Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby ethanr » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:58 pm

The Good Yank » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:39 am wrote:I actually get a kick out of the "He was Shlt until the goal" concessions some made in the last two Match Threads.

Thought I was the only one that noticed that.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ethanr » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Just saw a picture of Carroll's goal.  Jelavic going for the header, and Fellani pulling Carroll's jersey so hard his name was around his f*cking waste.
ethanr

Postby stmichael » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:01 pm

ran suarez pretty close for man of the match today for me.

the best thing is, even though he missed chances he didn't let it get him down. earlier in the season after missing that sitter of a header it would have knocked him for six. today it just made him even more determined. he won every ball in the air aswell at both ends of the field.

delighted for the lad. two late winners in a week can only inspire the lad to bang in a few more from now until the end of the season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ethanr » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:10 pm

stmichael » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:01 pm wrote:ran suarez pretty close for man of the match today for me.

the best thing is, even though he missed chances he didn't let it get him down. earlier in the season after missing that sitter of a header it would have knocked him for six. today it just made him even more determined. he won every ball in the air aswell at both ends of the field.

delighted for the lad. two late winners in a week can only inspire the lad to bang in a few more from now until the end of the season.

Not only that, but Sylvain Distin, bar the back pass, had a really good game guarding Carroll.  He was possibly their best player today behind Jelavic, and Carroll still played as well as he did.
ethanr

Postby Greavesie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:48 pm

chuffed for him, great to see a local lad (for me anyway) playing for the club I love
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Boxscarf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Yes, Andy Carroll, always had my total support - you're gonna cement your name in Liverpool folklore, you're gonna be better than Hunt, Keegan, Toshack, Dalglish, Aldridge, Fowler, Owen and Torres.  Oh Andy Carroll you're a f*cking beast.  :buttrock
Boxscarf

Postby Boxscarf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:05 pm

D___C » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:15 pm wrote:Take back everything i said about him... :laugh:

I would apologise to andy... but i was saying it for his own good! :eyebrow

Hes a f'cking legend now.  :bowdown

Have a good night gents and lasses

Go and support Manchester City, you gopping lemon. You're a disgrace to this club and I absolutely abhor you.
Boxscarf

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:47 am

Well done Andy lad, plenty of time left this season to redeem yourself yet. Played a cracker, was involved in everything, all credit.  I wont mention the ponytail.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:18 am

Let's sing: You make my world so Carroll-ful http://t.co/mS0P2fjK
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:50 pm

aCe' » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:21 pm wrote:FCK YEA !

He was sht for mot of the game and his inclusion messed our style of play for large periods but if he pops up with goals like this regularly then who fcking cares.

Well done Andy

i disagree, I thought he had a really good game and not just by his standards. He was was working hard and was actually getting into the correct positions. Apart from the glaring horrible miss I thought it was an excellent game from him and I would have given him MOTM instead of Suarez. He still needs to become more clinical in front of goal but he is slowly starting to impress me and prove his worth, and I never thought I'd have said that a few weeks ago.
heimdall

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:55 pm

The Big Man was full of running and played his heart out ,and finally he's taking up the
positions to make the most of the chances .....Long may it continue.  :)
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:03 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:55 pm wrote:The Big Man was full of running and played his heart out ,and finally he's taking up the

thats been my biggest concern about the taking up the correct positions.

If he does that he will get the goals that we need from him.

His link up play has improved so much as well.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Ben Patrick » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:03 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:55 pm wrote:The Big Man was full of running and played his heart out ,and finally he's taking up the

thats been my biggest concern about the taking up the correct positions.

If he does that he will get the goals that we need from him.

His link up play has improved so much as well.

He's definitely bringing players into  play more and is developing the confidence to attempt
shots himself . Which  all bodes well for the future mate .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby D___C » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Yesterday was euphoric... and he has already achieved cult status for the winning goal against the bitters (for me anyway), and for that goal alone i am eternally grateful.

My assessment of him as a player hasn't changed one iota, nor should it change for anyone. For 87 minutes he was the same andy carroll. His miss after half time could have been so costly had the donkey in their backline not pesented us with a gift and set Luis clear. When he missed the sitter the camera panned to Ian Rush.. the contrast could not be greater. Will never fault his workrate, his effort... thats it.

The mistake we made in the summer, which Comolli has paid for, was signing players to cater to andy carroll. Downing, Adam, Henderson. Instead we should have been signing players to cater to Luis Suarez, by a country mile our best player. Technical mobile players, none of which those three are.

The method of play that caters to andy carroll is not a successful one. Its direct, basic, its crosses from out wide, diagonal long balls upfield, free-kicks whipped into the box.. its a throwback.. "on me head son". There is no doubt andy carroll would have had far more goals this season had he been at stoke.. an aerial bombardment into the box. The same was the case at Newcastle with Nolan/Barton and Guiteriez. He struggles when its on the floor. There is no successful side who play it in the air. That ultimately is why andy carroll will not make it here (bar being an alternative to come from the bench).
D___C

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:47 pm

D___C » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:43 pm wrote:Yesterday was euphoric... and he has already achieved cult status for the winning goal against the bitters (for me anyway), and for that goal alone i am eternally grateful.

My assessment of him as a player hasn't changed one iota, nor should it change for anyone. For 87 minutes he was the same andy carroll. His miss after half time could have been so costly had the donkey in their backline not pesented us with a gift and set Luis clear. When he missed the sitter the camera panned to Ian Rush.. the contrast could not be greater. Will never fault his workrate, his effort... thats it.

The mistake we made in the summer, which Comolli has paid for, was signing players to cater to andy carroll. Downing, Adam, Henderson. Instead we should have been signing players to cater to Luis Suarez, by a country mile our best player. Technical mobile players, none of which those three are.

The method of play that caters to andy carroll is not a successful one. Its direct, basic, its crosses from out wide, diagonal long balls upfield, free-kicks whipped into the box.. its a throwback.. "on me head son". There is no doubt andy carroll would have had far more goals this season had he been at stoke.. an aerial bombardment into the box. The same was the case at Newcastle with Nolan/Barton and Guiteriez. He struggles when its on the floor. There is no successful side who play it in the air. That ultimately is why andy carroll will not make it here (bar being an alternative to come from the bench).

Two games , Two Andy Carroll winners .

Slating him right now just makes you look a bitter *****
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion