Rafael benitez - Miracle or myth?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Dazzer wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:Stone cold facts and it's a well written post, it's been put on the forum a couple of times already. I'm not sure it's necessary to "argue against it" really, as it simply confirms the fact that we've outspent both Manchester United and Arsenal since Rafa has been the manager of Liverpool. Nothing wrong in that, it just means that the excuse of spending restrictions isn't valid.

Anyway that's not the point of this thread. This thread is to discuss the achievements and record of Rafa Benitez throughout his career, in much the same way as the Mourinho one is to discuss his career. I must confess I didn't know Rafa got sacked from his first two clubs and then got relegated with his third, and this thread is about that kind of thing, as well as abviously his excellent record at Valencia and Tenerife.

You'll never get it, will you? You just look at the words, jumble the letters up in your mind and create whatever statement you want to see.

It's mind boggling that you can be this incessant over something you are so obviously entirely wrong about.

Oh, and for the record, Rafa got his 3rd team promoted then went back down with them - you simple-minded nitwit.

But mick is right not that he needs me saying so just wanted to point out he is right.O did I say he is right ?  ???

Who exactly are you? What makes him right?

Is it because he agrees with the horse sh*t that leaves your fingers every time you type, or is it because he, too, doesn't like me?

Gimp.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:16 pm

stmichael wrote:It's no wonder that a lot of people can't stand sky when they print figures like this:

What a load of nonsense. The combined cost of Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson, Valencia, Carrick, Rooney, Berbatov alone comes close to that £140 million figure.  That's without even mentioning VDS, Evra, Vidic and the likes.

Cant see the pic
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Im guessing this thread has been started as some sort of comparison towards Maureen.

Not necessarily a comparison Ben, but I did think the Mourinho thread shed some new light on a few common misconceptions. I like to think it actually caused one or two people to revise slightly their opinion of him, new facts do that.

I thought from my own perspective it might be informative to dig a little deeper into the Rafa benitez story. People often tell me on here he is one of, if not the best manager in the World. I think digging into his record may shed a little more light onto those claims. Over the next few weeks I'll look a little closer at how he performed at the various clubs he's been at. Not just the two clubs at which he has been sacked and the club he got relegated with, but also at his success stories as well, Valencia, Tenerife etc etc. I do it because for some unknown reason such things interest me, and obviously people have the choice whether or not they choose to read it. Needless to say if anyone disagrees with any of the information I dig up, please say so and I'll research it again.

Not a pro or anti thread though, simply a point of reference. Similar in that sense as you say to the Mourinho thread.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:44 pm

You know it will turn into a pro and anti thread about Rafa - its too big a beacon .
Benny The Noon

Postby Number 9 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:42 pm

Mmnnnn......deffo going the way of a Mourinho w@nkfest this thread...it even has the same title as one apart from swapping Rafas name with the "special ones"

Just save yourself the time Micky.....just start a thread saying Rafa sucks and Jose rocks and be done with it!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:35 am

When he won the title with valencia the other teams played fairly shyte and he drew alot of games aswel.. I remember i posted that somewhere last year..
the challengers lost 7-10 games.

So who knows maybe if that happens in the premiership we are in with a shout!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:33 am

No reason for anybody on this thread to talk about any other manager (especially Mourinho), this thread is about Rafael Benitez and Rafael Benitez only.

As I said earlier, he began his career at Real Valladoid. He only won two out of his first 23 matches however, and was sacked with Valladoid rock bottom of the table. Rafa was succeeded by Vincente Cantatore who immediately turned the fortunes of the club around. In the remaining 19 matches, Valladoid won 9 of them. The miraculous revovery was complete by the end of the season and they climbed up to 16th, well clear of relegation (there were 22 teams in the league back then). In actual fact, one more point could have seen them climb as high as twelth such was their dramatic recovery. Rafa in the meantime went and took over at Ossusuna.

The following season Valladoid continued their improvement,  building on their recovery in the second half of the previous season. They finished 7th in La Liga, qualifying for the UEFA Cup.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Are you going to give any context?
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:51 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Are you going to give any context?

Suffice to say that both Osasuna, Extremadura (who I don't even know in which category are these days), Valencia and needless to say Tenerife regretted to lose Rafa on hindsight.

That would be the context I'd provide, because no matter what Spanish coach you analyse you'll see how they've been sacked a few times, the context is Spain, a country in which blip means sack.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yolz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Rafa gets so much stick because he's the Manager of Liverpool IMHO
In any other club other than the Big 4, He'll be a legend
It's been a long long long wait for that elusive premiership trophy,
far too long for a club with a history as rich as Liverpool
But try to take a step back and reconsider the entire situation
He's been the most successful Manager since King Kenny
And the Premiership has evolved so much since King Kenny's days as well
Now it's about the money
You just can't mount a serious challenge without spending at least 50 million each season to try and catch up with Chelsea or Manure
Take a look at Arsenal, even with the tested and proven Wenger, with the club on a strict financial control,
they had to sell to buy players, with hardly any money poured in like City
Hence their failed attempts at the title challenge for the past seasons
Rafa brought us so close in the previous season
All teams need a certain amount of luck to win the title
I say we stick by Rafa
He made us 5 times the Kings of Europe for Fark's sake
He's brilliant, and we're only going to miss him if we don't have the patience to allow him to get his master plan into fruitation
Let's pray those 2 Yankees get out asap instead
Last edited by yolz on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby heimdall » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:06 pm

yolz wrote:Rafa gets so much stick because he's the Manager of Liverpool IMHO
Now it's about the money
You just can't mount a serious challenge without spending at least 50 million each season to try and catch up with Chelsea or Manure
Take a look at Arsenal, even with the tested and proven Wenger, with the club on a strict financial control,
I say we stick by Rafa
He's brilliant, and we're only going to miss him if we don't have the patience to allow him to get his master plan into fruitation

Is it brilliant to continue playing Kuyt instead of Bennayoun or to continue playing 4-5-1 with a young inexperienced striker?

Is it brilliant to sign players like Degan, Voronin and Dossena?

is it brilliant to continue playing Lucas and Mascha in midfield when they are perhaps the two least creative midfielders in the league?

Rafa is lucky to have survived 5 years, even luckier to have been handed an extension for another 5 years, he will never ever win us the league unless it is bought for him.
heimdall

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:08 pm

We may unfortunately have to find that out the hard way :(
account deleted by request

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:13 pm

bigmick wrote:Rafa's first attempts at coaching away from the youth and B teams of Real madrid was at Real Valladoid in the 95/96 season in the Spanish Primera Division. After 23 games Real Valladoid were bottom of the league and had won only two matches, leading to Rafa being sacked.

In the 96/97 season, Rafa took over at Ososuna in the Spanish Segunda Division. Once again they showed little patience, and after one win in his first nine matches Rafa was sacked. He did though meet Pako Ayesteran who as we know he went on to form a partnership with.

In 1997, Rafa joined another second division team, Extremedura. He led them to second in the table, behind Deportivo Alaves (who we beat in the UEFA Cup final if I'm not mistaken). Extremedura finished second by virtue of winning 23 out of 42 games. Unfortunately, Extremedura only survived one season in the Primera division however, and were relegated in 1999 after losing a play off. Rafa quit and took a year off being a manager, studying in England and Italy. He also worked as a commentator for Eurosport and local Madrid TV.

In 2000 he was appointed coach of Tenerife, and led them to third place in the table, getting them promoted. In 2001 Rafa was appointed coach of Valencia, replacing Hector Cuper. Valencia had reached the Champions League final in each of the two previous seasons, and the team Rafa took over included such illuminaries as Santiago Canizares, Roberto Ayala, Ruben Baraja, David Albelde, Vicente and Pablo Aimar. More attacking tactics than his predecessor saw Valencia land their first title in 31 years. Deportivo La Coruna were second.

The following season was disappointing, as Valencia failed to follow up the previous season. They finished finished fifth, eighteen points behind the Champions Real Madrid. Valencia bounced back the following season though, and won the league again as well as the UEFA Cup, beating Marseilles in the final. At this point Rafa fell out with the director of Sport, Jesus Garcia Pitarch and left joining Liverpool.

And from there, he is writing his history with us....

Michael can you still see the R on your keyboard or is it fading along with the A and F from over use   ?  just a thought  :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby yolz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:13 pm

heimdall wrote:
Now it's about the money
I say we stick by Rafa

Is it brilliant to continue playing Kuyt instead of Bennayoun or to continue playing 4-5-1 with a young inexperienced striker?

is it brilliant to continue playing Lucas and Mascha in midfield when they are perhaps the two least creative midfielders in the league?

Rafa is lucky to have survived 5 years, even luckier to have been handed an extension for another 5 years, he will never ever win us the league unless it is bought for him.

Well playing Kuyt in a derby seems like the right move IMHO
Especially against the biters when it gets more scrappy
As for his tactics recently, I never thought I'll see the day Rafa doesn't stick to his rotating policy,
given how stubborn he can be
The jury's still out on this one for me
If through his bad misjudgement tactically and we don't even get the 4th spot, I might just have to give Rafa a good shake and thank him for all he's done but now the time has come for someone else to take over  the reins
I just think it'll be better to asses the situation after the Christmas break
As for his signings, I still stick to my opinion that he's done a class act overall
Well he did sign Torres, Alonso and Masher too
The man did make us the kings of Europe once, brought us to the finals twice, and almost always qualified for the later stages
Being second was such a heart-breaking experience last season
And I hoped in my heart that we'll do one better this season
Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case
I just think sacking him now is a little too premature
Come January, if things don't turn around and the reason for that is mostly Rafa, he should step down, but calling for his head now might be too early IMHO
Last edited by yolz on Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:18 pm

heimdall wrote:
Now it's about the money
I say we stick by Rafa

Yossi has been injured and when he hasnt he has been playing instead of Reira who has been injured

Ngog has been playing due to Torres been injured

Masher and Lucas has been playing due to gerrard/aqualini both been injured

Every manager has made duff buys - at least it wasnt nearly 30 million for one player like both Man Utd and Chelsea have recently .

Rafa has deserved to have 5 years and deserves more .
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion