Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:56 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
lakes10 wrote:Carroll has a big part in winning that game, not only did he set up a goal but in defence he did just the right thing to put their player off from getting the winning goal in the last few secs.
I thing he had a very good game for us.

I don't...i thought his movement was shocking and he was little more than a passenger for the most part.

Yet was involved in the equaliser - he played as well as Suarez did.
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Kerry07
"When the caption comes up at the start of the game, and shows Andy Carroll upfront, no one can genuinely be happy seeing that, besides opposing fans. No one looks at Liverpool and thinks.. oh f8ck they have Andy Carroll. No one.
Post match Malkay McKay was talking about what they were working on regarding Suarez, Gerrard and Downing.. he said nothing of Carroll. I agree that you have to view him purely as a player and dismiss the preposterous fee. His lack of movement, anticipation (umpteen quality Downing crosses), his lack of linking up with play, his average finishing, his general all round averageness.. he has done zero in his career to suggest he will ever be good enough."

Oh you tiresome boring tw@t. Change the Fu*king record because you are making an absolute cu'nt of yourself here.
So defenders and goalkeepers rub their hands with glee when they see Carrolls name on the team sheet?
Fu*king plank you are
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Kerry07 wrote:
john craig wrote:
Kerry07 wrote:
john craig wrote:Can't see how Carroll comes in for criticism after that game.

The midfield was poor.  Adam, Gerrard, Suarez, Agger, Enrique and even Reina were below par.  Carroll at least was instrumental in setting up Skrtel's goal by winning the header from the corner, even if his performance didn't set the worls alight.

Only Downing, Skrtel and Kuyt played well on the day for us imo.  We were lucky, but deserved it after a tough route to the final with good away wins against Stoke, Chelsea and City.

Because Downing put in umpteen quality crosses and the immobile big fella was nowhere to be seen. He has number 9 on his jersey, he looks anything but.

Dirk Kuyt did more in 20 minutes than Carroll did in 100.

I have seen nothing from Carroll in his career to suggest he is good enough for a team that aspires to be top 4. No-one outside the club does, and those inside the club that do are optimistic to the extreme.

The worst players on the field yesterday were Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, and Andy Carroll. Two taken off and the other overhit absolutely everything all day. Kenny bought terribly..lets not kid ourselves. The trophy was fantastic.. but it shouldnt be used to disguise these three poor dealings.

I disagree.

I still think Adam was good business for 7 mil.  His form has dipped recently but I think he's a good squad player who has played more games than he would have if Lucas hadn't been injured.

I think Henderson's too young to judge.  The fee isn't his fault.  Agree he was woeful yesterday, but that's what you get with young players, inconsistency.  And that's also what you get when you play someone out of position.  I still think he'll come good with a bit more experience and a switch to his preferred role in the centre.

Carroll will probably never be worth 35 mil but that fee was clearly massively inflated as we had money to burn from Torres going and little time to replace him.  Doesn't mean Carroll can't be a good asset for us, but if you constantly throw up the fee then you will always be disappointed.  Sensible fans knew in the first place he wasn't worth that, which is why they aren't throwing the toys out of the pram because he hasn't justified the fee.  Again, not the lad's fault we paid that much for him.

6 of the starting eleven on Sunday joined the club within the last 13 months.  A team doesn't gel overnight.  A quieter summer with maybe one or two players of high quality coming in and watch just how more consistent we are next season.  I'm not saying we'll win the league but I think we'll comfortably finish top four next season.  And this season's not over yet either.

When the caption comes up at the start of the game, and shows Andy Carroll upfront, no one can genuinely be happy seeing that, besides opposing fans.

No one looks at Liverpool and thinks.. oh f8ck they have Andy Carroll. No one.

Post match Malkay McKay was talking about what they were working on regarding Suarez, Gerrard and Downing.. he said nothing of Carroll.

I agree that you have to view him purely as a player and dismiss the preposterous fee. His lack of movement, anticipation (umpteen quality Downing crosses), his lack of linking up with play, his average finishing, his general all round averageness.. he has done zero in his career to suggest he will ever be good enough.

I bet Makay wished he had dealt with Carroll after his involvement in the first goal and putting of Miller.

I dont care what other people think or what other managers do or dont do to combat Carroll - All im worried about is him scoring goals for us and being involved in goals and he is doing it - Carroll helped us win our first trophy for 6 years - you can typa as much :censored: as you want but you cant take away that fact.
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Benny The Noon:
"I bet Makay wished he had dealt with Carroll after his involvement in the first goal and putting of Miller.
I dont care what other people think or what other managers do or dont do to combat Carroll - All im worried about is him scoring goals for us and being involved in goals and he is doing it - Carroll helped us win our first trophy for 6 years - you can typa as much  as you want but you cant take away that fact."

Dont even bite.
Every manager of every team knows that Carroll will cause problems and even if he doesnt score he will create chances for others.
"Malkay McKay was talking about what they were working on regarding Suarez, Gerrard and Downing.. he said nothing of Carroll"
More Fu*king fool him then!
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby friendlyguy33 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Kerry07 wrote:
john craig wrote:
Kerry07 wrote:
john craig wrote:Can't see how Carroll comes in for criticism after that game.

The midfield was poor.  Adam, Gerrard, Suarez, Agger, Enrique and even Reina were below par.  Carroll at least was instrumental in setting up Skrtel's goal by winning the header from the corner, even if his performance didn't set the worls alight.

Only Downing, Skrtel and Kuyt played well on the day for us imo.  We were lucky, but deserved it after a tough route to the final with good away wins against Stoke, Chelsea and City.

Because Downing put in umpteen quality crosses and the immobile big fella was nowhere to be seen. He has number 9 on his jersey, he looks anything but.

Dirk Kuyt did more in 20 minutes than Carroll did in 100.

I have seen nothing from Carroll in his career to suggest he is good enough for a team that aspires to be top 4. No-one outside the club does, and those inside the club that do are optimistic to the extreme.

The worst players on the field yesterday were Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, and Andy Carroll. Two taken off and the other overhit absolutely everything all day. Kenny bought terribly..lets not kid ourselves. The trophy was fantastic.. but it shouldnt be used to disguise these three poor dealings.

I disagree.

I still think Adam was good business for 7 mil.  His form has dipped recently but I think he's a good squad player who has played more games than he would have if Lucas hadn't been injured.

I think Henderson's too young to judge.  The fee isn't his fault.  Agree he was woeful yesterday, but that's what you get with young players, inconsistency.  And that's also what you get when you play someone out of position.  I still think he'll come good with a bit more experience and a switch to his preferred role in the centre.

Carroll will probably never be worth 35 mil but that fee was clearly massively inflated as we had money to burn from Torres going and little time to replace him.  Doesn't mean Carroll can't be a good asset for us, but if you constantly throw up the fee then you will always be disappointed.  Sensible fans knew in the first place he wasn't worth that, which is why they aren't throwing the toys out of the pram because he hasn't justified the fee.  Again, not the lad's fault we paid that much for him.

6 of the starting eleven on Sunday joined the club within the last 13 months.  A team doesn't gel overnight.  A quieter summer with maybe one or two players of high quality coming in and watch just how more consistent we are next season.  I'm not saying we'll win the league but I think we'll comfortably finish top four next season.  And this season's not over yet either.

When the caption comes up at the start of the game, and shows Andy Carroll upfront, no one can genuinely be happy seeing that, besides opposing fans.

No one looks at Liverpool and thinks.. oh f8ck they have Andy Carroll. No one.

Post match Malkay McKay was talking about what they were working on regarding Suarez, Gerrard and Downing.. he said nothing of Carroll.

I agree that you have to view him purely as a player and dismiss the preposterous fee. His lack of movement, anticipation (umpteen quality Downing crosses), his lack of linking up with play, his average finishing, his general all round averageness.. he has done zero in his career to suggest he will ever be good enough.

Except one of the Cardiff defenders was talking about Carroll last week in terms of his recent improved form and someone that they would have to watch out for.

Carroll isn't an exceptional footballer in terms of being one of the greatest strikers in the world. That said he's still learning and developing his game but not being the main focal point of the attack like he was at Newcastle hasn't helped him.

I think he'd have scored more goals and had more scoring opportunities if we'd had more players getting into the box in more games.
friendlyguy33

Postby devaney » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Kerry - I really can't be bothered with all your miserable bitter blue nosed sh.ite so I'll just say one thing! WHO FLICKED THE BALL TO KUYT TO SCORE THE WINNING GOAL IN THE SECOND LEG OF THE SEMI FINAL AT ANFIELD AND MADE EVRA LOOK A PILL.OCH IN THE PROCESS? Clearly you have forgotten that it was Andy Carroll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 pm

devaney wrote:Kerry - I really can't be bothered with all your miserable bitter blue nosed sh.ite so I'll just say one thing! WHO FLICKED THE BALL TO KUYT TO SCORE THE WINNING GOAL IN THE SECOND LEG OF THE SEMI FINAL AT ANFIELD AND MADE EVRA LOOK A PILL.OCH IN THE PROCESS? Clearly you have forgotten that it was Andy Carroll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think your getting mixed up with the f.a cup game against united there mate.
but i agree carroll has been one of our better players over the last 6 weeks or so, he was one of the few players that came out of that bolton game with any credit, he had a good first half and set up bellamys goal, he scored against oldham in the cup, then scored against wolves, set up dirks winner v united, grafted his @rse off against city and scored one and set one up against brighton last week.
even yesterday he had a big part to play in the equiliser.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Kerry07 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:06 am

devaney wrote:Kerry - I really can't be bothered with all your miserable bitter blue nosed sh.ite so I'll just say one thing! WHO FLICKED THE BALL TO KUYT TO SCORE THE WINNING GOAL IN THE SECOND LEG OF THE SEMI FINAL AT ANFIELD AND MADE EVRA LOOK A PILL.OCH IN THE PROCESS? Clearly you have forgotten that it was Andy Carroll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was indeed a good flick on (direct Newcastle style play). What has that got to do with the issue regarding his ability?

Carroll had another stinker on Sunday. The complaints of Aldridge on Radio City, and Lawrenson on BBC..said enough, and the fact he was taken off and hasn't got a single mention. Frazier Campbell has been chosen ahead of him for England, an England team that is terribly short of decent strikers and he still doesnt get a look in. I agree however his biggest contibution was nothing striker related.. the lunge towards Miller was massive and did enough to make him snatch at the shot, almost certainly saved a goal.

I'm not going to say anything more on Carroll until the end of the season.
"Its not just any other club" C.Tyldsley
"Liverpool are a special institution" X.Alonso
"Anfield es un templo de fútbol" AS
"The English club prove miracles do exist" D.Maradona
"Theres not one club in the world so united with its fans. Liverpool fans sent shivers down my spine" J.Cruyff
Kerry07

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:20 am

Kerry07 wrote:

It was indeed a good flick on (direct Newcastle style play). What has that got to do with the issue regarding his ability?

Carroll had another stinker on Sunday. The complaints of Aldridge on Radio City, and Lawrenson on BBC..said enough, and the fact he was taken off and hasn't got a single mention. Frazier Campbell has been chosen ahead of him for England, an England team that is terribly short of decent strikers and he still doesnt get a look in. I agree however his biggest contibution was nothing striker related.. the lunge towards Miller was massive and did enough to make him snatch at the shot, almost certainly saved a goal.

How about "Say nothing more" full stop ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby devaney » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:10 am

Kerry07 wrote:

Sorry I was referring to the Man United FA Cup match.

You ask what his flick on had to do with ability which demonstrates that you are simply not prepared to give Carroll the credit he deserves when he produces a quality assist very late in the game under extreme pressure. All I ask is that you give the lad a break and if you are a genuine Liverpool supporter then please behave like one.

I AM SURE I SPEAK FOR EVERYBODY IN CONGRATULATING YOU ON YOUR DECISION TO MAKE NO FURTHER COMMENTS ABOUT ANDY CARROLL UNTIL THE END OF THE SEASON.PERHAPS YOU COULD EXTEND YOUR SELF IMPOSED SILENCE TO KENNY AND THE REST OF THE TEAM UNLESS YOU HAVE ANYTHING POSITIVE TO SAY WHICH GIVEN YOUR HISTORY IS VERY UNLIKELY.

I have supported Liverpool for over 40 years and to go six years without winning anything is a very rare experience. Instead of looking for fault in everything why don't you just embrace the moment and enjoy winning a trophy. Give a thought to all the bitter blues,the chavs and scum supporters that thought we had thrown it away after our first couple of penalties.MOST OF THEM WILL HAVE BEEN DANCING AROUND IN DELIGHT THINKING WE WERE GOING TO LOSE! After what the club has been going through recently with other clubs supporters and all the pathetic booing there just seems to be some justice in the style of the result.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:52 am

so we bought him for 35million to do flicks, to score and assist on rare occasions? he isn't mobile, has zero creativity, doesn't get involved as much as a striker should in a game, and is a very average player. that exuberant sum of money should be spent on a player who is the total package, not someone who MIGHT realize his potential (whatever his potential is). and for those who claim that the fee is justified because he is a local lad, and is on par with the new rules, nobody forced the club to buy an English striker did they? you can defend him all you want, but his performances does himself no justice, and if that satisfies you, then don't expect to win the league title so long as Carroll is our main man up front. he's a good option to have, for a different style of play, but he isn't the man to lead the attack.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby devaney » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:42 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:so we bought him for 35million to do flicks, to score and assist on rare occasions? he isn't mobile, has zero creativity, doesn't get involved as much as a striker should in a game, and is a very average player. that exuberant sum of money should be spent on a player who is the total package, not someone who MIGHT realize his potential (whatever his potential is). and for those who claim that the fee is justified because he is a local lad, and is on par with the new rules, nobody forced the club to buy an English striker did they? you can defend him all you want, but his performances does himself no justice, and if that satisfies you, then don't expect to win the league title so long as Carroll is our main man up front. he's a good option to have, for a different style of play, but he isn't the man to lead the attack.

Let's leave this for the moment and enjoy winning a trophy. You don't have to go back to far in this thread to realise that I'm certainly not Andy Carroll's biggest fan and I agree with most of the points that you make. In recent weeks there have been signs of improvement and his contribution both in attack and defence has helped the team. No doubt when Chelsea paid £50m for Torres they were expecting overnight results and a player that could help them win the CL in the 2010/2011 season.Regardless of how much a club spends on a player it doesn't always work out. At the moment I'm in give the lad a bit of credit mode simply because he has too many critics. I have got off the bandwagon! I'm currently more concerned about Jordan Henderson and his inability to do anything impressive against two Championship sides.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:43 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:so we bought him for 35million to do flicks, to score and assist on rare occasions? he isn't mobile, has zero creativity, doesn't get involved as much as a striker should in a game, and is a very average player. that exuberant sum of money should be spent on a player who is the total package, not someone who MIGHT realize his potential (whatever his potential is). and for those who claim that the fee is justified because he is a local lad, and is on par with the new rules, nobody forced the club to buy an English striker did they? you can defend him all you want, but his performances does himself no justice, and if that satisfies you, then don't expect to win the league title so long as Carroll is our main man up front. he's a good option to have, for a different style of play, but he isn't the man to lead the attack.

dont blame carroll for the fee, he was happy enough playing for his hometown club until we put in that offer they couldnt refuse.
carroll is a young player who has had to deal with the millstone of a massive price tag around his neck, that type of fee is a lot for a player in his prime to deal with never mind a lad who turned 22 days after signing.
just because he doesnt fit your idea of a good player doesnt mean he isnt one, at 21 he was ripping defences to shreds for newcastle including our own, soto and skrtel who looked rock solid against the kevin davies`s and the felliani`s were taken apart by carroll, they couldnt handle him but they werent alone he did that to most defences including arsenals.
carroll was doing that at an age when most players are learning the game and doing well to hold their own at that level never mind be the wrecking ball that he was for newcastle.
he had a tough start to his career here but to be fair to him he`s got his head down worked hard and is now showing some form, over the past 6 weeks apart from skrtel he has been our best player.
i like what carroll brings to the team and in my opinion he will only get better, was he worth £35m? no, nowhere near it but that wasnt his f##k up that was comoli`s or dalglish`s and i`m not going to blame andy for something that wasnt his faut.
the best liverpool sides i ever saw all had a target man center forward and the late 70`s team and late 80`s team played far better footy than the side when rush and dalglish were up front, whenever i see someone blame andy for our lack of passing footy i just think to myself - sky generation.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 am

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:dont blame carroll for the fee, he was happy enough playing for his hometown club until we put in that offer they couldnt refuse.
carroll is a young player who has had to deal with the millstone of a massive price tag around his neck, that type of fee is a lot for a player in his prime to deal with never mind a lad who turned 22 days after signing.
just because he doesnt fit your idea of a good player doesnt mean he isnt one, at 21 he was ripping defences to shreds for newcastle including our own, soto and skrtel who looked rock solid against the kevin davies`s and the felliani`s were taken apart by carroll, they couldnt handle him but they werent alone he did that to most defences including arsenals.
carroll was doing that at an age when most players are learning the game and doing well to hold their own at that level never mind be the wrecking ball that he was for newcastle.
he had a tough start to his career here but to be fair to him he`s got his head down worked hard and is now showing some form, over the past 6 weeks apart from skrtel he has been our best player.
i like what carroll brings to the team and in my opinion he will only get better, was he worth £35m? no, nowhere near it but that wasnt his f##k up that was comoli`s or dalglish`s and i`m not going to blame andy for something that wasnt his faut.
the best liverpool sides i ever saw all had a target man center forward and the late 70`s team and late 80`s team played far better footy than the side when rush and dalglish were up front, whenever i see someone blame andy for our lack of passing footy i just think to myself - sky generation.

i agree 100%.
good post
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Zidane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:37 am

With time I really believe he'll prove to be a very good player for us.  He's still very young, came over injured and has had to come into a team that is still trying to figure itself out.  You can see that there is a lot of potential in him and he still hasn't been at his best for us at all.  Think he'll have another strong game against Arsenal this weekend and I am really hoping his recent form and the CC medal really push him on to bigger things.  His form has been good for a few weeks now bar the final where we were fairly poor for the most part, still had a part to play in our first goal though.
Zidane

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion