RAHEEM STERLING - Official Thread

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Pig Catcher » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:21 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:57 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 am wrote:he definately needs to work on his ball retention and his passing like, i`m not arguing with you there, i`d say he loses the ball almost half the time he recieves it, if not more.
as stu says as well i must admit i was expecting him to be a better dribbler, in the U21`s he was a bag of tricks but maybe he`s been told to tone down the flashy stuff by rodgers now he`s in the prem.
when i first saw sterling i thought we might have the next ryan giggs on our hands but the way he`s shaping at the moment he`s developing into more of a shaun wright-phillips type of player that produces moments of brilliance very sporadically.
but as i said the one thing he has got on his side is time and he has got a lot of natural ability so it`s a bit early to write him off yet.
he deffo needs to get his head down and work on his game though, most fans already seem to rate jordan ibe higher than raheem

He's a bag of tricks against players who aren't good enough to get in their club sides or playing against under 21's from Sweden and the likes, who'll never be premier league standard footballers.

He's a league one player maybe championship mate.

I used to think he was another Shaun Wright-Phillips so very strange you mention him... unfortunately, he's no where near that good even

Ladies and gentleman..............Stu The "I know a good player when I see one" Red.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:22 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:59 pm wrote:Actually here's a good example... lets see if his touch ever improves or he his technical ability.

By 25 he'll have found his level. Which will be championship at best.

Stu  :D
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Well had to get one wrong and his performances were shocking at the time also, funnily enough I wasn't the only one either.

Not a bad record though, one in ten years.

And at least I have the conviction to voice my opinion instead of sitting on the fence all the time.

By the way, he still has a dodgy first touch :;):
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby sniffy98 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Love Sterling. He is strong for his size, quick with and without the ball, determined and a constant threat. I hope he improves his passing at times which is still a bit erratic. I knew he had a great shot at making it big the moment he hit that amazing hat trick for the reserves a few years ago.
sniffy98

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:30 pm

Sterling has improved a heck of a lot these past 18 months. In fact, if he continues, he'll be world class in a year or two.

However, we should keep him tied to the club with a new deal...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Needs to adapt his game to bring others into play more readily ,and his crossing has been poor this season ,a world away from being
'World Class just yet  ,but if he stays grounded and accepts the criticism surrounding his final ball then he could evolve into one of
the most exciting players we have seen at Anfield.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Red the lad is a winger, not a number ten. His final ball and touch isn't always the best but from out wide his movement is exceptional and he also has the ability to get in behind and score goals, for me he's been playing ear to deep this season
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:49 am

I agree with Stu, he is much more a winger. Coutinho is a far better bet as a number 10.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:52 am

Liverpool close to tying Raheem Sterling to new contract at Anfield ( By Chris Bascombe 10:30PM BST 05 Oct 2014)

Negotiations between player's representatives and Liverpool to begin in the next two weeks with clause in original agreement set to trigger new talks

Raheem Sterling is on the verge of activating a new Liverpool contract, with negotiations between his club and representatives taking place in the next fortnight.

Sterling, who created the winning goal for Jordan Henderson in Liverpool’s 2-1 victory against West Bromwich Albion, signed his last deal in 2012 into which a clause was inserted triggering fresh discussions once the teenager made his 90th appearance for the club.

Sterling played his 87th Liverpool game on Saturday but Ian Ayre, the chief executive, made an initial approach to the player’s agents two weeks ago and a meeting will be held early shortly.

Brendan Rodgers said there was an eagerness from all parties – the club, the player and his representatives – to create a framework ensuring Sterling is rewarded as his career progresses.

Indeed, Rodgers is “adamant” that Sterling is keen to stay at Anfield, while any suggestion Liverpool have been stalling regarding a new contract is invalidated by the clause in his current deal. That explains why there has been such a relaxed attitude to the situation.

Following recent adverse publicity, Rodgers felt compelled to praise Sterling’s representatives because he believes the matter is being handled professionally.

“Ian Ayre has spoken with his representatives and he is quite relaxed,” Rodgers said.

“The club is dealing with the agent so everything is calm and the boy is remarkably happy here and there are no secondary thoughts about anything else other than continuing to play for Liverpool.

“Also, he wants to continue with his development because he still has a lot of growth and for that the best place for him to be is here. His representatives respect that and the club respects that. So that will get sorted out in time.”

Asked if Sterling has given the impression he wants to stay, Rodgers was emphatic. “Yes. Absolutely adamant,” he said. “I don’t think there is anything other than that. His agent is a good agent and he understands this is the perfect place for him.”

After his blistering start to the season, Sterling has endured some difficult moments over the last few weeks – not least in Basle last week.

The youngster also missed the kind of opportunity he would normally guzzle up at the weekend, but Rodgers was quick to point out the teenager never fails to contribute, even when his wizardry is not always at its most eye-catching.

“It’s tough for him,” Rodgers said. “I’ve been trying to protect the kid not just from performances but from headlines. People try to write him off because he’s tired, but he put in an incredible shift in this game.

"He’s going to have good games and he is going to have games where he is not going to set the world alight but one thing about Raheem is that he will always give 100 per cent.”

Such perseverance was the hallmark of a Liverpool victory based on tenacity rather than fluency, but several grades up from what they have been producing in the last few weeks. Adam Lallana ran the first half and put Liverpool ahead.

The imperious Henderson – such a description is increasingly common now – repeated the trick in the second. Referee Michael Oliver had threatened to leave his mark on the fixture when he mistakenly awarded a penalty for Dejan Lovren’s foul on Saido Berahino outside the box, converted by the West Brom striker.

Mario Balotelli was left out for Rickie Lambert, but both those strikers will see Daniel Sturridge’s eventual return as a help rather than threat to their place. Neither is suited to a lone forward role. Balotelli’s cameo was quite encouraging, assisted during the last 20 minutes by Steven Gerrard reacquainting himself with the No 10 position he filled with such aplomb in 2009.

Liverpool moved from being anxious to composed in possession. It was a waltz down memory lane by the captain, and a sign that while the manager intends persevering with Gerrard in the deeper ‘controlling’ role at the start of fixtures, he reserves the right to relocate him during periods of heavy midfield bombardment.

Gerrard still has the capacity to make strikers look better than they are. Ask Fernando Torres.

“For people playing alongside Steven Gerrard it’s a privilege,” Rodgers said. “He is world class and makes the game look simple. Mario knows he is playing with one of the greats of the game. Steven can feed a guy who needs certain types of passes.

“If I was to be asked about the profession of football and define a footballer, it would be Steven Gerrard in every capacity; how he trains, how he works, how he handles everything, the respect he shows for his manager, how he performs, humility in everything he does.”

Alan Irvine, whose side look more likely to compete for the top 10 than repeat last year’s relegation scrap, agreed.

“Anybody that says his legs have gone needs to have a look at how he chased Cristian Gamboa down the wing and he stayed with him,” Irvine said. “He is a great player, has been for many years and will continue to be.”
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Good attacking players thrive of world class attacking players. Surround Sterling with the right quality and he will be lethal. Surround him with average players or put him in the wrong system and he won't be as effective
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:52 pm

he's still very young and has plenty of time to grow into his own shoes but i agree that not having a few bigger pairs around is hampering his game. he went from being a young kid breaking through and operating in the shadow of one of the best about to carrying the expectations of a frustrated fanbase in suarez's absence.
far too much pressure for him so early in his career and it could have been lessened through better signings.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:37 am

Raheem Sterling: Liverpool midfielder Sterling to sign new five-year contract

Raheem Sterling will sign a new contract to secure his long-term future at Liverpool. The deal will see the 19-year-old England forward paid £125,000 a week.

The club intend to tear up his existing £43,000-a-week deal and replace it with a five-year contract, bringing to an end speculation linking him with a host of European clubs including Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid.

Sterling’s advisors, Impact Sports Management, have been immersed in negotiations with Liverpool’s chief executive, Ian Ayre, and while neither side has been in a particular rush to push through an agreement, they both accept that the interest from other clubs is fuelling unwanted speculation.

Sterling’s decision to remain at Anfield for the foreseeable future will not come entirely as a surprise. Sterling has never intimated he was interested in leaving Liverpool despite being flattered by interest from rivals.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers always maintained that Sterling would pledge his future to the club and laughed off claims there was any chance he could be lured away.

Asked if Sterling would stay, Rodgers said: “Yes. Absolutely adamant. His agent is good and he understands this is the perfect place for him.
Read more: Liverpool not relying on Champions League money
Carragher goes to gym, ends up at Liverpool's training ground
Hodgson sticks by youth, aware he may not reap rewards

“It’s not a big issue for us. Ian Ayre has spoken with his representatives and he is quite relaxed. The boy is happy here, there are no secondary thoughts about anything else other than continuing to play for Liverpool.

“He must continue with his development because he still has a lot of growth and for that the best place for him to be is here.”
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:48 am

That's great news, Raheem has probably been the best young player in Europe over the past 12 months and we couldn't afford to lose another talent straight after losing Suarez.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:10 pm

if he's happy and isnt thinking of leaving then i dont see why his wage has to triple  :no  from 43 a week to 125 is an awful jump for a young lad who imo doesnt deserve it as he still has a way to go. 80k would have been better and leaves room for renegotiation in about 18 months.
i am happy that he has signed a new deal but dont think its any indication of him being here long term. these contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on and if a player wants out he will eventually get it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:43 am

Apparently he asked to sit out the Estonia match due to fatigue. An odd request for a lad his age.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion