Spyware - Argh, iv got it!

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 pm

got the dredded spyware on my computer, even tho i my virus checker says i haven't  :(

Anyone know of any good (free) programs to get rid of the little buggers?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 pm

A squared is as good as any at removing malware. Malwarebytes is good too.

A squared free
account deleted by request

Postby lakes10 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:08 am

hope its not the XP ANTIMALWEAR, jus spent the who day getting rid of it.

Malwarebytes was blocked from loading by the spywear.

i used spybot and ad-awear
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:51 am

I use MSE now (Microsoft Security Essentials) They have upped their game a lot better now. This software is (virtually) non-intrusive and good at catching things that others let through.  My main PC is a full on DAW and there is almost zero interference from MSE. Ive tried a few over the years, though im more than happy with this - and of course a sensible approach when using the web and its many dark corners doesnt hurt.

Pretty good imo. Easy to install and has a light footprint. Even the updates are over with with little fuss.

Of course..YMMV based on what you actually DO on the web obviously.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:20 am

I swear by Spybot Search & Destroy. But saying this I still take a hard disk backup monthly, in case one of those little buggers is stubborn and won't go easily.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:28 pm

At one point, back in the day of my old pc, I had AVG, Adaware and Spybot and may even have had something else handy. Why fight the little feckers with one defence, I sometimes found one would pick up something the others wouldn't. I'm sure they was another, but I stopped using it as it didn't seem to be updated anymore.

There was also www.antivirus.com or something like that, type it in and try it and it redirects to its proper site name. At one point you could do a free virus check online, last time I looked on the site it was so different and maybe they don't do it anymore.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware are good (both free edition)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.superantispyware.com/

It's always good to have at least two products to detect and eliminate viruses, spyware etc. This is becuase if one misses something during a scan then chances are the other will get it. 
It's also a good idea to get a product with real time scanner (e.g Bit Defender) but this will be a licenced product.

Spysweeper is also worth checking out.

Also check out http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ for further info on removal of spyware etc. It's a good source of information

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby red37 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Just be careful with some of these 'utilities' - quite a few will leave their own individual 'droppings' which can end up excacerbating the situation. Often the best solution (though not ideal) is to end up doing a reinstall. Ive been though that and while its no picnic - everything is now 'tickety-boo' inside my workstation. And with some sensible housekeeping i intend it to stay that way.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 pm

When I was using PC last year I used AVG. It does virus and spyware. But I had the subscription, not the free version.

The thing is you can get a free version which will cover you against most or some of them but new ones are detected all the time. To give you an idea of how often new definitions became known well I had my update set to auto and it was pretty much 2 or 3 times a week it would see new updates. I know no one likes to pay for these things but with something like spyware or virus' you simply cannot afford to even connect to the web without a protected firewall in place. Chances are you are probably downloading stuff too so there must be tonnes of stuff on your machine.

I use a mac now so no need for any of that. :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:38 am

AVG iNTERNET SECURITY  ...... 3 USERS for one year £5.95 at Zavi

You get Anti-virus, Anti-spyware,Firewall,Anti-spam filter,Anti- rootkit, E-mail scanner,Identity protection etc etc

LINK
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Greavesie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:40 am

I use Avira, tried AVG but the version I got was faulty so I dont trust it anymore :D  though noone I know has ever had the problem I had
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:46 am

Avg is not brilliant, but it does a reasonable job, bit like Rafa (who said every thread becomes a Rafa one   :D  ) certainly a lot better than nothing and you get all the bits and bobs like a firewall etc etc. for 6 quid for three computers how can you go wrong!

Postby tubby » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:04 am

I used a combination of AVG and Spybot.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:42 pm

thanks guys, all sorted  :)
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum