Owen to the mancs?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby grayghost » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:22 pm

Id take owen any day him and SG had a telopathic link got alonso as well and the goals will flow
grayghost

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:42 pm

I didn't want to bring this up for fear of being called Welsh Jonny Wizzard. But for what it's worth, my usual sources who got me all the information last time has heard murmurs about a clause in Owen's contract that he can leave if Newcastle finish below a certain position in the league. 

Nothing major about that little nugget really but let's just see what happens this summer.
jonnymac1979

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:45 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:I didn't want to bring this up for fear of being called Welsh Jonny Wizzard. But for what it's worth, my usual sources who got me all the information last time has heard murmurs about a clause in Owen's contract that he can leave if Newcastle finish below a certain position in the league. 

Nothing major about that little nugget really but let's just see what happens this summer.

He has clauses in his contract that state if a CL club comes in for him he can talk to them, so if Fergie wants him, he will be allowed to talk to him.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:17 pm

I'm fairly sure Owen is trying to engineer a move away from Newcastle. He's due back from injury soon and he's already on a collision course with Freddie Shepherd about playing for England against Brazil.

I do have a lot of sympathy with Newcastle over Owen in that its clear the guy values his England place and the England goalscoring record over his club career. I can understand Newcastle being cross that they've paid so much money for him yet have got precious little return.

However, they cannot say that they didn't know what they were buying when they paid funny money for him.

Owen is a class act but questions must be raised about where his real loyalties lie (IMHO he and Beckham always had more interest in playing for country over their club) and since he was a teenager he has always struggled to get a full season of football out of his body. Ironically, the only season I can remember him being fully fit was when he was at Real Madrid, and he looked on fire that year as a consequence, yet Real were too dumb to play him week in, week out.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:34 pm

To be fair if the mancs come in with a bid of £12m I think we all know what the outcome is going to be.

Glenn Roeder doesn't strike me as the type of guy who knows what's going on at his football club anyway. I'm not convinced he'd be in the know. Especially when you consider what sneaky f#ckers both Owen, Shepherd and the Mancs are. I mean he deosn't even appear to know what's going on out there on the pitch!!!

I remember Sir Bobby in his book said Shepherd had been offering Bowyer around without even telling him!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:10 pm

There's talk up here now about Houllier to Newcastle next season.

Personally I don't believe it because Fat Freddy is incapable of such an intelligent move.  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:54 pm

I hate the whole Owen saga . He was one of my favourite ever Liverpool players . I still think his going to Madrid (and so cheaply) was a monumental c'ock up by our board . They failed to thrash things out when they should have done and left themselves in a position where they had to let him go at a bargain basement price . That price incidentally also impacted on our failure to resign him , there was no way they could let themselves look like mugs by resigning him for twice what they sold him for . Truth is on this issue they were f'ucking mugs from start to finish.

Newcastle are saying he's not going anywhere , but if they are interfering with his availability for England, Owen like many players would want away . I heard he has a £12mill buyout clause in his contract, I also heard a rumour (and it was only a rumour) that our new owners were well aware of Owen and had asked Rafa about the possibility of getting him back. I've no idea what Rafa's response was . :D
Last edited by woof woof ! on Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby grayghost » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:46 pm

If you gave me the option of getting Owen for 12mil proven goal scorer who in the liverpool of today will get 20 goals easy or getting Eto/Villa who proberly would be good don't get me wrong but there unproven in england just like Morientes was. ad take Owen makes finacial sense he would have to admit he was wrong for leaveing mind you.
grayghost

Postby tithead » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Maybe we're buying him to keep Saha company in the physio room.

Nah seriously though, I wouldn't take him, good player, but not a team player.
tithead

Postby red37 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:24 pm

tithead wrote:Maybe we're buying him to keep Saha company in the physio room.

your fellow 'fans'  ???  are nothing short of an absolute disgrace to the game. Not the first time you will have heard it levelled against the club you follow. But how un-original can you get!

Honest to god, they are a joke with their recycled vicious songs.

Heaven help the common man in the street who bumps into them singing some of the disgraceful splurge thats blurted out by these morons, thats all im saying.  Id do time again if it were me mate.   :angry:

as for Owen - f.uck him.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:28 am

How can any sane human being even consider buying Owen this summer when the chances are he won't be the same player ever again?

The simple, inescapable fact of the matter is this:

Owen's game relies largely on pace over both long and short distance. It's what gets him into the right positions faster than the defenders, and gives him the chance to score the goals.

Well - the injury he is currently coming back from invariably affects pace, and he will never EVER be as fast as once he was. Chances are, it's had a similar effect as Robbie's. (Even though Robbie's injury was much worse.)

Let the p*ss-eyed Scottish windbag sign him, let his alcohol-fuzzled brain make another boob in the transfer market, and let's us go for the real gem - David Villa.

Owen would never be happy here, as the little tw*tbag can't accept rotation.

On a side note, JBG mentioned that Owen only had the one season injury-free, which was at Real. He also said something along the lines of "Real were too dumb to play him".

Well - chances are, the reason he stayed fit was BECAUSE he hardly played.

The lad's a liability at the prices bandied about.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:30 pm

ATP

Mystery Surrounds Owen Comeback
Wed 18 Apr

Michael Owen's much-anticipated comeback from knee surgery has become clouded in doubt and confusion amid claims that Newcastle are deliberately delaying his return because of their ongoing dispute with the FA.

Owen was expected to feature in Tuesday night's reserves match against Middlesbrough but was withdrawn on Monday night due to an unspecified 'precaution'. Glenn Roeder's angry insistence that "any talk of him having a setback is complete and utter rubbish" has only added to the mystery.

The Toon have threatened to seek an injunction preventing Owen for playing for his country again until the FA agree to pay the medical bill for his nine-month recuperation from the knee injury inflicted at last summer's World Cup. The Guardian suggests that the cautious approach adopted by Roeder may have been 'encouraged' by Freddie Shepherd, the Newcastle chairman.

'Despite apparently being desperate to play at The Riverside and feeling he was more than ready for a first competitive game in 10 months, Owen was instead left to train alone, working with John Green, a southern-based rehabilitation expert,' the newspaper reports.

It is understood that, until Owen returns to first-team action, the FA's insurers will have to pay around £50,000 of the striker's wages.

Another factor in Newcastle's reluctance to field Owen are persistent reports linking the 27-year-old with a move out of St James'. As The Daily Mirror pointed out on Tuesday, 'The more games Owen manages this season, with four club matches and two England games ahead, the more likely he is to become a £12m target for Manchester United.'

The receding possibility of Owen being named as a substitute for this weekend's game against Newcastle also reduces the possibility of him playing for England this summer in Estonia. Having lost Owen for almost an entire season due to an injury suffered while on international duty, that diminishing likelihood will not be mourned by Newcastle either.

(worth a read)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:35 pm

People are entitled to their views on him personally but anyone who wouldn't want him back based on his ability has to be some kind of moron.

He's one of the greatest players this club has ever had, and we've had some greats, and we were lucky to have even seen him play for us.

Without him and Fowler through the late 90's and early 00's, I doubt we'd be a top four club today.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby grayghost » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:58 pm

How many times has Owen shoved the words of critics down there gobs. And for 12mil defo get him back
grayghost

Postby tithead » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:39 pm

red37 wrote:
tithead wrote:Maybe we're buying him to keep Saha company in the physio room.

your fellow 'fans'  ???  are nothing short of an absolute disgrace to the game. Not the first time you will have heard it levelled against the club you follow. But how un-original can you get!

Honest to god, they are a joke with their recycled vicious songs.

Heaven help the common man in the street who bumps into them singing some of the disgraceful splurge thats blurted out by these morons, thats all im saying.  Id do time again if it were me mate.   :angry:

as for Owen - f.uck him.

What's this about then?
tithead

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion