Alan hansen - don't give up!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby europian-kings » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Haven't seen this posted yet, if i am wrong feel free to delete the topic.

Just seen this article on lfc.tv:

Alan Hansen believes Liverpool must not give up on their Barclays Premier League ambitions - despite their stuttering domestic form. 
The Reds have slipped to seven points behind league leaders Manchester United following last weekend's stalemate with Manchester City at Anfield.

However, Hansen has urged the Liverpool players and fans not to lose any belief in their title challenge.

"Liverpool have drawn too many games at Anfield and it is costing us," the Anfield legend told LFC Magazine.

"The 1-1 draw with Manchester City was very disappointing and leaves us seven points behind Manchester United with 12 games to play.

"I can understand supporters being despondent at that fact but there are two ways in which the players, manager and fans can respond.

"Do we lie down and die, or do we keep on going?

"I think it is so, so important that we keep on having a go and believing that our title chances are not over.

"It's never over until it's over. Until the medals are handed out, it is still to play for and that is the attitude we have all got to take."

Hansen feels it is too early for anyone to be dismissing Liverpool's title aspirations and is confident the Reds still have much to play for in the remainder of the season.

"There have been far bigger upsets in football than it would be if Liverpool came back to win the Premier League from this position," he added.

"Even if it was impossible then Liverpool must still continue to do well in the Premier League because that will improve our chances of winning the Champions League.

"We've got to get some momentum from somewhere and how you perform in the Premier League can have a knock-on effect in how you perform in the Champions League, and vice versa.

"When you get a result like the 1-1 draw against Manchester City and see the league table afterwards, it is very difficult to be upbeat but the players have really got to stand up and be counted now.

"They've got to show over the coming months that they are as good as we've been saying they are all season.

"We've got to look forward. There are still two trophies to be won and there are still big games coming up to play in, so the players have got to pick themselves up.

"They can roll over and die or they can put that red jersey on, roll their sleeves up and compete because you just don't know how things could turn out."

Some really ecouraging words there from hansen, i really like this last sentence and can name a list of players in the sqaud willing to do that. It's just a couple that let us down in my opinion.

It's true what he says though. Yes 9/10 of us deep down believe it is over and no doubt will say it's our own fault for drawing to many games at home etc...but just because we are 7 points behind doesn't mean we should give up fighting for the title and beliving.

We have got Middlesboro tomorrow, after finally getting a win on the board against west ham they will want to get another so this game won't be the easiest, but if we can win we will cut the gap to 4 points (with united playing the carling cup final this weekend).
We have then got Sunderland at home while Newcastle 'entertain' Man United. Assuming both teams win here the gap will still be 4 points.

Then comes the big game at Old Trafford (otherwise known as my toilet). If we could somehow manage a win here then the gap would be cut to 1 point and although united would have a game in hand they would start to feel the pressure again.

This isn't trying to make everybody change their views that our title is still infact on and i know that i am really hanging on thin thread here but football is a strange game and it can all change in one mistake.
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:48 pm

It only takes 1 or 2 bad results for Utd and we are back in it. Does anyone know the last time Utd lost at home in the league? It's going to be really tough to do, even tougher than it was to win at Chelsea or Madrid but we have to somehow take some points of them.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:55 pm

I agree with the bit about there being far greater shocks in football than us coming back from this. This is absolutely nowhere near an Istanbul situation, not even close. If the situation was reversed, the bookies would still have the Mancs as favourites I reckon. 11 wins and a draw from our last 12 sees us crowned Champions IMHO. With our best available team in every game we might even do it. We won't though.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:00 pm

By the time United play again in the league we could be only one point behind them in the League, assuming we bear Boro and Sunderland which are no gimmies. At least that puts the pressure on United somewhat. They have to go to Newcastle on Wednesday and whilst you'd expect them to win there, that's no gimmie either.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:05 pm

do the mancs not play this weekend?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:06 pm

carling cup on sunday  v spuds
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Problem is the mancs show no signs of slipping up, even with a congested schedule and some players absent through injury and suspension. We win at their's and we can make the gap just four points, what we need to do is stop dropping points ourselves ie make sure of our own results, and we simply haven't been able to do that. They picked up points despite injuries, fatigue and suspension, we were missing Alonso and Gerrard and couldn't beat Citeh at home.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Three wins on the bounce now and we are back in it.

Only slight problem is that the 3rd game is at OT.
mkingdom

Postby Effes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:29 pm

Im telling you now - there is no way we should give up the fight.

If Rafa fecks around with the team resting players, my patience will have finally gone.

Best 11 on Saturday, best 11 on Tuesday.

No 2 ways about it.
Last edited by Effes on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Effes wrote:Im telling you now - there is no way we should give up the fight.

If Rafa fecks around with the team resting players, my patience will have finally gone.

No 2 ways about it.

Now why did you go and say that?

You know quite well that Rafa will read that and do exactly the opposite

When will people learn?
:;):
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Jocky thinking like me  :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:44 am

I like this post its very good I hope we can really do it be great come back but like big mick I really doubt we can tho.

But it won't stop we cheering my team on in every game like I do every week I don't see what else 1 fan can do.

But its not over , of course not its all in the mancs hands but fergie loves it that way cos the cheating fat red nosed wiskey/wine drinking mug always knows he can pull wins out of bag I wish and hope just for once his luck changes and for once the manc's don't get rub of the green.
Last edited by LegBarnes on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:22 am

Effes wrote:If Rafa fecks around with the team resting players, my patience will have finally gone.

No 2 ways about it.

I've read Torres is a doubt, that puts a substandard striker up front.

Whatever happens we have to win at old trafford, if that means a weaker side on the preceding Tuesday then so be it. We have an extra days rest after the CL return legs, we managed to win at the Bernie Inn without Gerrard and much of a contribution from Torres so I'd certainly be playing as strong an XI as possible this weekend and against Sunderland. Torres may well be able to play all but the Boro game, he had around half an hour rest plus 90 mins to rest today should be enough for him to play 180 mins in a week. Gerrard should be rested, not sure the rest will make a significant difference in the main ie CBs could be any two from four, LBs don't make any difference what we think anyway and LM & RM aren't likely to be that influential so it only leaves CM which needs to be at least one of Mascherano and Alonso if not both.

I say we have to give less of a shit about the CL 2nd leg if we want to go all out and win our next three league games. How will people feel if we give it our all against Real and lose players to injury or go to extra time, then lose at old trafford and our season is over? (bar maybe the CL) We're in as good a position as we may ever be, however some are letting sentimentality over the European Cup cloud judgement on what is an opportunity in the Premiership that could be lost due to taking our eyes off the ball ie having eyes on two things at once. We score one against Real and they have to score two, something only Hull and Wigan have done at Anfield this season.

I think we've already spent too long this season focusing on the wrong thing by watching Chelsea when in fact the mancs were always the main threat. Maybe we got a bit complacent because Chelsea were dropping points, the mancs have kept winning with ruthless efficiency and we now want to focus on the wrong thing again because some fans - probably the same who accused Rafa of wrong priorities - want us to continue on two fronts. We could easily lose at any stage after Real Madrid, I'd rather give the league all our attention and then at least we can't blame other distraction(s). Just imagine if the players in Istanbul had decided 0-3 was too much to catch up, took it easy thinking of sunny beaches and next season. Next season we might have a strong man utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Citeh and villa side to compete with.
Last edited by Owzat on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:32 am

Owzat wrote:
Effes wrote:If Rafa fecks around with the team resting players, my patience will have finally gone.

No 2 ways about it.

I've read Torres is a doubt, that puts a substandard striker up front.

Whatever happens we have to win at old trafford, if that means a weaker side on the preceding Tuesday then so be it. We have an extra days rest after the CL return legs, we managed to win at the Bernie Inn without Gerrard and much of a contribution from Torres so I'd certainly be playing as strong an XI as possible this weekend and against Sunderland. Torres may well be able to play all but the Boro game, he had around half an hour rest plus 90 mins to rest today should be enough for him to play 180 mins in a week. Gerrard should be rested, not sure the rest will make a significant difference in the main ie CBs could be any two from four, LBs don't make any difference what we think anyway and LM & RM aren't likely to be that influential so it only leaves CM which needs to be at least one of Mascherano and Alonso if not both.

Owzat, Are you saying rest Gerrard today or against Sunderland.

I think the lad should play both.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion