Capello's real future still in doubt - Opportunity?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Reg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Capello's Real future still in doubt

MADRID (Reuters) - Fabio Capello's future as Real Madrid coach still hangs in the balance despite meeting all the objectives he was given at the start of the season, club president Ramon Calderon said on Friday.

"We have to wait on the report from the sporting department of the club," Calderon told reporters at a media briefing. "They will make recommendations as to whether Capello should stay on as coach or not. We will decide next Monday or Tuesday."

Calderon also admitted that he had wanted Bernd Schuster to take charge of the team when he became president of the club last year, but that sporting director Predrag Mijatovic had persuaded him Capello was the man for the job.

"From my position as a fan at the start of the season I thought Schuster would be the ideal coach," he said. "But Mijatovic told me he was not the right person at that time and that we needed Fabio Capello."

Calderon added: "It was a difficult time. We needed someone who could clean out the dressing room, bring order to the team and also win a trophy and Capello was capable of doing that. Mijatovic was right."

Asked whether the club had already approached Getafe coach Schuster to take charge next season, Calderon replied:

"According to Mijatovic we cannot talk to anyone who has a contract, but if we need a new coach and Schuster sorts things out with Getafe then I imagine Mijatovic will look at him.

"But Mijatovic has also talked to me about (Ronald) Koeman, (Michael) Laudrup and (Arsene) Wenger."

FIRST TROPHY

Calderon acknowledged it was hard to understand that Capello's position was in doubt given that he had steered the club to their first trophy in the last four years.

"It isn't normal that within 24 hours of winning the title people are talking about the future of the coach," he said. "I can't imagine say Liverpool doing the same if they had won the league.

"I can't remember a golfer or tennis player being criticised for playing badly after winning a tournament. It is rather sad."

The Real president said he was glad to see the back of the "Galactico" era at the club but it did not mean they would not be trying to sign high-profile players like AC Milan's Brazil international Kaka.

"The Galactico label did us a lot of damage," said Calderon. "We seemed arrogant and we made a lot of enemies.

"We are very keen to sign Kaka and will do all we can to make it happen but Milan won't make it easy for us. If a player wants to leave it is impossible to keep him. I don't know if that's the case with Kaka but we'll certainly be on the alert."

© Reuters 2007.

Kick out Rafa, bring in Capello, kick out all the spaniards and bring in 15 Italians......  :rasp
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby grayghost » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:59 pm

How can a man who has just won them the title futre be in doubt.

That whole club is just a big joke now and lost its magic years ago.
grayghost

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:04 pm

To be honest, I remember a time when Del Bosque got sacked because he didn't win the Champions League.

It doesn't surprise me.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:08 pm

It's totally amazing that they are still talking about sacking him after winning the league (all though Barca did sort of hand it to them  :angry:  - I'm not bitter  :p ). It's all down to politics and the fact that the style of his teams doesn't fit into the Real Madrid way of playing. :no
I know we'd all like to see Liverpool win the league playing with the qualities of the teams of old (better than the Brazilians in '87/'88  :D ) but if we managed to go on a win the league next season by playing 'boring' football I bet none of us would give a flying f'uck and Rafa would be seen as a legend by the masses.

Being a Barca fan on the side I don't really care who the madrid manager is (as long as it's not rafa) but I do have a respect for Capello as he has been there, done everything and got the t-shirt so I think it's totally unjust to sack him just becasue the club don't like the way the team plays football.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:12 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:To be honest, I remember a time when Del Bosque got sacked because he didn't win the Champions League.

It doesn't surprise me.

I could be completely wrong but didn't they sack him after winning the champions league?
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:22 pm

It shows how crazy football has become that a manager like capello is fearing the sack, ffs he's the best manager of the last 20 years, alongside Lippi. Eevn on these boards we have had people say similar things about rafa, too many fickle,'we want it now, and played like this' fans.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:23 pm

I'm going to be controversial here and say I believe Madrid are doing the right thing if they sack Capello.

I don't like Capello.  He's a self-confessed footballing mercenary who only believes in staying with a club for a few years and then moving on.  His record's phenomenal in terms of trophies, and he was the right choice for Madrid last season because they needed a disciplinarian to come in, sort them out, get results and break Barce's dominance.  Now he's done that I believe it's time to get rid.  Capello shows loyalty to no team so he deserves none himself.  He'll build a team, coach a team, win trophies then bugger off.

He lays no foundation for the future at any club and therefore his success is always immediate, never long term.  You can't build for the future at a club when Capello's in charge, because he could decide at any point to go and coach somewhere else.

He's the best at what he does in terms of immediate success on the pitch, but it's not the type of coach I'd want at LFC and not the type of coach Madrid need if they want sustained success.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:33 pm

grayghost wrote:How can a man who has just won them the title futre be in doubt.

That whole club is just a big joke now and lost its magic years ago.

Well, you know, 9 CL, lots of liga titles, and then a liga won in the last minute is a dissapointing season.

It seems to me that Calderon didn't trust the come back of Real Madrid and agreed the goodbye of Capello a long ago.

It has been a mistake, because despite making a couple of mistakes, he was the man to do the real cleansing Real Madrid needed.

Schuster is a good coach.... but in Getafe and Levante he's played the same football, a football for small teams, he's totally unproven for a top club.

We'll see what happens.

Capello? well he's been playing with a double holding midfielder, and that's "unacceptable" for the "White Knights of honour" and for the "glory" and "greatness" and "knighthood" of Real Madrid, all this quotes are the translation of the kind of things they say of themselves.

I preffer Rafa :)

P.S. BTW it's confirmed Schuster will coach the team next season.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:11 pm

I'd p155 myself if Wenger left for Madrid and Henry left for Anfield, the gooners would be up the swannie without a paddle, lol :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:21 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:To be honest, I remember a time when Del Bosque got sacked because he didn't win the Champions League.

It doesn't surprise me.

I could be completely wrong but didn't they sack him after winning the champions league?

No they won the league but still sacked him because he didn't win the champions league.

Full name: Vicente del Bosque González
Nationality: Spanish
DOB: December 23, 1950
Birthplace: Salamanca

Current job: unemployed

Honours:

UEFA Champions League: 1999-00, 2001-02 (Real Madrid)
Intercontinental Cup: 2002 (Real Madrid)
European Supercup: 2002 (Real Madrid)

Spanish Liga Primera: 2000-01, 2002-03 (Real Madrid)
Spanish Supercup: 2001 (Real Madrid)
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:25 pm

Four linked to Real post

Four names have been tipped as Fabio Capello's successor at Real Madrid - including Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

Italian Capello's future at El Santiago Bernabeu remains in doubt despite helping Real land the coveted Liga title last weekend.

Real are expected to clear up Capello's position early next week, although the merry-go-round regarding a possible successor has already started.

Bernabeu supremo Ramon Calderon has revealed he wanted Bernd Schuster prior to Capello's appointment and still remains keen on the ex-Real player.

However, Calderon has been in talks with Predrag Mijatovic and the sporting director has also come up with a short-list of his own, which includes Wenger.

The experienced French tactician's long-term future remains unclear as he has just 12 months left on his existing deal, although Real are against approaching anyone under contract.

"According to Mijatovic we cannot talk to anyone who has a contract," he told Reuters.

"But if we need a new coach and Schuster sorts things out with Getafe then I imagine Mijatovic will look at him.

"But Mijatovic has also talked to me about (Ronald) Koeman, (Michael) Laudrup and (Arsene) Wenger."
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mr_weed_80@hotmail.com » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:11 pm

Steve Bruce is a typical example of why this makes no sense! While all the relegated teams were sacking their managers and having a clearout, birmingham stuck by Bruce, and now there back in the premiership

managers, like players, don't just lose their talents. and capello hasn't even failed, in many peoples eyes he has succeeded

all i can say is form is temporary, talent never leaves  :buttrock
mr_weed_80@hotmail.com

Postby Dundalk » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:27 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:

It doesn't surprise me.

The more you think about that the more of a joke that club becomes. Imagin we sacked Rafa the day after Istanbul

Madrid would do well to get anywhere near the semi finals these days
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrulz(lfc) » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:20 pm

Dundalk wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:

It doesn't surprise me.

The more you think about that the more of a joke that club becomes. Imagin we sacked Rafa the day after Istanbul

Madrid would do well to get anywhere near the semi finals these days

I think it is their habbit to sack the coach after winning the league because they don't want to win the league

HOW STUPID!
First Del Bosque got sacked and now Capello
liverpool till death
Redrulz(lfc)

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:35 pm

Real Madrids club structure is a joke, the expectations are astronomical and this goes to prove a man who won the league for Real after 3 or 4 trophyless years can still be considered a candidate for the sack, its a complete joke
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill