Should we, or should we not? - Should we buy cisse?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:07 pm

Should we buy Cisse or not, I'm still not sure and would like to see more of him.

What do you think?
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:08 pm

Never seen him do much in the games I've seen him for France. He was was very ordinary in the Confederations cup IMO. We should stop all transfers into Liverpool from the French League and Kermit should have to sell before he can buy. I think we gave away far too many players in the summer for whom we might have got some money, like Berger for example. He has had a decent season so far and we let him go on a free :(
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:04 pm

Berger's contract was up and the only chance we had to sell him (i.e. prior to January of 2003) he was injured and nobody would buy him. Still, I would have liked to have seen Berger given a proper chance, but realistically he was constantly injured and the club just had to draw a line under it.

I agree that Cisse is over rated. Maybe three years ago I might have been excited about him, but we have seen so many hyped players coming over from France and failing.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:43 pm

We could have extended Berger's contract and, in the form he has shown this season, probably got back his wages in a transfer fee.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1065305004 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:55 pm

Hopefully we will see sense and sell Heskey sooner rather than later before we think of wasting any more money on bad strikers! :angry:
116-1065305004

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:03 pm

Heskey wasn't worth £11m to start with, £7m would have been more realistic. Even so, his value must have decreased to such an extent that we would be lucky to get £2m-£3m for him now. It is time we cut our losses and Houllier had his transfer spending limited. Buy with what you earn by selling should be his restriction, maybe then the likes of Cheyrou and Heskey will finally exit stage LEFT!
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:07 pm

Should we buy Cisse? No. 

Many members of this forum have put forward names of British based players who have proven goal scoring records in the premiership. 

Houlier would be making another big mistake buying another player who would need time to settle into the British game. 

GH can't have it both ways.  He can't say that Diao, Cheyrou, Traore, Biscan and Vignal to mention but a few. Need time to settle! and then go out and buy another foreign based player who'll need the same time.

The only way that one works is if Houlier is admitting (albeit to himself) that what he's bought so far is crappy players with no future at liverpool.  If thats the case, a £114 million is very expensive lesson indeed.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:21 pm

Yeah, from now on I would prefer us signing British based players.

A few guys with at least two or three years experience in the Premiership would be ideal.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:11 pm

The likes of Anelka is what we need - players who are well under 30 with a good four or five years minimum in them and have already played for big(gish) clubs. No more buying from average French clubs or even average English clubs. True, sometimes you can unearth a brilliant player from some club most people don't even know much about but it is rare and proven quality is normally snapped up by big clubs fairly quickly. Houllier has dabbled in his mystic meg way of trying to foresee future stars but I'd rather he did less gambling. We need quality now and future stars should be 95% homegrown in my opinion anyway. Develop youngsters in the academy and quit buying up other clubs youngsters at over-inflated prices
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oldredeyes » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:51 pm

I would love to see more British based players as JBG suggested but there isn't a lot available who we could say would definitely improve the team at present. I do agree also that this French procession has to stop(are there no other countries in the world with young footballers?).
What concerns me is that Liverpool spent a fortune building and setting up our own Academy - but how many players coming through the academy ever get a chance to play for the team? we just seem to buy from other peoples academies - what's wrong with ours?
On a lighter note I understand Dundee have just gone bust and the administrator has sacked 25 players and staff. One of them is Ravanelli - maybe we should let him play for us until the end of the season. I bet he'd score more goals than Heskey and give us a bit of a laugh on the side.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:50 pm

no more money for houllier.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFC_Kopite » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:04 pm

So which superb british based strikers do any of you see us getting?

Henry? Van Nistelrooy? No and please don't say Beattie or Vassel..hahah.
LiverpoolFC_Kopite

Postby Owzat » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:23 am

On last night's performance I would love to have Henry in the team but Arsenal wouldn't want to let him go and the price could easily be £70m+
Henry is worth two players IMO and is by far the best all-round striker in the Premiership. Cheslki would be foolish not to persist in trying to sign him, they have the money and he would give any team he is in a good chance of winning the Premiership
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion