Time for united to axe ferguson

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:28 pm

Time for United to axe Ferguson

By Tommy Cassidy
sportseditor@belfasttelegraph.co.uk
12 March 2005

SO Liverpool are in the draw for the quarter finals of the Champions League. Amazing! I watched them last Saturday afternoon at St James Park against Newcastle and came away from the ground wondering how on earth they were even in the top half of the Premier league.

Yes, they were awful, no fight, no style, no method, no shape, absolutely dismal. Biscan, Smicer, Luis Garcia, Nunez and Pellegrino, where on earth did Liverpool unearth these guys, surely there are better British lads in the lower divisions than that lot I thought.

Benitez played 11 behind the ball most of the game and even in the last 15 minutes when they were one down they never even attempted to push on; they were completely devoid of ideas and I actually felt sorry for their magnificent supporters who had to endure a Liverpool side playing this way.

Roll on four days and they go and beat, admittedly a poor Bayer Leverkusen, 3-1 in Germany to reach the quarter finals of the Champions League ahead of the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Liverpool deserved it, they played well on the night, Gerrard was tremendous, they scored three goals and made a lot of people, myself included, eat their words.

There weren't many pundits who fancied Benitez and his team to reach the quarter finals and after last week's performance at Newcastle who could blame them but they're there and who knows?

Man United aren't there, Arsenal aren't there, and no wonder, weren't they shocking, and in both legs of their games at that.

United may be second in the Premiership but to be brutally honest they look like a team that needs a complete overhaul and that includes the manager.

I believe its time for Sir Alex to move over and let someone else come in and freshen up this great club both in ideas and personnel.

They aren't the United of a few years back, nowhere near it in fact. The two performances against AC Milan were pitiful at times, the Italians completely overran them in all departments and if Sir Alex was managing anyone else he would have been out by now after all the money he's spent over the past couple of seasons and with very little to show for it.

These top bosses are judged on European success in today's game, that's where the big money is, and Ferguson hasn't produced, has he?

At the San Siro on Tuesday night United were a shadow of their cup winning side of '99, a pale shadow at that. Scholes and Keane have their best days behind them, they weren't at the races.

Arsene Wenger certainly hasn't done it in Europe, his record is abysmal there, and against Bayern it didn't get any better.

Arsenal were woeful. Their passing was dreadful, their whole game has deteriorated so much, they are unrecognisable from that beautiful team of last season.

The Germans were so superior all over the pitch, Vieira has lost the plot, Flamini never had it, Reyes was incidental, Bergkamp invisible, and only Henry showed any spark, his goal was absolutely outstanding. Bayern could go on and win it.

I'm leaving Chelsea to last. What a game that was. Three brilliant goals in the first 19', great movement in all three, lovely passing, Chelsea were awesome, then the best player in the world took over.

Ronaldinho's second goal rates amongst the greatest I've seen, ever, what skill, what awareness, what class.

Barcelona had most possession, weaved pretty patterns but Mourinho has his players drilled, disciplined, and though there were a couple of near things they never relented.

Lampard was phenomenal, Terry world class and even Joe Cole looked like he could eventually get into those brackets, he was top drawer.

Cech did as he's done all season and overall the West London side deserved to go through.

Barca were pretty on the eye but hadn't enough at the end of the night.

Yet again, Mourinho's tactics were spot on.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:14 pm

In 3 hours they could also be out the F.A. cup :p
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion