SAMMY LEE - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:28 am

Considering just how much was written about the impact of Pako's departure last season(I seem to remember a few idiots argued that he was actually the real reason we had even been successful under Rafa) I wonder just how much of an impact Sammy Lee has made as number 2 this season. He's done a fantastic job the last 3 games and he's a class act when it comes to dealing with the media. It was like listening to a Liverpool manager of old to hear him on MOTD tonight, he was humble, understated, quietly confident and reminded the interviewer what a great club LFC are. Class Act

Cracking article from the Echo below...

Dec 27 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

WHO was Rafa Benitez's best signing during the summer?
Even Andrea Dossena's mum would be hard pressed for making a convincing case for it being the Italian left back who has endured a torrid time since arriving on Merseyside.
Robbie Keane was the most expensive but has struggled to live up to his £20m price tag and will have to add dramatically to his goal tally if speculation on his future is to go away.
Swiss defender Philipp Degen has barely been seen because of injuries, which his critics believe isn't a bad thing given his performances when available.
Diego Cavalieri was brought in as back up to Pepe Reina and has only appeared in three cup games up to now so can't really be judged.
Of all the signings on the playing front, Albert Riera has undoubtedly made the biggest impact as the Spanish winger has given Liverpool the width they so badly needed and proven himself to be a far better player than the one English football fans remembered from his loan spell at Man City in 2006.
On the whole, it wasn't Liverpool's most productive summer in the transfer market but there is one signing which stands out above all others.
When Benitez was on the lookout for an assistant manager Sammy Lee seemed like the obvious choice for the job.
Proven top class coaches with Premier League management experience and the universal respect of his peers don't come on the market too often, especially not ones who are steeped in the tradition of Liverpool Football Club.
Having been discarded by Bolton Lee was on the market at a time when the club he supported as a boy was on the lookout for a new addition to its backroom team.
The timing could not have been better for both parties and Lee was able to slot in seamlessly, even taking in a couple of days training at the end of last season.
As several of the players have since admitted it was as if Lee had never been away as he set up training drills for the squad to take part in and equally importantly added a Scouse accent to the mix of Benitez's staff and a knowledge of what makes Liverpool tick which was gained during his previous spells at the club as both coach and player.
You can't put a price on such experience and Lee's input since returning to Anfield has been invaluable.
Over the past couple of weeks, the 49-year-old has faced his biggest test since becoming Benitez's number two.
The illness which laid the Reds boss low and kept him away from first team duties meant someone had to fill his shoes and the command structure at Melwood made it inevitable that Lee would be that man.
At Arsenal last week, commander Benitez may have been directing operations by mobile phone but it was his understudy who was putting his orders into practice and the combination was enough to win Liverpool a hard earned point at what remains a difficult venue despite the Gunners' inconsistent league form so far this season.
Benitez trusts Lee totally and enjoys a relationship with him that he probably didn't have with Alex Miller, the coach whose departure to Japan at the end of last season created a space in the Liverpool backroom staff which Lee has filled.
He also respects Lee's vast knowledge of Liverpool as a football club and the way it should conduct itself and rightly so.
Having graduated from the Kop to go on and play for the Reds, Lee won League Championship and European Cup winners medals with Liverpool before coaching at Anfield under Gerard Houllier.
What Sammy Lee doesn't know about Liverpool Football Club probably isn't worth knowing and his knowledge alone has made him an invaluable member of Benitez's staff in the short time he has worked with the Spaniard.
The fact that he talks like a Liverpool coach from a bygone age, a modern day version of Ronnie Moran, is also a huge positive even if it doesn't give press men the easy headlines they are looking for.
It can be all too easy to get carried away with big four status, particularly with Liverpool having enjoyed their best start to a season in more than a decade.
But in the press conferences leading up to the Arsenal game, Lee was humble and understated and refused to take the bait certain individuals were offering him in the hope of getting a cheap headline.
On a couple of occasions he actually apologised in advance for talking in clichés, but he needn't have bothered because his routine Anfield speak is exactly what Liverpool needs right now.
This is no time for promises that can't be kept or for bold statements that could end up making the club look foolish at a later date. It is a time for feet to be kept on the ground and for perspective to be retained and Lee does that do perfection.
That is why Sammy Lee is the perfect man to be Rafa Benitez's number two and why he will take some beating as Liverpool's best summer signing.
:bowdown
Last edited by Scottbot on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:34 am

Sammy Lee went to SFX which says it all really.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:39 am

He adds great inspiration to the team and knows what winning is all about. Even though he is there on the touchline rafa still tends to have majority of the controle though. Sammy lee is a great adding to the liverpool staff.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:40 am

He has helped rafa to be relieved of pressure. That much is clear. And in no way am I undermining what Sammy Lee has done so far, but what rafa needs is an assistant that is of the status Sammy has, as in beloved icon, but can also say "no". All Sammy has proved is that he does what rafa says. We need someone who can argue against rafas decisions, not a "yes" man. The last couple of games have gone well but it would be ignorant to dismiss the decisions made during the season, and the questionable decisions.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:56 am

Kharhaz wrote:He has helped rafa to be relieved of pressure. That much is clear. And in no way am I undermining what Sammy Lee has done so far, but what rafa needs is an assistant that is of the status Sammy has, as in beloved icon, but can also say "no". All Sammy has proved is that he does what rafa says. We need someone who can argue against rafas decisions, not a "yes" man. The last couple of games have gone well but it would be ignorant to dismiss the decisions made during the season, and the questionable decisions.

Let's get another Number 2 in then...... :no  :no  :no
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:59 am

It's really difficult to say how much difference Sami has made without actually being involved in the set up. We're top of the league since he came, but it's a hard call on the manager to overstate his influence I think.

There are a number of factors which no doubt have come into play with regards us challenging, but exactly how much influence Sami has had is probably anyone's guess.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:02 am

bigmick wrote:It's really difficult to say how much difference Sami has made without actually being involved in the set up. We're top of the league since he came, but it's a hard call on the manager to overstate his influence I think.

There are a number of factors which no doubt have come into play with regards us challenging, but exactly how much influence Sami has had is probably anyone's guess.

Yeah it's all guesswork mate. I just couldn't help thinking back to last year when the forum was full of Columbos talking about their wives and how Pako's departure was such a seismic event.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:08 am

Scottbot wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:He has helped rafa to be relieved of pressure. That much is clear. And in no way am I undermining what Sammy Lee has done so far, but what rafa needs is an assistant that is of the status Sammy has, as in beloved icon, but can also say "no". All Sammy has proved is that he does what rafa says. We need someone who can argue against rafas decisions, not a "yes" man. The last couple of games have gone well but it would be ignorant to dismiss the decisions made during the season, and the questionable decisions.

Thats not what im saying. I appreciate what sammy has done, I really do. But there are times when rafa needs a reality check and no one he has employed will do that. Sammy knows himself how fragile a position is in football. He has tried his hand at management, and failed. He is, and whether or not anyone likes it, is now rafas yes man. He has taken a lot of pressure of rafa by becoming his assistant, but come the end of the season, will anyone point out to rafa his faults? no, even now a new contract is under way for him so even the owners have him as future manager. As a supporter all im saying is this, are we the only ones who will question his decisions? Yes its all good now, good results, but the season is far from over, and im not jumping on the "we are going to win the league" wagon. It could all go so wrong, and we are deluding ourselves if we think this season has gone brilliant so far. It hasnt. To challenge for the league is to win against Chelsea (which we have) and against United (which we have), we also have to beat stoke and hull at home (which we havent) and its in this we have to be real and look at the facts. There is still a long way to go this season, and I doubt we will see as much an influence with regards to Sammy come the end.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:14 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Thats not what im saying. I appreciate what sammy has done, I really do. But there are times when rafa needs a reality check and no one he has employed will do that. Sammy knows himself how fragile a position is in football. He has tried his hand at management, and failed. He is, and whether or not anyone likes it, is now rafas yes man. He has taken a lot of pressure of rafa by becoming his assistant, but come the end of the season, will anyone point out to rafa his faults? no, even now a new contract is under way for him so even the owners have him as future manager. As a supporter all im saying is this, are we the only ones who will question his decisions? Yes its all good now, good results, but the season is far from over, and im not jumping on the "we are going to win the league" wagon. It could all go so wrong, and we are deluding ourselves if we think this season has gone brilliant so far. It hasnt. To challenge for the league is to win against Chelsea (which we have) and against United (which we have), we also have to beat stoke and hull at home (which we havent) and its in this we have to be real and look at the facts. There is still a long way to go this season, and I doubt we will see as much an influence with regards to Sammy come the end.

But how many Premier League manager listen to their Assistants in that way? Can you imagine Quierez telling Rab.C Nesbit "NO" when he selects a specific line-up? Do you think Pat Rice does it at Arsenal? This type of stuff is all speculation but I don't think they do. Do you think Rafa would defer from his rafatation policy if his Assistant asked him to? I don't...
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:21 am

Scottbot wrote:Can you imagine Quierez telling Rab.C Nesbit "NO" when he selects a specific line-up?

Im guessing he would say "EH?"  :D
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:27 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Scottbot wrote:Can you imagine Quierez telling Rab.C Nesbit "NO" when he selects a specific line-up?

Im guessing he would say "EH?"  :D

:D

The Red Faced Bast....ard :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:59 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

His job is to assist Rafa not tell him how to do his job. And Rafa isnt going to hire someone who's going to want to do things their own way rather than his. Like it or not.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:03 am

Rush Job wrote:His job is to assist Rafa not tell him how to do his job. And Rafa isnt going to hire someone who's going to want to do things their own way rather than his. Like it or not.

Thats my point. Is it down to us supporters only to point out the faults while the "professionals" live in ignorance? Or should we all just shut up and support the manager?
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:03 am

Remember what happened when Pako said no?  Sammy Lee's at Liverpool because he agrees with Rafa's plans for the team and that's why he took the job.  It's not his job to criticize Rafa, he's there to help him with the team and that's all.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:14 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Rush Job wrote:His job is to assist Rafa not tell him how to do his job. And Rafa isnt going to hire someone who's going to want to do things their own way rather than his. Like it or not.

Thats my point. Is it down to us supporters only to point out the faults while the "professionals" live in ignorance? Or should we all just shut up and support the manager?

Criticizing a manager has never helped a club.  If you don't like the way things are going than you get a replacement.  Rafa is manager so he has to make the rules and his staff have to follow them because if he goes then they also go.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion