Buying players to stop other teams improving - Are chelsea doing this?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:12 am

I think just as  damaging as Chelsea actually buying players that other top teams are after, is the rumour that Chelsea are after a player. The selling club immediately expects a huge mark up in the players value and the player starts dreaming of the astronomical wages that Chelsea might pay him. Negotiations with other clubs is thereby hindered by both the selling club and the player delaying and holding out in the vain hope that Chelsea will actually make an approach. The prospective buyers then have to start looking for alternative players only to find that again Chelsea "are rumoured to be interested".Liverpool seem to be a particular favourite of Chelsea's in using this ploy. Joaqin, Simao, Kuit etc.
           Its similar in a way to the technic R.Madrid use when trying to buy a star player. First they spread a rumour that they are going to make a bid for a player (usually about twice what the player is worth). This makes the star players team consider actually selling the player. The player then becomes unsettled as his club dont turn them down flat. By the time R. Madrid actually make an offer its usually for less than the players worth, but by this time the player is desperate to move and the club are placed in the position of trying to keep a player who is unhappy or selling at a price they wouldnt have contemplated earlier.
account deleted by request

Postby el_stinger » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:40 am

weringo wrote:I dont get how quality players like Cudacini, Crespo and SWP are content to sit on the bench for so long. They must get a decent wage bill but wouldnt they rather play football now they have enough money for the rest of their life?

Crespo is not content sitting on the bench.

I guess it comes down to International appearences. If players are asked or struggling for games in order to make the International squad (Dudek comes to mind) then they will be making a fuss about not being fielded.

If they are in the outer in regards to their International career, then wages and other luxuries are accepted. Hence your maximum wage for minimum work sentance seems to make the most sense. I'd love to get paid a fat wage for bugger all work. Footballers are not immune to this either.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:45 am

0asis wrote:
ALONSO wrote:Do you think Chelsea are buying players they don't want to stop other teams improving their squad?
Ballack was linked with Man United
Simao they shown interest when we was after him
Jon Obi Mikel had just signed for Man United
SWP was linked with Aresnal
Dirk Kuyt suddenly they are interested

In that case we robbed Pennant because West Ham wanted him.

We Robbed Alonso because Real Madrid wanted him.

What a pointless topic.

Well west ham and real madrid arent our close rivals, and we're not trying to buy all of them 2 clubs' targets

Chelsea seem to watch their 3 main rivals and try to buy any big players they get linked with
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby koro » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:58 am

no... they just want too make sure the players they sign are dumb enough to be a bench warmer....  :D
koro

Postby Rafa D » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:52 am

0asis wrote:
ALONSO wrote:Do you think Chelsea are buying players they don't want to stop other teams improving their squad?

What a pointless topic.

I totally agree with you Oasis ( OMG what am I doing!!!).

We are Liverpool Football Club, I don't care about Chelsea, Stamford Bridge is where potential stars go to die.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:36 am

0asis wrote:

What a pointless topic.

I don't think it's a pointless topic at all.  The lad's trying to make a decent argument for Chelsea buying up their rivals' targets, which to be honest there is some evidence for.

I have no doubt that they signed SWP to stop us and Arsenal getting him, and this has been proven by how little he has played.  Their interest in Robben was also late as he was about to sign for United and the Obi-Mikel situation was a disgrace.

Your suggestion that us going in for Pennant and Alonso is the same as what Chelsea are doing is fecking laughable and shows how daft you really are mate.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:47 pm

john craig wrote:
0asis wrote:

What a pointless topic.

I don't think it's a pointless topic at all.  The lad's trying to make a decent argument for Chelsea buying up their rivals' targets, which to be honest there is some evidence for.

I have no doubt that they signed SWP to stop us and Arsenal getting him, and this has been proven by how little he has played.  Their interest in Robben was also late as he was about to sign for United and the Obi-Mikel situation was a disgrace.

Your suggestion that us going in for Pennant and Alonso is the same as what Chelsea are doing is fecking laughable and shows how daft you really are mate.

Couldnt agree more John, of course there is evidence to suggest that Chelsea are signing players to stop there rivals improving.
It is down to the players to show a bit more ambition and not be turned by the money, but to be fair i bet the majority of the players that Chelsea have signed have felt that they will hold down a regular spot in the side.
SWP was the best right sided player in the league the season before Chelsea signed him so he probably thought he would be a regular, its the powers that be at Chelsea that know exactly what they are doing imo, even with the likes of Simao i dont actually think they had a genuine interest, to me it seems like they were just throwing a spanner in the works for Rafa.
They can do all they like though tbh because we have a manager that is quietly assembling a brilliant squad with so many different options for team selection and to change tactics during games.
Could the special one work the same majic in those circumstances  :no

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:54 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
john craig wrote:
0asis wrote:

What a pointless topic.

Couldnt agree more John, of course there is evidence to suggest that Chelsea are signing players to stop there rivals improving.
It is down to the players to show a bit more ambition and not be turned by the money, but to be fair i bet the majority of the players that Chelsea have signed have felt that they will hold down a regular spot in the side.
SWP was the best right sided player in the league the season before Chelsea signed him so he probably thought he would be a regular, its the powers that be at Chelsea that know exactly what they are doing imo, even with the likes of Simao i dont actually think they had a genuine interest, to me it seems like they were just throwing a spanner in the works for Rafa.
They can do all they like though tbh because we have a manager that is quietly assembling a brilliant squad with so many different options for team selection and to change tactics during games.
Could the special one work the same majic in those circumstances  :no

Definitely.  Their 'interest' in Simao was certainly just to unsettle the player and turn his head away from us at the time.  Sounds like they're doing the same with Kuyt now.

It's dirt tactics all the time with Mourinho and Chelsea, but we've come to expect it.  Arneson, Ashley Cole, Frisk... the list of dodgy situations they've been involved in goes on.

Add to that Mourinho's inferiority complex where Benitez is concerned and clearly we're going to get the brunt of his venom.  Bring it on I say.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:32 pm

I havent actually read any papers today so havent heard about Chelsea being interested in Kuyt. If they are in for him now then it is laughable and tbh it is good to hear, because despite winning the league two years running and signing Ballack and Schevchenko they are obviously more worried about our club and potential signings, its a great time to be a Liverpool supporter and Mourinho can obviously see we are getting closer all the time.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:32 pm

Agents rather than Chelsea if you ask me.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:38 pm

Its a mixture of agents and chelsea. Whenever a team wants a player the name gets banded around to up the price. and chelsea would like players that we want as we are the biggest threat. the kuyt thing is bizarre, dunno why theyd want him apart from just for him not to go to us
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:48 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Agents rather than Chelsea if you ask me.

It is to an extent Luke but it wasnt agents that made Chelsea sign SWP and never play him, they knew that ourselves and Arsenal would of signed him so they made a ridiculous bid of 21 million, about 9 million over anyone else's valuation and he signed. He has sat on the bench and the lads career now is at a really awkward stage. Mourinho knew he had Robben Duff and Joe Cole already and imo signed SWP anyway just to prevent one of there rivals getting closer.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:52 pm

He needed 4 players for those 2 postions, he couldn't get Joaquin so he went for his next option, nothing to do with keeping him away from us or Arsenal.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:11 pm

I read a rumour section on the BBC Sports website that Ashley Cole has a minimum sell-on acceptance clause of 16 million pounds but it's 30 million for Chelsea, which was included in his contract extension last season. This is ludicrous as why should a player and his agent agree to such a contract extension when the player himself and/or his agent tried to get Chelsea to buy him in the previous summer. It goes to show that there iss always a different and much more hugely inflated transfer price for Chelsea.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite_1232002 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:36 pm

Chelsea enter Kuyt chase
29 July 2006

According to reports in England, Dutch striker Dirk Kuyt is one of the players targeted by Jose Mourinho, Kuyt who has been linked with many premiership clubs including Newcastle and Liverpool recently could well move to Chelsea under the feet of Newcastle and Liverpool.
kopite_1232002

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion