Fabregas - Overrated?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:15 am

Personally I think the lad is one hell of a player especially for the age of him, but I was reading in one of the daily papers this morning and it was an article saying how the Spanish can't see why he is considered excellent and they hold the belief that is it the English "overhyping" the young lad.

I think his passing in and around the box is excellent and I would love him at Liverpool. He isn't up there with Gerrard, Scholes or Lampard yet, but I feel he is well on his way to getting there.

Be interested to hear any Spanish views.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:18 am

I watched the Spain Russia again yesterday but this time with english comments.

I don't think he's underrated nor we don't see his quality, we just have a set of quality players that apparently the english journos don't know well and we appreciate them aswell.

Simple really. No one doubts the quality of Fabregas here, we all can see his verticality, his touch, how he likes to enter the box, his influence and his will.

But quite simply there are other players. Arteta not being in the spanish squad doesn't mean he's not well considered, but that there's a massive competition in the position that Fabregas plays.

Plus, let's not forget he's 21, calm down. As for him playing in Liverpool? His direct competitor would be Steven Gerrard me thinks, so I don't see that happening.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:29 am

He would never ever come to Liverpool, Wenger wouldn't have it and we don't exactly play his style of football - I can dream though.

Its funny though Sabre, here the English press cream themselves over Fabregas pretty much every game.

Agree you do have a lot of quality in that area - Iniesta for one is a fu.cking belter of a player.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:45 am

I'd definitely play Fabregas from the start in the final.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:02 am

No way is he over rated!
Hes a class act and to think hes still so young!He would be an asset to any team in world.I think the proof is in the pudding,look at the Euros.Every time he comes on for Spain he has added to there attack and generally put more pressure on the opposition,he just has the knack and vision to make things happen.I would choose him over Lampard any day and think hes a better player already.Not as good as Gerrard,but he still has the time on his side to add to his game.
I dont think we will ever see him at LFC or any other team in England though.

As for the Spanish press saying the English over rate him.That is to be expected.Every press in the world seem to favour their home based players for some reason.The English done it too.Look at the long it took Hargreaves to get respect when he was playing for Bayern,people could'nt accept him.Only after a lot of appearances and by being the best English player by a mile at the last world cup did he get his respect and recognition!

From what I have seen of what he brings to the Spain team I think Aragones is insane if Fabregas does not start the final.If Villa is injured he could start in behind Torres in  5 man m/f or if he is to stick with a 4-4-2  and start with Villa or Guiza alongside Nando, i still think someone should be dropped to accomodate Faregas.I may be wrong but i think Iniesta would be the obvious one to sit it out!
Sabre what do you think he should do with Fabregas in the final??
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:25 am

What will happen, what I want to happen, and what everybody thinks it will happen is that we'll play one striker Torres, with Fabregas behind him.

The quote of Aragones yesterday "You like it or not, we play better with one striker" says it all really.

We've only played two strikers because the form of Torres during the season and Villa's form has been so good. But it's time to recover the system of the last months.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 am

Sabre wrote:What will happen, what I want to happen, and what everybody thinks it will happen is that we'll play one striker Torres, with Fabregas behind him.

The quote of Aragones yesterday "You like it or not, we play better with one striker" says it all really.

We've only played two strikers because the form of Torres during the season and Villa's form has been so good. But it's time to recover the system of the last months.

Good stuff,the extra body in m/f will be needed against the physical Germas i reckon!And Nando is at his best in this role!
Will be interesting to see if the Germans match them man for man or go 4-4-2! :nod
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:36 pm

People in England seem to underrate Xavi for some reason, and can't see why he keeps Fabregas out of the team. I personally think he is an amazingly good player, better then Fabregas, at the moment that is.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:52 pm

Better? worse? what's the standard?

Is high tempo better than slow tempo?

I haven't definite answers for that. In my book higher tempo is not better than slow tempo nor viceversa, but in England high tempo and rythm is part of your football identity. I rather prefer to use high tempo or slow tempo at will!

For instance, in those games in which we crush against a wall once and again, instead of trying the same 3 things until one works out I'd use a slower tempo. Have your opposition  running after the ball and getting tired physically and mentally, be patient with the ball until you find the gap. That is, acknowledging that there are games for Gerrard and Torres in which those will win you the game, but acknowledge aswell that there are games in which you could use Alonso better.

But that's just me. My point, Xavi is better than Fabregas or viceversa depending on WHAT you want of the team. Fabregas against Italy could have been as uneffective as Arshavin was against us. Arshavin didn't forget about football against us, we just managed to mark him zonally with a simple rule: if the man of the zone loses the marking, the CB will be close enough to make a tackle. That's simple to say, but hard to do.

But if you look at that game ARshavin was only allowed to receive far from goal, otherwise he was chased by Senna (sometimes Ramos depending the zone). The 2 or 3 times that managed to lose Senna, Puyol and Marchena were there. Easy tactic, difficult implementation.

In a nut shell: I don't know telling you who's better Xavi or Fabregas, the answer would be: depending on the team.
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:04 pm

Alonso14 wrote:People in England seem to underrate Xavi for some reason, and can't see why he keeps Fabregas out of the team. I personally think he is an amazingly good player, better then Fabregas, at the moment that is.

Agree 100% with you there ALONSO.
I was at the Barca Vs. Lyon champions league match last year and was able to see first hand what Xavi is like on the pitch. It's not only his vision with the ball but his ability to move himself about the pitch into space whilst also seemingly orchestrating the whole of the attack around him that impressed me.
Fabregas is a cracking little player and at only 21 he will develop a similar ability thus becoming one of the best in the world in the coming years and certainly up there with Stevie G if not beyond.

I think the English press are just doing their usual act of building the player up and up just so that when he does have a bit of a down they can really knock him down. That is the difference here from the Spanish reaction to him.

Tomorrow in the final if Villa is definitely not gonna play then he must start in behind Nando a la Gerrard. With his vision and manipulation of the ball he should be able to split the slow German defence in two and allow Torres to put  them to the sword.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:53 pm

Number 9 wrote:No way is he over rated!
Hes a class act and to think hes still so young!He would be an asset to any team in world.I think the proof is in the pudding,look at the Euros.Every time he comes on for Spain he has added to there attack and generally put more pressure on the opposition,he just has the knack and vision to make things happen.I would choose him over Lampard any day and think hes a better player already.Not as good as Gerrard,but he still has the time on his side to add to his game.
I dont think we will ever see him at LFC or any other team in England though.

As for the Spanish press saying the English over rate him.That is to be expected.Every press in the world seem to favour their home based players for some reason.The English done it too.Look at the long it took Hargreaves to get respect when he was playing for Bayern,people could'nt accept him.Only after a lot of appearances and by being the best English player by a mile at the last world cup did he get his respect and recognition!

From what I have seen of what he brings to the Spain team I think Aragones is insane if Fabregas does not start the final.If Villa is injured he could start in behind Torres in  5 man m/f or if he is to stick with a 4-4-2  and start with Villa or Guiza alongside Nando, i still think someone should be dropped to accomodate Faregas.I may be wrong but i think Iniesta would be the obvious one to sit it out!
Sabre what do you think he should do with Fabregas in the final??

top post , can't agree more
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion