players. They've honestly given their support all their way.

As for Dempsey, I can completely understand if BR was interested in him. The guy is so good on the ball and his movement is really clever. Last season, of his 23 goals, I think 10 were left footed, 5 were right footed, 5 were headers, some hips (kuyt style). Out of those, I think 4 were from outside the box, 2 were from dead ball. He scored goals from corners, from the traditional through balls beating defenders. I mean come on, give the guy some respect, you're not a numpty if you score 23 goals in a season and 13 before that (playing not as main striker then). If he comes, I'm sure it's because BR thinks he's good enough.
kartiek

Postby stmichael » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:26 pm

the main concern i have with dempsey is that he's a player who thrived at fulham in a team who played primarily on the counter attack. under rodgers we're going to be playing more of a possession based game and in games at anfield when we're looking to break teams down who sit back and defend i don't think dempsey is the type of player to unlock a defence.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:17 pm

kartiek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:24 pm wrote:

YC I don't buy this argument. If people are raising concerns about Dempsey, saying it's a PR stunt, then they are being hugely disrespectful to both a quality player like dempsey and our manager Brendan Rodgers. I haven't seen FSG arm twist any of our managers at all. If anything, they were arm twisted by BR to get rid of any delusions of signing a DoF. They were imo foolishly convinced by Comolli and Dalglish to spend a huge sum of money on really average players. They've honestly given their support all their way.

As for Dempsey, I can completely understand if BR was interested in him. The guy is so good on the ball and his movement is really clever. Last season, of his 23 goals, I think 10 were left footed, 5 were right footed, 5 were headers, some hips (kuyt style). Out of those, I think 4 were from outside the box, 2 were from dead ball. He scored goals from corners, from the traditional through balls beating defenders. I mean come on, give the guy some respect, you're not a numpty if you score 23 goals in a season and 13 before that (playing not as main striker then). If he comes, I'm sure it's because BR thinks he's good enough.

they have stated in interviews that they want to sign an american player because it`s the easiest way of building our fanbase in the states!
and to be fair they are not wrong, the american posters who we have on here are made up with the prospect.
i will be so dissapointed in rodgers if this transfer goes through i really will.
i`m not dissapointed with the owners, i`ve worked out by now that they just want to get the most possible money out of this club with the least possible investment, i know they are only interested in the $$$ and not the trophies, we found that out last season.
they dont care about football lad, they are baseball people, they probably couldnt name 5 prem teams 4 years ago, the very things that fans say is wrong with the modern game like the ridiculous money and the greed are the very things that attracted them to the game in the first place.
they wouldnt be here if the game wasnt awash with cash, if it was cricket or gaelic footy or whatever that was awash with cash they`d be in that and not footy.
imo this is a commercial signing pure and simple
you can believe that stuff you wrote if you want mate, especially if it makes you feel better when your walking around with your clint dempsey shirt on.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:40 pm

If the question was who out of Carroll or Dempsey would teams fear the most next season ? I'm afraid a player touching 30 as opposed to a 23
year old who is now showing all the signs of becoming practically unplayable needs only common sense to answer.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:01 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:40 pm wrote:If the question was who out of Carroll or Dempsey would teams fear the most next season ? I'm afraid a player touching 30 as opposed to a 23
year old who is now showing all the signs of becoming practically unplayable needs only common sense to answer.

What if he's (Carroll) injured RBG?

To coin a phrase from a man you highly appreciate, what about "options" RBG?
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Kenny Kan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:01 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:40 pm wrote:If the question was who out of Carroll or Dempsey would teams fear the most next season ? I'm afraid a player touching 30 as opposed to a 23

What if he's (Carroll) injured RBG?

To coin a phrase from a man you highly appreciate, what about "options" RBG?

I realise options are important mate ,but we're being constantly informed by the "great unwashed "of the media that Carroll would not fit into the plans of Brendan Rodgers and will be moved on ,yet they preach repetitively  that Dempsey will suit Liverpool down to the proverbial ground .

I think the media seriously don't want Carroll at Liverpool next season mate ,and have made it this seasons agenda to apply a helping hand in twisting our tit till that scenario unfolds .... I just hope we keep the lad ,because next season he will make us feared .
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:41 pm

kartiek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:34 am wrote:
mart » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:45 pm wrote:Good enough for a squad player, but he is not the type of player that will really improve the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAVFxJer ... e=youtu.be

Really?

Oh wow a youtube video that makes a player look good. I dont think I have seen that before.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:56 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:17 pm wrote:
kartiek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:24 pm wrote:
they have stated in interviews that they want to sign an american player because it`s the easiest way of building our fanbase in the states!
and to be fair they are not wrong, the american posters who we have on here are made up with the prospect.
i will be so dissapointed in rodgers if this transfer goes through i really will.
i`m not dissapointed with the owners, i`ve worked out by now that they just want to get the most possible money out of this club with the least possible investment, i know they are only interested in the $$$ and not the trophies, we found that out last season.
they dont care about football lad, they are baseball people, they probably couldnt name 5 prem teams 4 years ago, the very things that fans say is wrong with the modern game like the ridiculous money and the greed are the very things that attracted them to the game in the first place.
they wouldnt be here if the game wasnt awash with cash, if it was cricket or gaelic footy or whatever that was awash with cash they`d be in that and not footy.
imo this is a commercial signing pure and simple
you can believe that stuff you wrote if you want mate, especially if it makes you feel better when your walking around with your clint dempsey shirt on.

what a thoroughly ludicrous, unfounded set of accusations you (regularly !) make, sunshine....
Do you read out loud when you type so you can LISTEN to the horse shyte you post?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:40 am

[quote="bunglemark2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:56 pm
what a thoroughly ludicrous, unfounded set of accusations you (regularly !) make, sunshine....
Do you read out loud when you type so you can LISTEN to the horse shyte you post?

what`s unfounded? that the yanks arent here to make money?
that they are bringing dempsey here to sell shirts in the states?
that they werent big footy fans?
whats unfounded? sunshine
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:15 am

I like Clint Dempsey even though his first name sounds too similar to a part of the female anatomy. His play is intense and he's always working his socks off... I think BR is building a good team with Suarez, Dempsey and Borini as his forwards. Dempsey may not be in the exotic category of Torreses, Silvas etc but I prefer a player that gives 100% every game and also has end product. The Man United teams in the 90's consisted of similar players. Besides Dempsey scored 23 goals last season... that's more than any one of our players. There is this stigma on this forum that a US player is just not good enough. It's ridiculous because I would love to have players like Donovan and Dempsey in our side. If we sign Dempsey, we will surely be adding to the quality of our team as well as the depth. Besides whoever can tangle with Terry and break his cheekbone gets my vote  :D ... he's a tough cookie.  In BR we trust  :buttrock

ps: btw ycsatwoiejrejlekrjejr, he's 6'1" so he's not so small...  :laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:53 am

So long as we get Dempsey for a fair price I think he will be a useful addition.

Looks like they will take him if Fulham lower the price and in a nutshell your
buying goals and assists.

He would arrive with experience and ready to go, not much bedding in to things
really. He arrives late on the scene to knock goals in as well as being a useful free kick
taker. Technically hes decent as well and is adept at sliding the ball through tight spaces
which would be a useful tool for us, especially at Anfield.

We desperately need game changers and  goal getters, Dempsey has a very good end
product and his record reflects that.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill