Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Wed May 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm wrote:Why was it clearly a "committee decision" ?

What committee are you talking about ?

As its stated in Kennys book - Comolli asked Kenny if he would like Carroll as a replacement for the departing Torres and Kenny said yes so Comolli then went and sorted it out.

The club were already looking at Carroll previous to that day about possibly signing in the future anyway. Even Rafa at one point looked at him. Because of the departing Torres they went for him early even though he was injured.

It backfired - he cost too much which put far too much pressure on him from both fans and media alike.

If we had waited until the summer we could have got him for a great deal less and the situation could have ended up better.

As I have said if you don't think that Ayres and the owners had anything to do with the Carroll deal then that is your prerogative. Personally, regardless of Kenny's, probably abridged version, I strongly suspect that one man was not given the authority to spend £35m.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed May 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Then you suspect wrong because that was their remit for a DoF - Ayre at the time was a commercial director looking at the sponsership etc - the owners were new to the sport which is why they hired someone to look after the transfers etc - Comolli. They just hired the wrong person.

Do you really think Kenny would lie to us ? It would be the very first time in his life. If it was false then surely we would expect Comolli to challenge it - but we haven't.

Who else had a say in the money being spent ? There was no one else in the club.
Benny The Noon

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm wrote:Why was it clearly a "committee decision" ?

What committee are you talking about ?

As its stated in Kennys book - Comolli asked Kenny if he would like Carroll as a replacement for the departing Torres and Kenny said yes so Comolli then went and sorted it out.

The club were already looking at Carroll previous to that day about possibly signing in the future anyway. Even Rafa at one point looked at him. Because of the departing Torres they went for him early even though he was injured.

It backfired - he cost too much which put far too much pressure on him from both fans and media alike.

If we had waited until the summer we could have got him for a great deal less and the situation could have ended up better.
commitee by proxy. We had to spend the Torres proceeds or face increased tax liabilities on the sum received.

Kenny was pushed into a purchase over the odds. The fact he was offered Carroll says there were more than just him behind the decision to sign him.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Committee by proxy !

Who else was behind the signing then ?

Do you also think Kenny was lying in his book then ? Never any suggestion Kenny was pushed into the signing

And buying players to ensure we don't pay Tax liabilities !! What sort of nonsense is that.
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed May 29, 2013 11:19 pm

If KK knew how much we were paying for Carroll then he fu'cked up by paying over the odds and opened us up for ridicule
If KK didnt know how much we were paying for Carroll then he fu'cked up by not finding out that we were paying over the odds and opened us up for ridicule
Either way its a bad way of doing business and proves that he had been out of the game too long
:down:
Thommo's perm

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed May 29, 2013 11:23 pm

But it's the way of business that a number of top clubs follow. The fees aren't down to the manager !

Do you apply the same theory to the Suarez transfer then ? We got him cheap compared to his ability
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed May 29, 2013 10:23 pm wrote:But it's the way of business that a number of top clubs follow. The fees aren't down to the manager !

Do you apply the same theory to the Suarez transfer then ? We got him cheap compared to his ability

To get someone cheaper than their worth is different than paying over the odds for someone.
A cheaper player who has great ability is different than a dearer player who has average ability
Do you see?
Thommo's perm

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 pm

So basically you change your theory because it won't back up your opinion

Kenny is at fault because Carroll was overpriced and shows he was out the game too long but getting Suarez under his price tag shows nothing ?
Benny The Noon

Postby aCe' » Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 am

Fck it. If Suarez leaves, then I'll say keep Carroll. By the way, is that Aspas guy a striker ? If he is, then forget about my post all together ! A forward line of Sturridge, Borini, and Aspas should be enough to beat Crystal Palace and Norwich.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu May 30, 2013 12:05 am

Benny The Noon » Wed May 29, 2013 10:40 pm wrote:So basically you change your theory because it won't back up your opinion

Kenny is at fault because Carroll was overpriced and shows he was out the game too long but getting Suarez under his price tag shows nothing ?

I will finish on this because I really cant be ar'sed
Every player who is bought is a gamble, some less than others. How much you are prepared to gamble shows how much you know what youre doing. £35 million on an untested, untried, young, inexperienced lad with "potential" was a major blunder that KK was part of. The price was the focus rather than the lads ability, not just to non LFC supporters, but to those who class themselves as fans
I wanted KK to stay, even though he had fu'cked up with Carrolls cost. But that, and his refusal to start him in the fa cup final convinced me that he didnt have it any more.
It really is that simple
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu May 30, 2013 6:28 am

And the price wasnt down to Kenny - it was down to Comolli

Expect rival fans to use the price to knock Kenny with but not Liverpool fans.
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu May 30, 2013 7:10 am

Benny The Noon » Thu May 30, 2013 5:28 am wrote:And the price wasnt down to Kenny - it was down to Comolli

:sleepy:
Thommo's perm

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 am

Benny The Noon » Wed May 29, 2013 8:44 pm wrote:Committee by proxy !

Who else was behind the signing then ?

Do you also think Kenny was lying in his book then ? Never any suggestion Kenny was pushed into the signing

And buying players to ensure we don't pay Tax liabilities !! What sort of nonsense is that.

Dry your eyes Benoir.

It's only what I read, I'll try and dig out a link.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 am

Benny The Noon » Thu May 30, 2013 12:28 am wrote:And the price wasnt down to Kenny - it was down to Comolli

Gotta disagree mate.  The price wasn't even anything to do with Commoli.  It was pretty simple really but the numbers were so staggering that it seems all anyone focuses on.  We give up Torres and get Carrol plus 15 million.  This has been my view of it since the day it happened.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu May 30, 2013 10:21 am

Benny The Noon » Wed May 29, 2013 10:23 pm wrote:But it's the way of business that a number of top clubs follow. The fees aren't down to the manager !

I dont think you understood my previous post on this.
Or if you did you didnt actually answer it properly.

I agree the fee would have been negotiated by Comolli.

But are you saying that it was as straight forward as Comolli saying 'do you want Carroll Kenny'
Kenny saying 'yeah'
Then Comolli just going out and spending whatever it takes regardless of fee ?
We are not City or Chelsea so dont just spend whatever it takes to sign players as it would impact what business we can do in the next window.

To ask you a question, do you think Kenny had no idea of the fee before the deal was done ?

And he was then informed after the deal was agreed ?
If you do I think you are being majorly naive.

He knew full well what the fee was as far as I am concerned - but I agree that he didnt deal with the negotiation of it himself.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion