Director of football ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redmikey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:24 pm

i will quite happily take on the yes man role for a cheap 50 k a year a free tickets for me mate to the games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Anyone who thinks Rafa would even consider Kenny must be simple.

two characters like that would tear the fans and possibly the club down teh middle if we had a string of pooor results. 'Get rid of Rafa, make Kenny manager' or ' Kenny's past it and must go, Rafa take over everything'.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:12 am

Platini U18 transfer limit backed by clubs
Reuters - Today, 20:17

BRUSSELS - The top clubs and leagues have backed UEFA chief Michel Platini's proposal to scrap international transfers in Europe for players under 18, European football's governing body said on Monday.

Platini says an increase in the age limit is needed to fight the rising number of young players, notably from Africa and Latin America, being trafficked through Europe.

However, any new rule must be approved by the European Union (EU) where 16 is the minimum legal age for cross-border transfers. "All four groups (associations, clubs, leagues and players) agreed on the principle there should be no international transfers of minors (under-18 players) either into Europe or within Europe," UEFA said in a statement.

The agreement signed by UEFA, the European Club Association (representing 137 leading clubs such as Manchester United and Real Madrid), players union FIFPro and the European Premier Football Leagues also said players under-18 should sign their "first contract" with the club that developed them.

Last month EU Sports Commissioner Jan Figel said he was willing to consider asking the EU's 27 governments to support Platini's plan if the former French international could provide evidence it would stop exploitation of young players.

World football's governing body FIFA, which oversees international transfers, has also backed Platini's proposal.

---------------------------------------------

Probably shouldn't go in here, but as we seem to have moved on from Director of football to Director of the Academy , maybe its not so out of place.

I think IF its brought in it will be a good thing for the kids, being tempted into leaving home and moving to a completely new environment at such a young age usually leads to problems in their developement anyway.

For the kids from the poorer countries it may NOT be such a great idea. For many of them its a way out, an exit from poverty, civil strife and war. They get a chance to not only improve their lives, but if they do make it in football the lives of their family ,friends and villages.
account deleted by request

Postby fivecups » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:14 am

heimdall wrote:
s@int wrote:9/03/2009

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez wants old sidekick Frank McParland to join his management team in a major Anfield shake-up.

Benitez is keen to hook up again with McParland who quit the Kop to join Sammy Lee at Bolton Wanderers 18 months ago. He would like to create a Director of Football-style post for McParland, changing the behind-the-scenes landscape at Anfield.

McParland could take over some of the football duties that outgoing chief executive Rick Parry does - like negotiating for signings and renewing contracts.

McParland had a similar job at Watford when he left Bolton after Lee's axeing, although he left that post when the Hornets had their own shake-up.

Benitez's new contract is yet to be signed, but the appointment of McParland would suggest that the manager may stay on for the long-term after all.

Daily Mirror

I think if we were really looking for a Director of Football we would need a stronger and larger personality than McParland, who was after all only a scout(?) when he was here before.

A "yes man", is not what we are looking for , I would prefer someone like Dalglish, who knows players, knows the prem and knows just what Liverpool need to make the big step up. I am sure Kenny would not be a yes man, would have strong views and IF he could work with Rafa it would be a much better alternative.

I think the problem is that not many people can work with Rafa, unless they are yes men. Whatever else can be said about Rafa, I think it's fairly clear that he is an awkward bugger to deal with.
Kenny and Rafa sounds liek a dream ticket but i think it would be a bloody nightmare in reality, anyway let Rafa have full control and then we'll see what happens, maybe I'll be proved wrong and it was after all Rick Parrys fault, will be interestign to see, at least rafa has no more excuses now, oh well aprt from the owners of course    :p

Agree with that - he needs to be in control and is not going to work well on an equal footing with anyone else.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:16 am

It's probably a good idea in that it will encourage clubs to spend more if not all of their development budget in their own country. On the face of it it would appear to be the last thing that our club in particular needs, but presumeably there'd be a lead in time which will give us chance to sort ourselves out a bit.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:27 am

s@int wrote:Platini U18 transfer limit backed by clubs
Reuters - Today, 20:17

BRUSSELS - The top clubs and leagues have backed UEFA chief Michel Platini's proposal to scrap international transfers in Europe for players under 18, European football's governing body said on Monday.

Platini says an increase in the age limit is needed to fight the rising number of young players, notably from Africa and Latin America, being trafficked through Europe.

However, any new rule must be approved by the European Union (EU) where 16 is the minimum legal age for cross-border transfers. "All four groups (associations, clubs, leagues and players) agreed on the principle there should be no international transfers of minors (under-18 players) either into Europe or within Europe," UEFA said in a statement.

The agreement signed by UEFA, the European Club Association (representing 137 leading clubs such as Manchester United and Real Madrid), players union FIFPro and the European Premier Football Leagues also said players under-18 should sign their "first contract" with the club that developed them.

Last month EU Sports Commissioner Jan Figel said he was willing to consider asking the EU's 27 governments to support Platini's plan if the former French international could provide evidence it would stop exploitation of young players.

World football's governing body FIFA, which oversees international transfers, has also backed Platini's proposal.

---------------------------------------------

Probably shouldn't go in here, but as we seem to have moved on from Director of football to Director of the Academy , maybe its not so out of place.

I think IF its brought in it will be a good thing for the kids, being tempted into leaving home and moving to a completely new environment at such a young age usually leads to problems in their developement anyway.

For the kids from the poorer countries it may NOT be such a great idea. For many of them its a way out, an exit from poverty, civil strife and war. They get a chance to not only improve their lives, but if they do make it in football the lives of their family ,friends and villages.

I cant see French clubs liking that - they normally get loads of yougsters from French speaking countries in Africa.

Essien, Drogba etc - they've made a fortune on those players.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:46 am

That ban only seems to apply to players moving between clubs. It would still be possible for kids from developing countries to be scouted and signed for European teams so long as they were free agents.

I agree with a transfer ban though. At the moment it benefits British clubs because of the differences in pro contracts in different countries. In Spain players must be 18, here 16. This is why Arsenal got Fabregas and we got Pacheco. Great when it works in our favour but it's not exactly sporting is it?
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:56 am

Bammo wrote:That ban only seems to apply to players moving between clubs. It would still be possible for kids from developing countries to be scouted and signed for European teams so long as they were free agents.

I agree with a transfer ban though. At the moment it benefits British clubs because of the differences in pro contracts in different countries. In Spain players must be 18, here 16. This is why Arsenal got Fabregas and we got Pacheco. Great when it works in our favour but it's not exactly sporting is it?

I think you are right mate and I got the wrong impression when I read it.
account deleted by request

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion