Director of football ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:31 pm

9/03/2009

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez wants old sidekick Frank McParland to join his management team in a major Anfield shake-up.

Benitez is keen to hook up again with McParland who quit the Kop to join Sammy Lee at Bolton Wanderers 18 months ago. He would like to create a Director of Football-style post for McParland, changing the behind-the-scenes landscape at Anfield.

McParland could take over some of the football duties that outgoing chief executive Rick Parry does - like negotiating for signings and renewing contracts.

McParland had a similar job at Watford when he left Bolton after Lee's axeing, although he left that post when the Hornets had their own shake-up.

Benitez's new contract is yet to be signed, but the appointment of McParland would suggest that the manager may stay on for the long-term after all.

Daily Mirror

I think if we were really looking for a Director of Football we would need a stronger and larger personality than McParland, who was after all only a scout(?) when he was here before.

A "yes man", is not what we are looking for , I would prefer someone like Dalglish, who knows players, knows the prem and knows just what Liverpool need to make the big step up. I am sure Kenny would not be a yes man, would have strong views and IF he could work with Rafa it would be a much better alternative.
account deleted by request

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:45 pm

s@int wrote:9/03/2009

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez wants old sidekick Frank McParland to join his management team in a major Anfield shake-up.

Benitez is keen to hook up again with McParland who quit the Kop to join Sammy Lee at Bolton Wanderers 18 months ago. He would like to create a Director of Football-style post for McParland, changing the behind-the-scenes landscape at Anfield.

McParland could take over some of the football duties that outgoing chief executive Rick Parry does - like negotiating for signings and renewing contracts.

McParland had a similar job at Watford when he left Bolton after Lee's axeing, although he left that post when the Hornets had their own shake-up.

Benitez's new contract is yet to be signed, but the appointment of McParland would suggest that the manager may stay on for the long-term after all.

Daily Mirror

I think if we were really looking for a Director of Football we would need a stronger and larger personality than McParland, who was after all only a scout(?) when he was here before.

A "yes man", is not what we are looking for , I would prefer someone like Dalglish, who knows players, knows the prem and knows just what Liverpool need to make the big step up. I am sure Kenny would not be a yes man, would have strong views and IF he could work with Rafa it would be a much better alternative.

I think the problem is that not many people can work with Rafa, unless they are yes men. Whatever else can be said about Rafa, I think it's fairly clear that he is an awkward bugger to deal with.
Kenny and Rafa sounds liek a dream ticket but i think it would be a bloody nightmare in reality, anyway let Rafa have full control and then we'll see what happens, maybe I'll be proved wrong and it was after all Rick Parrys fault, will be interestign to see, at least rafa has no more excuses now, oh well aprt from the owners of course    :p
heimdall

Postby Judge » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:53 pm

give dalglish the managers job, and the director job to benitez
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Judge wrote:give dalglish the managers job, and the director job to benitez

Nope I'd keep Rafa as a coach and get Maureen, O'Neill or King Kenny in as manager, I think it's unlikely Rafa would accept that though.  :eyebrow
heimdall

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:59 pm

McParland joined Sammy Lee 18 moths ago.

So it's quite likely, that Rafa has heard the advice of Sammy Lee to sign him up, as Sammy probably knows McParland well.

That would suggest that Sammy is not a Yes Man, and actually gives advices of his own, which Rafa (the arrogant) apparently takes under consideration.

That's what I thought when I read the article. Then I read Heimdall and I saw the light. Clearly McParland is a Yes Man if he decides to work under Rafa.

I don't know what I'd do without the knowledgeable opinions of this forum.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Sabre wrote:McParland joined Sammy Lee 18 moths ago.

So it's quite likely, that Rafa has heard the advice of Sammy Lee to sign him up, as Sammy probably knows McParland well.

That would suggest that Sammy is not a Yes Man, and actually gives advices of his own, which Rafa (the arrogant) apparently takes under consideration.

That's what I thought when I read the article. Then I read Heimdall and I saw the light. Clearly McParland is a Yes Man if he decides to work under Rafa.

You'd probably be less stressed. :p

So McParland is a yes man to Sammy who in turn is a yes man to Rafa, cool that's exactly what we need. LOL  :D  :D
heimdall

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:02 pm

heimdall wrote:

So McParland is a yes man to Sammy who in turn is a yes man to Rafa, cool that's exactly what we need. LOL  :D  :D

:D  :D yes but who will his yes man be??
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Latest rumours on RAWK from a reliable source (Gedo) are that McParland will be Director of the Academy, not Director of football.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:52 pm

GRAHAM01 wrote:
heimdall wrote:

:D  :D yes but who will his yes man be??

who else, Uncle Albert of course  :D
heimdall

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:58 pm

he the man :D :D
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:45 pm

Bammo wrote:Latest rumours on RAWK from a reliable source (Gedo) are that McParland will be Director of the Academy, not Director of football.

didn't we just get a new one of them this or last summer.  Hamburg? or Owens?
JoeTerp

Postby Bammo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:55 pm

According to the official site Owens only took over when Heighway left. Maybe Benitez only sees him as a temporary replacement?

I've not got a clue really :D I'm just passing on what they're saying at RAWK. There's so many rumours flying round at the moment we all seem to jump on any scrap we can ten have pages and pages of discussion about things that probably won't happen.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:04 pm

Diector of the academy sounds more sensible. There seems little point in a manager dictating who should be the director of football, given the director of footballs primary role amongst other things is to oversee the manager, keep the checks and balances on his dealings.

No, if we are going to have a director of football (and I don't think we should) he should be appointed independent of the manager, otherwise there's no point.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simolonge » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:58 pm

It does often amuse me the way that fans talk about ruthlessness and not being sentimental and then advocate Dalglish getting the Director of Football, Manager, Tea LAdy and Academy Director jos in the same breath.
simolonge

Postby Effes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Isn't Parry's son involved at the Academy? Maybe he's had his P45 too.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion