Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:02 am

D___C » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:50 pm wrote:
devaney » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:28 pm wrote:Suggesting that the Carroll critics should fk off and support another team is a bit rich. Maybe you'll do the same when commenting on Glen Johnson. Double standards Thommo - double fkg standards! Carroll understandably has his critics.Idiots like Kerry and D-C go to far. On the other hand you and Benny expect us all to go into a semi permanent state of derision when Carroll actually scores a goal! Carroll's overall contribution has been poor. He has played a major part in our last 14 league games and we have won 3. He is not the only problem but he is certainly a very big part of it.Strikers that don't score goals simply aren't earning the massive wages they receive.i have credited Carroll with signs of improvement but to be honest given the way he has been playing that would not have been too difficult.Last night he was ok but the opposition were utter sh.ite.

I agree with everything bar the idiot comment.

I watched the entire game again... and anyone that gives carroll above 4 out of 10 for that performance is full of it.

He did two things the entire game.. one a neat lay off midway in the 2nd half.. the second was the goal which came from the direct long ball method that caters to his limitations. The very goal we scored at the end when we lashed it up Wimbledon style.. if we played that way week in week out we would finish no higher than midtable. And its this that is primarily my point. Not only is carroll not good enough (12m is his value) but the style of play that caters to him is bogstandard. Newcastle played this way last season and were 12th... since he left they bought better players, play it on the floor, and they are challenging for the CL. If this was a one off (long ball up) great.. no complaints.. but it has to be the norm in the team with carroll in it.

Getting on the end of a long ball is exactly his game... thats it. Its beyond garbage.. its anti-football. When we play it on the floor hes lost. He doesnt possess the basic skill set. His passing and movement is diabolical. His shooting is wayward to say the least (his best effort he almost put in our net) and also missed a guilt edged chance to put us up 3-1. Getting on the end of a direct move after another subpar performance doesnt mask the inadequacy of the player... he, henderson, adam, spearing, shelvey.. are the new blood that has seen us have our worst season in over half a century. The standards have fallen so low at this club that a donkey gets on the end of a direct move and the apologists come out in force, We are a midtable side with midtable players... but hey, we nicked a late winner wimbledon style at the second worst team in the league. Its indicative of how far we have fallen. Maybe im missing something... maybe we are this average and should lower my expectations and accept it as others seem to.

NOB ED...  Your a joke, and very boring as well.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby heimdall » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:58 am

Benny The Noon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:27 am wrote:
heimdall » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:06 am wrote:That was probably the best game I've seen Andy play, his link up play was actually pretty good. Shame about his striking ability though, he missed one absolute sitter before getting the goal at the end which was more down to Agger's superb nod-on. I'm still far from convinced about him but he is showing signs of improvement maybe we'll get some of the £35 million back for him when he's sold in the summer.

Which sitter was that ?

Shame about his striking ability as he scores the winner ? You are an utter bellend.

It was a cracking header and it was more than just Aggers nod on - you make looking like a ***** easy.

The absolute sitter was the diving header, which most strikers would have scored from, his goal was ok, nothing that special but it sure was timely. I can't believe that even when I give the lad a bit of praise I get called childish names, grow up GYBS.
By the way I still don't rate Carroll that highly but he's becoming slightly better recently and his link up work was actually quite good but he must get better positional sense and be far more ruthless in front of goal.
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:02 am wrote:
D___C » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:50 pm wrote:
devaney » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:28 pm wrote:Suggesting that the Carroll critics should fk off and support another team is a bit rich. Maybe you'll do the same when commenting on Glen Johnson. Double standards Thommo - double fkg standards! Carroll understandably has his critics.Idiots like Kerry and D-C go to far. On the other hand you and Benny expect us all to go into a semi permanent state of derision when Carroll actually scores a goal! Carroll's overall contribution has been poor. He has played a major part in our last 14 league games and we have won 3. He is not the only problem but he is certainly a very big part of it.Strikers that don't score goals simply aren't earning the massive wages they receive.i have credited Carroll with signs of improvement but to be honest given the way he has been playing that would not have been too difficult.Last night he was ok but the opposition were utter sh.ite.

I watched the entire game again... and anyone that gives carroll above 4 out of 10 for that performance is full of it.

He did two things the entire game.. one a neat lay off midway in the 2nd half.. the second was the goal which came from the direct long ball method that caters to his limitations. The very goal we scored at the end when we lashed it up Wimbledon style.. if we played that way week in week out we would finish no higher than midtable. And its this that is primarily my point. Not only is carroll not good enough (12m is his value) but the style of play that caters to him is bogstandard. Newcastle played this way last season and were 12th... since he left they bought better players, play it on the floor, and they are challenging for the CL. If this was a one off (long ball up) great.. no complaints.. but it has to be the norm in the team with carroll in it.

Getting on the end of a long ball is exactly his game... thats it. Its beyond garbage.. its anti-football. When we play it on the floor hes lost. He doesnt possess the basic skill set. His passing and movement is diabolical. His shooting is wayward to say the least (his best effort he almost put in our net) and also missed a guilt edged chance to put us up 3-1. Getting on the end of a direct move after another subpar performance doesnt mask the inadequacy of the player... he, henderson, adam, spearing, shelvey.. are the new blood that has seen us have our worst season in over half a century. The standards have fallen so low at this club that a donkey gets on the end of a direct move and the apologists come out in force, We are a midtable side with midtable players... but hey, we nicked a late winner wimbledon style at the second worst team in the league. Its indicative of how far we have fallen. Maybe im missing something... maybe we are this average and should lower my expectations and accept it as others seem to.

NOB ED...  Your a joke, and very boring as well.

Well at least D__C presents an argument instead of playground insults, I find one sentence insults incredibly boring, at least some of the rose-tinters take the time to present their arguments in a proper fashion which fosters debate, which is kind of the point of a forum.
heimdall

Postby devaney » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:41 pm

RedAnt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:35 am wrote:Who claimed everything was rosey again? Carroll played well. As Hansen said, he's showing the "green shoots of recovery". I like that phrase because it points to how shell shocked the lad is. He's playing well below his ability.
Get off his back and support him for a change.

I admire your support mate I really do and I admit that frustration gets the better of me at times. I've desperately tried to support the lad and not join the idiotic blame Carroll for everything fraternity but at times Andy makes it difficult with some of his extremely lack lustre performances.I've clearly stated that our problems are not all down to Andy.Downing for example as an experienced Premiership and international player should be giving us a lot more and making Carroll's job easier.Hansen's comments are interesting but don't forget that he lives around the corner from Kenny and they play golf together at Hillside.Hansen knows his mate is under massive pressure and he is right there have been some green shoots of recovery. Carroll's had fifteen months with Liverpool and it is now time that he starts playing to the ability that you suggest he has.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:50 pm

heimdall:

"The absolute sitter was the diving header, which most strikers would have scored from, his goal was ok, nothing that special but it sure was timely."

Yes it was an ok goal. Nothing to get excited about. In fact why are we even discussing such an average, meaningless, easy goal?
:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:56 pm

devaney » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:41 am wrote:
RedAnt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:35 am wrote:Who claimed everything was rosey again? Carroll played well. As Hansen said, he's showing the "green shoots of recovery". I like that phrase because it points to how shell shocked the lad is. He's playing well below his ability.
Get off his back and support him for a change.

I admire your support mate I really do and I admit that frustration gets the better of me at times. I've desperately tried to support the lad and not join the idiotic blame Carroll for everything fraternity but at times Andy makes it difficult with some of his extremely lack lustre performances.I've clearly stated that our problems are not all down to Andy.Downing for example as an experienced Premiership and international player should be giving us a lot more and making Carroll's job easier.Hansen's comments are interesting but don't forget that he lives around the corner from Kenny and they play golf together at Hillside.Hansen knows his mate is under massive pressure and he is right there have been some green shoots of recovery. Carroll's had fifteen months with Liverpool and it is now time that he starts playing to the ability that you suggest he has.

I agree with you that Andy has been frustrating and disappointing this year...as part of a frustrating and disappointing team. But consider that Carroll has had a real tough time. The huge price tag, being uprooted and moving to a new city where the team plays a totally different game, and the fans expect so much more of you. Entering into a struggling team that''s still finding its feet together isn't easy. His attitude has been poor, yes, and he's F'd up more than once (as most of the team have) but he's trying and improving. Andy Carroll isn't as bad as this season has made him out to be. I don't believe our team is as bad as this season has made us out to be, nor the manager. But Carroll is here and he's trying, and improving. After such a tough start, he might expect to have a little credit, praise and support when he actually puts in a shift and wins us a match.....but the criticism goes on, and on, and on, and very often that criticism is cheap, or often it's regurgitated journalism. How can Andy and the team ever play with confidence if they're criticised even when they get a result?

I can't imagine anything more damaging for moral and consequent performances than people who refuse to support us and our players even when they succeed. And yes...a 3-2 win against lowly Blackburn is still a win....right on the back of a draw...which was right on the back of what...6 or 7 defeats?

We need to ease off on the pressure on our lads and let them enjoy playing for us.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:59 pm

devaney » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:41 am wrote:
We nearly bin a 2-0 lead again for the second time in a few weeks and you actually think we did well. Blackburn are absolute utter rubbish and we should have gone on to win 5-0 or greater. Instead we struggle to actually win 3-2 and you seem to think it was a great achievement. To be frank we should be able to dispose of the likes of Blackburn quite easily even with ten men. I hate to be so negative about the team I have supported for nearly 50 years but I'm living in the real world. We will play a vastly different game on Saturday because we seem to have the ability to raise our performances against the likes of Everton and the top teams. This is as much a management motivation problem as a player problem. If the team listen to Kenny's after match comments they probably think everything is wonderful and that we are top of the league!

Stay those horses fella ,I never said it was great achievement ...If  you can prove otherwise then please feel free to produce.
What I will say is the fans (FUCKING ALL OF THEM ) that travelled to Ewood Park sang Dalglish's name ,and sang it
loud till it resonated around that ground . Surely if the fans who have witnessed some appalling displays still believe in the
Legend that is Kenny Dalglish then posters on a forum should wind their respective fucking necks in and get behind
the team the club .......and yes the current manager ?

Gritty performances such as on Tuesday night are usually the turning point for Liverpool ,because playing with the heart and
until your lungs are bursting made a welcome return . Andy Carroll deserves the plaudits for finally displaying the energy 
and (heres that word again ) heart to hurl himself at that ball and smash in the winning header ......

Yes I celebrated like I celebrated when Ruddock headed the equaliser against the Mancs ,because it meant the premature
obituaries written and already printed would have to be put to one side .....

YNWA
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm

All players need time to settle into a new club and Carroll is no different. He won't be sold and I think he will improve with time/games and will turn out to be a good LFC player. He is only 23 so he has his best days in front of him!

We will always debate the £35M price tag. Nobody is worth that kind of money IMO. But we wouldn't have bought him if we didn't get silly money for Torres.

Remove the money from the entire conversation and we effectively swapped Torres for Suarez and Carroll. Good deal for us at the time.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby paisleyred » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:09 pm

Agree Waldo.
If he had came up through the ranks and was playing like he is now would he be getting slated?
It wasn't him that billed us £35m, it was Newcastle.
paisleyred

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:30 pm

[Suggesting that the Carroll critics should fk off and support another team is a bit rich. Maybe you'll do the same when commenting on Glen Johnson. Double standards Thommo - double fkg standards! Carroll understandably has his critics.Idiots like Kerry and D-C go to far. On the other hand you and Benny expect us all to go into a semi permanent state of derision when Carroll actually scores a goal! Carroll's overall contribution has been poor. He has played a major part in our last 14 league games and we have won 3. He is not the only problem but he is certainly a very big part of it.Strikers that don't score goals simply aren't earning the massive wages they receive.i have credited Carroll with signs of improvement but to be honest given the way he has been playing that would not have been too difficult.Last night he was ok but the opposition were utter sh.ite.[/quote]

Getting on the end of a long ball is exactly his game... thats it. Its beyond garbage.. its anti-football. When we play it on the floor hes lost. He doesnt possess the basic skill set. His passing and movement is diabolical. His shooting is wayward to say the least (his best effort he almost put in our net) and also missed a guilt edged chance to put us up 3-1. Getting on the end of a direct move after another subpar performance doesnt mask the inadequacy of the player... he, henderson, adam, spearing, shelvey.. are the new blood that has seen us have our worst season in over half a century. The standards have fallen so low at this club that a donkey gets on the end of a direct move and the apologists come out in force, We are a midtable side with midtable players... but hey, we nicked a late winner wimbledon style at the second worst team in the league. Its indicative of how far we have fallen. Maybe im missing something... maybe we are this average and should lower my expectations and accept it as others seem to.[/quote]

NOB ED...  Your a joke, and very boring as well.[/quote]

Well at least D__C presents an argument instead of playground insults, I find one sentence insults incredibly boring, at least some of the rose-tinters take the time to present their arguments in a proper fashion which fosters debate, which is kind of the point of a forum.[/quote]

YAWN!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:44 pm

devaney:

"We nearly bin a 2-0 lead again for the second time in a few weeks and you actually think we did well. Blackburn are absolute utter rubbish and we should have gone on to win 5-0 or greater. Instead we struggle to actually win 3-2 and you seem to think it was a great achievement. To be frank we should be able to dispose of the likes of Blackburn quite easily even with ten men."

You are missing the point spectacularly
It was a great achievement to win a game with your third choice goalie and 10 against 11 for over an hour no matter what the opposition. Dont forget we had our so called "best" players in the stands. These were the very same players who got beat by the mighty QPR and Wigan not so long ago. For them not to be on the pitch and for us to win in such a manner is outstanding and if you cant see that and give credit to those who won the game then you need to have a word with yourself
Thommo's perm

Postby devaney » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Thommo's perm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:44 pm wrote:devaney:

"We nearly bin a 2-0 lead again for the second time in a few weeks and you actually think we did well. Blackburn are absolute utter rubbish and we should have gone on to win 5-0 or greater. Instead we struggle to actually win 3-2 and you seem to think it was a great achievement. To be frank we should be able to dispose of the likes of Blackburn quite easily even with ten men."

You are missing the point spectacularly
It was a great achievement to win a game with your third choice goalie and 10 against 11 for over an hour no matter what the opposition. Dont forget we had our so called "best" players in the stands. These were the very same players who got beat by the mighty QPR and Wigan not so long ago. For them not to be on the pitch and for us to win in such a manner is outstanding and if you cant see that and give credit to those who won the game then you need to have a word with yourself

Thommo I wish I was. Blackburn have a goal difference of -25 and have scored 25 goals in 33 games. Based on those figures Brad Jones should have been more than capable to keep goal.He wasn't facing Messi or Ronaldo was he.Your referring to Gerrard and Suarez who we should be able to successfully rest when playing dross like Blacburn.Maxi actually made a far better fist of putting the ball in the net than Suarez.You seem to think it was an outstanding achievement partly due to the disgraceful results against QPR and Wigan which suggests that you are easily pleased.Istanbul was outstanding nearly binning a game that we should have won without difficulty certainly wasn't.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby D___C » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Cruyff and big andy Carroll?

pmsl

Dutch master and the geordie yard-dog.  :laugh:

Seriously chuckling at the contrast.

Pack yer bags andrew.
D___C

Postby D___C » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:15 pm

heimdall » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:06 am wrote:Well at least D__C presents an argument instead of playground insults, I find one sentence insults incredibly boring, at least some of the rose-tinters take the time to present their arguments in a proper fashion which fosters debate, which is kind of the point of a forum.

All the apologists do is come up with one liner "insults" (not that im ever insulted mind)

Hes a 12m pound player who has transformed the way we play (direct) in which we then signed players to launch the ball from out wide (downing) and upfield (adam)...completely killing the pass and move method (and progress) we made towards the end of last season.
D___C

Postby devaney » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:04 pm

D___C » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:15 pm wrote:
heimdall » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:06 am wrote:Well at least D__C presents an argument instead of playground insults, I find one sentence insults incredibly boring, at least some of the rose-tinters take the time to present their arguments in a proper fashion which fosters debate, which is kind of the point of a forum.

All the apologists do is come up with one liner "insults" (not that im ever insulted mind)

Hes a 12m pound player who has transformed the way we play (direct) in which we then signed players to launch the ball from out wide (downing) and upfield (adam)...completely killing the pass and move method (and progress) we made towards the end of last season.

I recently suggested that you were an idiot based on your never ending somewhat crass criticism of Andy Carroll. How do you expect to be taken seriously with the sh.it you write. The lad actually got us out of an embarrassing mess at Blackburn. I know he's no Lionel Messi and I am far from his biggest fan but unlike you who I seriously believe to be a bitter blue I am prepared to give him some credit. I just hope he scores the winning goal tomorrow because that will be the end of you for at least a month! Maybe Kerry you will come back with another name! Mind you D_C is ok because I'm sure it must stand for Dopey C.unt  :laugh:
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext