Uefa seedings upset jose

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Gen Ming » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:52 am

From http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050825/1/d5l6.html

Uefa seedings upset Jose
Thu 25 Aug, 7:37 AM

Jose Mourinho watched his side go top of the table and then hit out at Uefa for ranking them as second seeds in the Champions League draw.

The Portuguese coach is furious that Uefa rate his side lower than European champions Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United.

Advertisement
Mourinho finds it difficult to comprehend when the Blues have reached the last four of the competition in the last two seasons.

It means that Chelsea could find themselves placed in a group with the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid or AC Milan in the first phase of the tournament.

There is even the possibility of a rematch with Liverpool, who knocked them out in the semi-final last season, as the Merseysiders are not protected from the rule which bars teams from facing national rivals in the group stage.

Unhappy Mourinho moaned: "Chelsea have been semi-finalists twice in a row and are the champions of England.

"But we will be seeded second and that means we will face somebody big, big, big. Normally, if you are the top seeds you have it quite easy in the group phase so you can play and control the group from the start of September and what you need to do.

"But we are not top seeds and it means we are likely to play a team such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan or even Liverpool."

Uefa base the seedings on the results over the last five years which is the reason Mourinho finds his side second best.

But Juventus and Porto, who he guided to Champions League glory two seasons ago, are also in the same position as the Londoners.

"I have not studied the co-efficients and it is not for me to say if they are correct or not. But United are a top seed and so are Arsenal and Liverpool. Yet the champions of England are not. I know we will have a big team in our group. Because of this seeding it will be especially hard for us."
------------

How come Jose sounded like he dread facing us?  :p
Gen Ming

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:57 am

he's a tart
112-1077774096

Postby Judge » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:04 am

chelsea have never been champions of europe, so dont deserve to be seeded, plus their euro exploits have been few and far between, unlike liverpools, which have been numerous, and include many final victories.

so in essence, WE ARE BETTER...woohoo
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:16 am

knowing him, he's probably asked uefa for a 'special' group made just for chelsea. with his very own referee included!

the TART indeed  :no

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:10 am

Judging by their success in Europe, he is lucky to be in the second group and not the third. Porto and Juve are in the second group and they actually won it.

Jose should be thanking the stars not complaining.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:26 am

Why is the chelsea managers comments so interesting to some liverpool fans. ???

who cares what he says about his team.
109-1093441336

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:29 am

Ahhh... Poor widdle Jose wanna be in da first pot... ahhh. :D

Sorry Moroniho, but the first pot is reserved for true champions who really know how this game works. I still hope we don't get them in the groups, but I suppose the co-ef rates speak for themselves. And we've got a higher rating than the scum I believe!
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blur » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:35 am

He's a real whore for the media... Everyday we open the papers, there's at least one article abt him...

Wonder when the media will tire of the sound of his voice...
blur

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:56 pm

Must admit, imo, based on the last two seasons they deserve to be seeded above Arsenal and Man U.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:11 pm

according to UEFA coefficients, newcastle are above chelsea.

ah the irony :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Gen Ming » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:21 pm

Hmm... we are really facing Chelsea. Mourinho must have somehow foresee this.

-------
Group G
Team P W D L F A Pts
Liverpool (ENG)
Chelsea (ENG)
RSC Anderlecht (BEL)
Real Betis Balompié (ESP)
Gen Ming

Postby The Magician » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:34 pm

Likes to moan about anything and everything
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
The Magician

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:52 am

Must admit, imo, based on the last two seasons they deserve to be seeded above Arsenal and Man U.

No they don't. The seedings are based on club's run in the CL over the past five years. Chelsea did only well last season and the season before.

Jose Moaninho needs to do his homework a bit more on the subject.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:30 pm

Gen Ming wrote:From http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050825/1/d5l6.html

Uefa seedings upset Jose
Thu 25 Aug, 7:37 AM

Jose Mourinho watched his side go top of the table and then hit out at Uefa for ranking them as second seeds in the Champions League draw.

The Portuguese coach is furious that Uefa rate his side lower than European champions Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United.

Advertisement
Mourinho finds it difficult to comprehend when the Blues have reached the last four of the competition in the last two seasons.

It means that Chelsea could find themselves placed in a group with the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid or AC Milan in the first phase of the tournament.

There is even the possibility of a rematch with Liverpool, who knocked them out in the semi-final last season, as the Merseysiders are not protected from the rule which bars teams from facing national rivals in the group stage.

Unhappy Mourinho moaned: "Chelsea have been semi-finalists twice in a row and are the champions of England.

"But we will be seeded second and that means we will face somebody big, big, big. Normally, if you are the top seeds you have it quite easy in the group phase so you can play and control the group from the start of September and what you need to do.

"But we are not top seeds and it means we are likely to play a team such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan or even Liverpool."

Uefa base the seedings on the results over the last five years which is the reason Mourinho finds his side second best.

But Juventus and Porto, who he guided to Champions League glory two seasons ago, are also in the same position as the Londoners.

"I have not studied the co-efficients and it is not for me to say if they are correct or not. But United are a top seed and so are Arsenal and Liverpool. Yet the champions of England are not. I know we will have a big team in our group. Because of this seeding it will be especially hard for us."
------------

How come Jose sounded like he dread facing us?  :p

I think he's dead right.
Chelsea won the Premiership by a mile, and reached the semi finals two years running. Despite this, Euroflops Arsenal and Manchester (can't get to the quarters now the second group phase has been axed) United are.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:24 am

I think he's dead right.
Chelsea won the Premiership by a mile, and reached the semi finals two years running. Despite this, Euroflops Arsenal and Manchester (can't get to the quarters now the second group phase has been axed) United are.

The seedings are based on performances over five years not two. Secondly results in domestic league do not matter and therefore whether you won the league title or not, it does not matter when it comes to seedings. It's only based on what a team has achieved over the past two years.

Chelsea have made it further than Man Utd and Arsenal, however three years prior to Chelsea reaching the CL semi-final for the first time, Man Utd and Arsenal were miles better than Chelsea in the CL.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Return to Premiership - General Discussion