Ashley cole... - Why not test the water?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:43 pm

He has 2 years left on his contract, said he won't sign a new one with Arsenal and would definately be leaving the club.

I really believe we should get in there asap. I believe he'll have learnt his lesson over the tapping up scandal and i'd think he'd come a half decent price with Arsenal knowing he's they can't keep for long.

He's as good if not better than anything out there already.

I know a left back isn't our priority, when when a class player becomes available, sometimes priorities have to wait. I really can't see him going to Chelsea now and United in all truth probably don't need him and wouldn't go for him, so why not leave Arsenal to join the Europian Champions?

Sorry if av not worded propperly am a bit :censored:! :D
115-1073096938

Postby muttleyp » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:58 pm

Would be a great signing if we could afford him, but then theres the point he said he wont sign for another english team, so more than likely he will go abroad, but i would still bid for him.
muttleyp

Postby neilE » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:02 pm

worth a go - I think a left back is a priority - but I'd have my doubts about his commitment to LFC, given what he said
neilE

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:10 pm

As others have also said, he won't sign for another English club.

However I do agree that we should test the water in bidding for some higher profile players than we usually do.  We are European Champions right now (which gives us extra pulling power in the market), so if we want to push on and build on this, now is the time to buy some top players.  I seriously feel that this summer is our big chance to close the gap between us and the top 3 in terms of squad strength.  I expect Rafa to spend wisely
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:58 pm

He'd be a great buy and I think the left back position is a priority.  Just because he said he won't sign for another english club does not mean it will not happen (Alan Smith and Rooney have proved what how fickle footballers are).

It's a long shot but worth a try.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby looprevil » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:05 pm

If we waive the right amount of cash in front of him he'd sign.  Although I am not a fan when a player does not honour their current contract, they signed for a certain number of years and they should play it out no matter how good they get or what circumstances may have arived.  Now if the club think they suck or decide to sell then that's a different story but I don't like it when the players decide that just because they've had a good run of form suddenly they are worth so much more.  Just my thoughts.
looprevil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:09 pm

To be honest i never saw the part about him saying he wouldn't sign for another english club.

I don't agree left back is a priority though at all. People are only saying that because Traore plays there, i'm not interested in Traore, we have Riise, Warnock, Carragher and even Finnan all capable of playing there and are all quality players.

For me, Riise is the long term answer at left back, he's already third best in the league, he doesn't make the most of his attributes from this position which is something he needs to learn, he's definately not a winger, compare him to Robben or Duff and you'll see that, however if the chance to sign Cole did come up, then i think its a move we'd have to do as the lads a class player.

As John said, its also a chance to test the pulling power winning the champions league has, i'm not sure if it will make everyone want to play for us, but it won't hurt.
115-1073096938

Postby liamac » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:19 pm

Doesnt he want something like  70 grand a week at least ?  hell thats a lot for a left back whoever it is  and an arrogant  little  cockney sh.ite ???
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby muttleyp » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:06 pm

Personaly i think Risse should stay at left wing and we should sign a left back (Evra, Bridge or if we can get Cole) and leave Traore as back up to the first team until he learns how to distrubute properly
muttleyp

Postby Red Macgregor » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:12 pm

Riise & Traore will never cut it at left back. Cole would be a great signing!
But not worth £30m and carrying too much ego baggage.
Red Macgregor

Postby Paul C » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:19 pm

From TeamTalk:

Ashley Cole has given the clearest indication yet that he will leave Arsenal after launching a stunning attack on vice-chairman David Dein.

The England left-back, fined £100,000 for making an illegal approach to Chelsea, feels certain members of the Gunners board want him to go.

He is aggrieved by what he sees as a lack of support from manager Arsene Wenger and admitted: "I can't help feeling it's all over."

Arsenal were £5,000 short on Cole's wage demands of £60,000 a week to sign a new contract, but Cole insists his grievance is not now about money but a matter of "decency and the principle of treating people fairly".

If Cole does leave Highbury, it will not be to move across London to Stamford Bridge, however, with the player preferring a move abroad.

"I think it's a broken bridge that might be impossible to mend," Cole said of his position at Arsenal. "I blame David Dein for trying to force me out of the club I love. He didn't show me any respect and treated me like a little kid.

"I'm now convinced a section of the Arsenal board don't want me. They have left me feeling there's no way back, that they don't want me to ever put my beloved Arsenal shirt ever again," said Cole, who has two years left on his current contract.

"I get the impression they want me to go and I can't help feeling it's all over. I feel betrayed, confused and badly let down. It's hard to forgive. It's no exaggeration to say they have broken my heart."

Cole feels let down by Wenger, and told The News of the World: "I wish I'd had more support from Arsene. He should have been on my side more and I was upset at what he said in the papers.

"I won't sign for another Premiership club because I can't imagine myself playing against Arsenal. I would only want to play abroad.

"It's not about money, it's about decency and the principle of treating people fairly. Even though I knew many of my team-mates were earning much more than me, I never demanded equal pay."

So this confirms that he wants £65k a week and will not sign for another EPL club :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:56 pm

Wanted £60k per week but the board would only pay him £55k maximum. Not happy with that so entered talks with Chelsea. Its a whole chunk of change for a left back. Wont happen   :no
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:03 pm

Apparently they offered 60,000 a week before the trial, then once they heard the verdict withdrew the contract and offered a lesser amount.

Still, 60,000 a week for a top class player IN ANY POSITION is the going rate. At least.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:04 pm

The story I heard was that Arsenal originally offered him a contract believed to be in the region of 60-80K a week, but they then withdraw it, and now they are offering him much less.

I’m only speculating, but he doesn’t seem like the sort of money hungry type, it’s just the principle of it.

He won't be coming here, seems hell bent on moving abroad. Good luck to him.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:05 pm

I know, when he's one of the best LB's in the league and maybe Europe and Arsenal offer £55k, I'd be p155ed off too.

I have to be honest, I like the look of Warnock and thing he could really blosom with some first team football, he has a lot of potential!!!   :;):
Last edited by Paul C on Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion