Carrick 15 million!? - Ridiculous.

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:58 am

Dont forget the Mancs got £12million off Chelsea for a player who never kicked a ball for them - Obi.
So then being raped by Spurs is probably not as bad as it could have been. I wonder if Spurs want a midfielder and a left back. Diao and Traore special offer, buy one get one free.
account deleted by request

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:05 am

dawson99 wrote:18.6 includes the bonus money for appearences etc etc. This is just a mad mad price. Think about what we spent on alonso and sissoko....

think fergie might have finally lost the plot?

Fergie has never been brilliant in the transfer market - probably it's his biggest weakness as a manager.  Of course he's had his successes like Keane, Schmeichel etc, but his overall record is poor.  He gets away with it because United have produced some excellent youth players over the years and they're a rich club who can afford to make mistakes in the transfer market.  They can also pay top dollar for players like Rooney and Van Nistelrooy who are almost guaranteed to work out.

Buying Carrick for such an inflated price shouldn't be that much of a shock to us.  He's young, English, flavour of the month, is playing for a team on the up and it's not the first time United and Fergie have grossly overpaid for a player.

Personally I'm not a massive fan of Carrick and I'm glad United have signed him.  He's not in the same class as our trio of central midfielders imo.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:58 am

Good on Tottenham and they also have Carricks replacement already bought in Zakora. So they've now got £18 million more to purchase a left winger and a right back. It's also good to see Man Utd getting ripped off. They've bought Carrick, yet have failed to sign a natural defensive midfielder who gets stuck in and that's something else they'll need to work on as well as finding a new striker. How Fergie can ask Rossi to carry Man Utd's title hopes on his shoulders at his young age is beyond me.
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:04 am

0asis wrote:How Fergie can ask Rossi to carry Man Utd's title hopes on his shoulders at his young age is beyond me.

Aye, you win nothing with kids :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:10 am

From what I've heard from a lot of Man Utd fans, Rossi seems like a great prospect. Rooney, Smith, Rossi and Saha and Solskjaer, doesn't seem like the most formidable strike force.
48-1119859832

Postby mitch22 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:28 pm

luvliverpool wrote:Keep wasting the funds Fergie..........that will do us nicely!!!!!

he losing his marbles happy days :buttrock  :buttrock
Liverpool are magic Everton are ..... :censored:
mitch22

Postby fowler4ever » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:59 pm

and we were debating if 6 mill for bellamy and 7 mill for pennant was good business,

hats off to fergie you total plank...........

the words "seen you coming" jump to mind.......... :buttrock
fowler4ever

Postby Alonso14 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:02 pm

People say that it’s too expensive, blah blah blah. We all know he would be expensive and we know Man Utd like a inflated price. But I’ll tell you that he will become one of the best midfielders in the Premiership, perhaps not reaching the levels of say Gerrard, but doing a mighty good job for them.

Don’t write them off before the seasons even started, it would be your biggest mistake.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:43 pm

I don't disagree that Carrick has potential and a decent player but £ 18.6 Million for a Defensive Midfielder ? ??? It smacks of a bit of panic buying if you ask me.

With the exception of Roooney who is a "No Brainer" in terms of transfer dealings Fergie has not bought particularly well over recent seasons which underlines just how fortunate he was to acquire youth team players in the 90's in the shape of Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and the Nevilles. Keane and Schmeical were masterstrokes but that was a LONG time ago. I very mucg doubt Carick will attain their level of ability or achievement ......
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:23 am

Dalglish wrote:I don't disagree that Carrick has potential and a decent player but £ 18.6 Million for a Defensive Midfielder ? ??? It smacks of a bit of panic buying if you ask me.

With the exception of Roooney who is a "No Brainer" in terms of transfer dealings Fergie has not bought particularly well over recent seasons which underlines just how fortunate he was to acquire youth team players in the 90's in the shape of Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and the Nevilles. Keane and Schmeical were masterstrokes but that was a LONG time ago. I very mucg doubt Carick will attain their level of ability or achievement ......

The thing is - when we look at Rudolph's transfer dealings, many more have been sh*te than good.

Schmeichel, Keane, Van Horseface, Spooney, and a few others.

Kleiberson, Tiabi, Djemmba-Djemba, Fortune, Smith, Blanc, Howard, Bartez, Veron, that Chinese gimp who never played, Silvestre (bag of sh*t, just better than the other bags of sh*t there.) Ferdinand (£30m for a CB - rip off), and about 75% of his other signings have been complete tosh.

I'd say Bright-boy has a shocking transfer success rate, but the fact that he managed to win a lot rendered his flops meaningless, whereas ours were costly.

Now the bread is buttered with a different kind of spread, the charmless c*nt will stuggle, I reckon.

£18.6m for Carrick.

Joke of the Century.

Man U not in decline? Joke of the f*cking Billenium.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:24 am

English prices are too much.  People cant complain about the lack of British players in sides when you have transfers like this.  Pompey bid £8.5 mil for Curtis which was turned down which again was a joke.

Ferguson is crazy.  I can see why Lyon want £25 mil for Diarra when Carrick goes for £18.6 milllion.  I would rather pay the bit more for Diarra.  Their are plenty proven holding CM players who have competed in Champions League's, WC's etc who would cost less than Carrick did.

As for Fergie.  I read he was offered John Barnes for £900k and refused which he later regretted. lol.
puroresu

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:29 am

mascherano's agent was at old trafford the other day. he's the kind of player they really need so i hope it doesn't happen.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:25 pm

Carrick for £18.6M or Patrick Viera for a third of the price ?

Thats a no brainer.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:34 pm

Dalglish wrote:I don't disagree that Carrick has potential and a decent player but £ 18.6 Million for a Defensive Midfielder ? ??? It smacks of a bit of panic buying if you ask me.

That's just it Carrick isn't what I'd call a holding player. He's much more in the mould of Alonso who makes things happen, by passing willy nilly. Carrick doesn't get stuck in and isn't in the ilk of players like Roy Keane, Makelele, Hamann, Sissoko etc.

Man Utd will need to buy someone in the ilk of Roy Keane, who will break down play and protect the back four. They'll also need to replace Ruud Van Nistelrooy as well.

Some how I can safely say if United don't sign a new striker and a defensive midfielder then I can't see them mounting a serious title challenge.
48-1119859832

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:31 pm

i do agree that 18.6 million is a hell of a lot of money for carrick, and comparing that to the price we paid for sissoko we got an absolute BARGAIN!
however, you've got to take into account that (As was said before) Utd got 12 million for a player who didnt even kick a ball for them in Obi Mikel.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion