Man u vs wolves - The mismatch

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby shanklygates » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:17 pm

would you travel hundreds of miles and pay £42 to watch basically your 3rd squad, thats what wolves fans were saying on talk sport last night, i know i wouldnt.

on another note they were also saying the might have got a result out of united had they played their first team, somewhere in the game carrick and fletcher were the CB's, so maybe they could have.
shanklygates

Postby tubby » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Why on earth was there a thread for a manc game?
Last edited by tubby on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanklygates » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:46 pm

it wasnt so much about the mancs but more about wolves basically granting them 3 points.
shanklygates

Postby Greavesie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:41 pm

bavlondon wrote:Why on earth was there a thread for a manc game?

that was my first thought, remember last season when someone did it when we were chasing the league? that went horribly wrong  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:54 pm

shanklygates wrote:would you travel hundreds of miles and pay £42 to watch basically your 3rd squad, thats what wolves fans were saying on talk sport last night, i know i wouldnt.

on another note they were also saying the might have got a result out of united had they played their first team, somewhere in the game carrick and fletcher were the CB's, so maybe they could have.

That cant be right as Vidic scored so he must have been one of the centre halves.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:59 pm

shanklygates wrote:its actually in the f.a regulations that you have to play your strongest team where possible, so wolves still may be in trouble.

That rule is virtually impossible to follow through on though, as it would mean many teams were guilty of the exact same "crime" each week. I mean, if Rafa for example decides to rest Torres from begin on tonight (which by the way isn't even completely unrealistic) we would be guilty of it, seeing as N'Gog is nowhere near as good as Nando (well spotted, I know :D). Also, who is to decide if for example Insua is better than Aurelio or vice versa? It would probably depend on whom you asked/if one or the other was carrying a slight injury/form/something fourth. I think that rule is only there "for show"/as a precaution, ie if some team suddenly decided to play only 12 year olds instead of members from the senior squad (exaggerated example but you catch my drift).

Anyways long story short, I can't really be too arsed about this move by McCarthy. Dont get me wrong, I think it was the wrong move on their own part but there you go.
JamCar05

Postby shanklygates » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:31 pm

its not like that at all.

the f.a know torres problems this season and your talking of 1 player.

wolves made 10 changes...10

so that like playing..

reina
darby
kelly
skrtel
threlfall
benayoun
plessis
spearing
riera
ngog
pacheco

wolves kept their first choice keeper and the rest were reserves, and even lower than reserves if wolves fans comments on talk sport last night are to be believed.

so thats the kind of team you would see, cos thats our reserves with first choice keeper.
shanklygates

Postby shanklygates » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:32 pm

even that has a few first teamers in it so im being generous.
shanklygates

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:11 pm

I know it's ten players versus one but they were still senior players/first team members I pressume (can't be bothered to check up on Wolves starting lineup tbh :D)? The Torres one was only an example, my point is that the rule doesn't state anything specific about how many players you're allowed to change before it constitutes "not being your best team", ie you can always debate whether a starting lineup was the best or not - thus it would be virtually impossible to effectuate that rule, as teams could complain each time another team were resting players. Just to be clear I am WELL aware that Wolves by no means played their best team but neither does Ol' Whiskeynose nor Ancelotti every time. They just have better backups is all (and again I know they don't change EXACTLY ten players but the issue remains the same regarding the rule, ie sometimes they put out a weaker team and rest some players).
JamCar05

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:29 pm

I hope they get fecking relegated , shi.thouse tactics, McCarthy should of just phoned the league and said were not turning up , just give them the three points, see yeh satdee
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:32 pm

JamCar05 wrote:I know it's ten players versus one but they were still senior players/first team members I pressume (can't be bothered to check up on Wolves starting lineup tbh :D)? The Torres one was only an example, my point is that the rule doesn't state anything specific about how many players you're allowed to change before it constitutes "not being your best team", ie you can always debate whether a starting lineup was the best or not - thus it would be virtually impossible to effectuate that rule, as teams could complain each time another team were resting players. Just to be clear I am WELL aware that Wolves by no means played their best team but neither does Ol' Whiskeynose nor Ancelotti every time. They just have better backups is all (and again I know they don't change EXACTLY ten players but the issue remains the same regarding the rule, ie sometimes they put out a weaker team and rest some players).

basically a 'strongest' 11 is completely sybjective and will be defined differently according to anyone asked  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Exactly my point as to why it would be very difficult to actually effectuate such a rule :)
JamCar05

Postby Richj » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Hope they get 3 points deduction for it and he gets the sack. It had to be against them as well didn't it.
Richj

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:18 pm

He is not the first and wont be the last to do it - mc carthy has history for it and did it previously against the mancs
Benny The Noon

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:21 pm

After they despatched Spurs at WHL you'd have thought that the same eleven, or a good few of them anyway, were deserving of a crack at Old Trafford, particularly as the Manc's have had problems of their own. Tiredness and the risk of injuries no doubt played a part in Mccarthy's decision but had they been away to Burnely or Portsmouth instead of the Manc's, then you'd have seen key players making it into the starting lineup in spite of this and not back in Wolverhampton/on the bench.

This business of an FA regulation is a nonsense too. A decision like that under the circumstances tends to be bit of a one-off and simply reflects the realities of management and the differing priorities between clubs. Ferguson took a similar decision at the KC stadium last season and still won, even though it could have had a bearing on the future of one of the three teams in the relegation fight. Rafa's done it in the past late on in the season away to Fulham who were fighting to stay in the league under Lawrie Sanchez etc... etc..
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion